>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
[imgr]http://www.smugmug.com/photos/132551955-O.jpg[/imgr]Photo Contests Re-imagined.
Forget what you know about old skool photo challenges. We've made them obsolete. Get ready for the most compelling photographic contest ever devised!

Your work seen by millions.

Knockout competition.

Huge Cash Prizes.

Every two weeks, your goal is to become one of the 50 qualifiers to compete in the semifinals. The public will decide if you'll compete against 40 others, who think they can beat you for the Grand Prize. Will you be The Last Photographer Standing?

132527849-O.gif 132527892-O.gif

Thanks to our Artist-in-Residence Shay Stephens for the major design elements of this contest!

LPS History
(links for reference)

1 - Chilled or Steamy - entries, finalists, judges critique
2 - Stately or Humble - entries, finalists, judges critique
3 - Irregular or Picturesque - entries, finalists, judges critique
4 - Artificial or Organic - entries, finalists, judges critique
5 - Translucent or Silhouette - entries, finalists, judges critique
SF1 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
6 - Curvy or Angular - entries, finalists, judges critique
7 - Joy or Sorrow - entries, finalists, judges critique
8 - Explosive or Sedate - entries, finalists, judges critique
9 - Freedom or Oppression - entries, finalists, judges critique
10 - Surf or Turf - entries, finalists, judges critique
SF2 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
11 - Man or Machine - entries, finalists, judges critique
12 - Sin or Virtue - entries, finalists, judges critique
13 - Light or Shadow - entries, finalists, judges critique
14 - Craggy or Smooth - entries, finalists, judges critique
15 - Colorful or Monochromatic - entries, finalists, judges critique
SF3 - (open) - entries, finalists, judges critique
16 - Flash or Ambient - entries, finalists, judges critique
17 - Growth or Decay - entries, finalists, judges critique
18 - Seconds or Milliseconds - entries, finalists, judges critique
19 - Thoughts or Actions - entries, finalists, critique
20 - Face or Hands - entries, finalists, critique
SF4 - (open) - entries, finalists
Grand Finale - entries, voting (and winner, Vandana!!!)

LPS History
We've created smugmug galleries to hold all the best photos, HERE!

LPS FAQ's (threads)

Comments

• nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    :jawdrop Forums are gonna get pretty busy here soon once the word gets out.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    nikos wrote:
    :jawdrop Forums are gonna get pretty busy here soon once the word gets out.
    We hope so ... please dont hold back spreading the word.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Just a small note, in the above graphic it says underneath Grand Prize $25,000. The $25,000 is total for all the winners, not just grand prize correct? Even though it says total prizes it makes it look like the Grand Prize winner gets $25,000 in prizes, be it cash or other stuff. Don't want people to be confused!
  • ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    I think that the more the word spreads, the potential for learning here multiplys greatly. Can't wait to see some new faces and styles. Cudos to all involved in starting such a well thought out contest! I see this as a great oppertunity to share different perspectives, and artistic views on what looks to be some interesting themes.
    Good luck to all.
    Cant wait to see some mind blowing shots!
    -Barry
    :thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 6, 2007
    ButterNutz wrote:
    I think that the more the word spreads, the potential for learning here multiplys greatly. Can't wait to see some new faces and styles. Cudos to all involved in starting such a well thought out contest! I see this as a great oppertunity to share different perspectives, and artistic views on what looks to be some interesting themes.
    Good luck to all.
    Cant wait to see some mind blowing shots!
    -Barry

that's the spirit thumb.gifclap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 6, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Just a small note, in the above graphic it says underneath Grand Prize $25,000. The $25,000 is total for all the winners, not just grand prize correct? Even though it says total prizes it makes it look like the Grand Prize winner gets $25,000 in prizes, be it cash or other stuff. Don't want people to be confused!
    You ever try promoting anything? deal.gif

You have 3 seconds to capture your audience. You can't read the following in 3 seconds:

4 public choice awards get w, x, y, z
    the winner winner gets A
    the runners up get B

...you get the idea. You have to come HERE to read the fine print, and that is exactly the point! When you enter bike or running races, the pots are always advertised this way "total purse" or "total pot". There's nothing deceiving about it, we just have to be to the point.
    nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    A little concern
    The stakes for the new contest are set rather high. I mean, all four of the $1,500 semifinal prizes and the ultimate $7.500 Grand Prix - it's a lot of money. And they all are finally decided by an open public vote. Now, how hard is it to register a few (dozen) times under a name like L33t_4Rt1st or GeekWithQamera with the single purpose to vote for a particular candidate (presumed the fact that this person got through the qualification tours).

I was wondering if it's possible to have a "post count census", e.g. only allow people with say, 100 posts, to vote? Or verify the IPs (yes, I'm well aware of proxies and DHCP).

Or maybe it's just me being paranoid...headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Every new member of Dgrin must be approved by an admin. There's no automation here, we check every email and every IP. We'll add admins before we start discriminating based on post count.
    Erik

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Go shoot, Nik. We've got it covered deal.gif
    edited March 6, 2007
    Great,
    Andy wrote:
    Go shoot, Nik. We've got it covered deal.gif

Glad you guys thought of this! clap.gif
    Now I can go shoot me some winners:-) :ivar mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Thanks for the clarification, that paranoia hit me also, after all how difficult it is to have a few fake IDs?
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    How about a book?
    I think a book should be made of all the winning photos complete w/EXIF from the contest- with the LPS getting the cover and two page spread! LPS would also receive a free copy.

Book could be made available to purchase by all members and income created could go towards next years Grand Prize.

Any thoughts??

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I think a book should be made of all the winning photos complete w/EXIF from the contest- with the LPS getting the cover and two page spread! LPS would also receive a free copy.

Book could be made available to purchase by all members and income created could go towards next years Grand Prize.

Any thoughts??

Aaron

The problem with that is the contest goes from what it is, to being a way to get people to buy vanity books. That idea is already being done anyway. I get emails all the time about it. It's not a total scam, but it gets too close for comfort in my book.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • burning danburning dan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2007
    editing rules?
    I haven't seen any mention of acceptable photoshopping?
    none - direct from camera only? (rather - I guess resizing only?)
    cropping?
    only photo-wide corrections? like more contrast without using layer masks?
    specific corrections? like adjusting curves for only part of the photo?
    collaging multiple photos into the final submission?

I apologize if you've already answered this - I did look about before asking.
    thanks
    edited March 8, 2007
    I haven't seen any mention of acceptable photoshopping?
    none - direct from camera only? (rather - I guess resizing only?)
    cropping?
    only photo-wide corrections? like more contrast without using layer masks?
    specific corrections? like adjusting curves for only part of the photo?
    collaging multiple photos into the final submission?

I apologize if you've already answered this - I did look about before asking.
    thanks

It's not in the rules because there really shouldn't be an artificial limit placed on what the photographer wants to do. If a photographer goes over the edge into mostly illustration or something, then they better make it really good to make it in a photography contest mwink.gif

You are the artist. You decide what to do! thumb.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    I think Andy responded to that a few days ago. Basically: no limit on PS. If you do a bad PS job you'll fall out in the initial stage anyway.

Amazing, simple common-sense rules to a competition. thumb.gif
  • esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    This is a wonderful idea. Kudos to the folks in power. thumb.gif
    edited March 8, 2007
    The problem with that is the contest goes from what it is, to being a way to get people to buy vanity books. That idea is already being done anyway. I get emails all the time about it. It's not a total scam, but it gets too close for comfort in my book.

Well I see where some people may get that impression but for those that compete and even win a contest it would be great to see all the winning shots.

If the profit went back into the competition it would just be an added bonus, after all no one has to purchase it but if others have asked- then it may be worth looking into.

Maybe create a poll to judge interest?

Aaron

Aaron Newman

edited March 8, 2007
    Aaron,
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Well I see where some people may get that impression but for those that compete and even win a contest it would be great to see all the winning shots.

If the profit went back into the competition it would just be an added bonus, after all no one has to purchase it but if others have asked- then it may be worth looking into.

Aaron

I don't want to sound like a bad guy, but I assumed that the copyright and all the publishing rights (except dgrin/smugmug rights to use this contest as a promotion) remain in the author's ownership. I personally would think hard about my pictures being included into any book without my explicit consent, especially the one that is sold for profit...ne_nau.gif
    Again, it may be just me.... But I've seen a lot of "online contests" whose sole purpose was to get some decent pictures and use them at organizers' descretion - free of charge...
    Luckily for this one we're not submitting originals, and I don't think it's technically possible to make a decent print out of 600x800x72ppi..
    FWIW...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't want to sound like a bad guy, but I assumed that the copyright and all the publishing rights (except dgrin/smugmug rights to use this contest as a promotion) remain in the author's ownership.
    Nik, have you read the rules, this is a competition run by photographers, for photographers :D We get it deal.gif
    The Rules wrote:
    Copyright, ownership: entries remain the property of the photographer. Other than for publicity purposes at Dgrin or SmugMug, we don't have any rights to use your photo, period.

And by publicity, we mean, we can display the photo in galleries, to promote the contest, that sort of thing. These are your photos, not ours.
    edited March 8, 2007
    Andy,
    Andy wrote:
    Nik, have you read the rules, this is a competition run by photographers, for photographers :D We get it deal.gif

And by publicity, we mean, we can display the photo in galleries, to promote the contest, that sort of thing. These are your photos, not ours.

Yes, I have read the rules, and that was my interpretation of them. But Aaron was suggesting something that IMHO was conflicting with them so I decided to pitch...

OK, back to my shooting cave now :hide
    edited March 8, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:

Aaron
    Aaron, you can create poll, don't need us to do it.

You can also look into making the book yourself. That's not snarky, that's the truth.

You or us, it doesn't matter, rights would have to be aquired, book would have to be put together, and I'm sure a minimun number would have to be promised/purchased to any publisher. It's a big undertaking and would certainly require some sort of "spam" no matter how you cut it. The latter part is firmly against Dgrin policy.
    Erik

edited March 8, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Aaron, you can create poll, don't need us to do it.

You can also look into making the book yourself. That's not snarky, that's the truth.

You or us, it doesn't matter, rights would have to be aquired, book would have to be put together, and I'm sure a minimun number would have to be promised/purchased to any publisher. It's a big undertaking and would certainly require some sort of "spam" no matter how you cut it. The latter part is firmly against Dgrin policy.

nuff said- sounds as though it is not worth the effort and possible conflict.

I was assuming others would like to see a book of all the great shots- know what they say about assuming though- Makes ass- u- me. :D

I'll get my camera and got shoot now.

Aaron Newman

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Sounds like a great idea. Even if I can't make every bi-weekly session, I'm not out all together.

My one questions to Andy is...
    ...in the rules section you have links to EXIF data and how to see it. Good.

But the picture. The latex gloves on the smugmuggers ne_nau.gif ...just kinda, well, creepy eek7.gifeek7.gif

biggrinbounce2.gifbiggrinbounce2.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited March 8, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    ...I was assuming others would like to see a book of all the great shots- know what they say about assuming though- Makes ass- u- me. :D

Thing is, we are making them public for all to oogle over. Those great shots will be found in the Dgrin online gallery.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • LynieLynie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    Chilled *OR* Steamy....
    Is it ok that an entry be both chilled and steamy or does it have to be one or the other?? ne_nau.gif
    Lynie
    ~Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop.~
    -Anonymous-
    :thumb

edited March 10, 2007
    Lynie wrote:
    Is it ok that an entry be both chilled and steamy or does it have to be one or the other?? ne_nau.gif
    The theme is meant to inspire and be openly interpretable. If the theme moves you toward both, then follow that inspiration.

Part of this contest is to help grow the artist in all of us. And art has a big supporter in inspiration and imagination. I hope the contest will foster those traits.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    A question about prizes
    Public choice awards. There are 4 of them, and the prizes say 1st, second 3rd and 4-th through tenth.
    So does that mean that there are 10 winners of each public choice award?
    edited March 11, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Public choice awards. There are 4 of them, and the prizes say 1st, second 3rd and 4-th through tenth.
    So does that mean that there are 10 winners of each public choice award?
    Yes.

Prizes will be awarded 10 deep in the semifinal rounds, based on voting.

The Grande Finale is just that... the Last Photographer Standing nod.gif
    Erik

• LynieLynie Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    If we don't make it through the first round, we can go again in the second right?
    Lynie
    ~Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop.~
    -Anonymous-
    :thumb