Options

Richard visits Chicago

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
edited October 21, 2008 in Landscapes
One of our esteemed moderators, Richard, recently visited the Chicago area. We arranged a morning earlier this week to meet up in downtown Chicago at what has become the default location, The Bean. See the last Bean meet-up threads:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96643
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96687
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=856771

I had only three hours to shoot with Richard before hopping the train back to work.

Richard is seen here focusing on something in Millenium Park.
395787184_dSSqW-O.jpg

Autumn trees with the city backdrop can be quite picturesque, even if it is an ISO 400 day.
395787197_ALSqL-O.jpg

A view of part of the Millenium Park pedestrian bridge over Columbus Drive.
395787200_mQsdJ-O.jpg

"Sorry, folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya."
The idea was to shoot around Millenium Park, which can take a few hours in itself. Today was Columbus Day, a holiday complete with parade nearby. Why Millenium Park needed to be closed off to the public was a mystery. We were told to leave the bridge and general vacinity altogether.
395787207_ohHzY-O.jpg

So we walked away. That wasn't a half bad decision. Venturing around the park and then under it revealed a vast cavernous and dark world. We were two levels underneath at this point.
395787211_CRnb9-O.jpg

There were lots of big pipes. But no steam. Where was the wonderful leaking steam that would have made this shot too cool? We were probably a few months too early for that.
395787218_yyHmU-O.jpg

While the underworld of Chicago was built for people, some locations were clearly off-limits to us. How photographers could pose a threat to themselves inside a gated 14,400 volt power substation is beyond me.
395787223_Am2QK-O.jpg

Trains live and work below the entire Grant Park area of the lakefront. Richard probably has the better train shots. I will just hint of them with this. These were ISO3200+ lighting conditions.
395787232_efsJB-O.jpg

We eventually emerged back up to street level, then north to the river area. Kids had the day off. Skate boarders surrounded us. This was shot quickly from the hip. Shoot straight into the sun. Smart! Photoshop H&S helped greatly with what was left of this pic.
395787236_nZeP3-O.jpg

The Greenpeace Squads were out in force requesting everyone to help save the planet. I helped by promoting their cause on these pages.
395787241_N4MtC-O.jpg

In the Carbonite & Carbon building, a half dozen solid brass elevator doors greet everyone in the main lobby. They don't make them like this anymore. 395787245_ZzFqt-O.jpg

The old and the new. Trump tower, at right, is almost finished. This building was occupied when 1/3rd completed. How they put up with the construction noise and vibration is anyone's guess.
395787253_ySKGw-O.jpg

Chicago River. Marina Towers. Riverwalk restaurants, etc. Architectural/History boat tours seem continuous.
395787260_3uc3k-O.jpg

One of the lower River patio lunch spots. We ate lunch down there. Riverboats passed by to the sound of Trump construction workers using what had to be mining equipment across the way.
395787269_5oN55-O.jpg

So we had a great visit; didn't talk about Smugmug or Dgrin too much, shot lots of photos and viewed things neither one of us had seen before. Richard received a new Smugmug red hat to promote Smuggy to the good people of Madrid.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    :D Nice phots
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited October 17, 2008
    Hey David,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to meet.

Nice pics thumb.gif. We didn't have the best light that day, but exploring the underground world there was new to me and very cool. I'll post a few of mine once I get over my jet lag. I still don't know whether it's time for breakfast or dinner. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    Great set! I love the barbed wire photo a lot.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
    David, great set and it looks like you covered every interesting inch of the city.

I'm very jealous, but thanks for sharing these shots. I love seeing you get out and shoot!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2008
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Wow! Sorry I missed this first time through! Looks like another great, fun, Chicago shoot.
    Davids85 is a great host!

Richard - looking forward to seeing your perspective.

ann
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Wow! Sorry I missed this first time through! Looks like another great, fun, Chicago shoot.
    Davids85 is a great host!
    Richard - looking forward to seeing your perspective.
    ann

Hehehe. Was actually the other way around. I live near Chicago, but rarely visit there. Richard grew up in Chicago, and no doubt knew way more about it than I will ever know.

The last time I was in the City was when you were here visiting and we all met, where else... at The Bean.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Awesome! Looks like you had a great time shooting. I enjoyed the whole series, but I think the last one is my favorite. Thanks for sharing them.

James
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    jamesl wrote:
    Awesome! Looks like you had a great time shooting. I enjoyed the whole series, but I think the last one is my favorite. Thanks for sharing them.

James

Thanks, James. Three hours is simply not enough time to do a shoot such as that. But it was enough to have a visit with Richard, so it was well worth it. The last displayed shot was also my fave.

I just browsed through your thread on your Colorado trip and they all look super.

I completed a Colorado trip of my own a couple weeks ago that I need to make into a Journey thread.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    I finally got around to processing some of the pics that I shot on my visit with David. Lots of stuff similar to what David posted, but here are some that are a little bit different:

398327782_wcaTh-L.jpg

The Marshall Fields clock, an icon on State Street. Marshall Fields was bought out by Macy's a few years ago, but Chicagoans raised such a fuss that they left the original name.

398328314_3cbEm-L.jpg
    The El on Wabash Avenue, seen in typical gray, winterish light.

398328807_Tposs-L.jpg

The Crown Fountain in Millennium Park, created by Catalan artist Jaume Plensa. Unfortunately the water wasn't turned on that day. When it is, there is a shallow reflecting pool where the people are standing.

398328981_2fwMD-L.jpg
    Cleaning up The Bean, the most famous sculpture in the park. It's real name is Cloud Gate, and it was created by British artist Anish Kapoor. Here's another view:
    398329259_yTiZh-L.jpg
    As you can see, it was completely overcast that morning. Too bad, since getting sky reflections with the buildings can be great fun.

398330232_csJxm-L.jpg

The trees were just starting to change color. Behind them is the concert pavillion designed by Frank Gehry.

398330825_caASh-L.jpg

David takes a snapshot for a couple of tourists on a bridge also designed by Gehry. Great views of the Michigan Ave. skyline from there.

398331384_r9z5d-L.jpg
    Below the streets is a whole different world. I lived in Chicago for twenty years without knowing that it even existed.

398331889_BHq4e-L.jpg
    This is what's on the street above the underground pic. Rather different feeling.

398332391_6mwt4-L.jpg
    Looking up from the same spot. If you like shooting reflections, downtown Chicago is a real playground.

Cheers,
  • Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Thanks, James. Three hours is simply not enough time to do a shoot such as that. But it was enough to have a visit with Richard, so it was well worth it. The last displayed shot was also my fave.

I just browsed through your thread on your Colorado trip and they all look super.

I completed a Colorado trip of my own a couple weeks ago that I need to make into a Journey thread.

Sweet! Get 'em up so that we can see them. :D

james
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    One of our esteemed moderators, Richard, recently visited the Chicago area. We arranged a morning earlier this week to meet up in downtown Chicago at what has become the default location, The Bean. See the last Bean meet-up threads:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96643
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96687
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=856771

(SNIP)
    There were lots of big pipes. But no steam. Where was the wonderful leaking steam that would have made this shot too cool? We were probably a few months too early for that.
    395787218_yyHmU-O.jpg

(SNIP)
    So we had a great visit; didn't talk about Smugmug or Dgrin too much, shot lots of photos and viewed things neither one of us had seen before. Richard received a new Smugmug red hat to promote Smuggy to the good people of Madrid.

Maybe they don't leak! I remember getting a tour of the sub-basement and HVAC installation at the Skelly Oil Building in Tulsa OK. That was in about 1961 or 62 when the building was new and an aunt of mine was Secretary to one of the Vice Presidents. The guy that guided us through that part told us that they used more steam for air conditioning that heat. Also depending on location in the building some places could need heat and other air conditioning!

Jane B.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Richard, really awesome to see some of your shots!

I would love to see the underground Chicago some time. I think the subterranean ways is much more romantic for a city like that and perfect for the history and reputation.

Love the bean. Can't ever get enough of the bean.

The little details like the clock are the things I love the most about Chicago. Thank you for capturing things like that!
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Great set! I love the barbed wire photo a lot.

Great series of shots...but I really like the razor wire.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Good set of pics, there, my friend. Looks as if you had a State Street adventure. Richard, how late did you stay down there after I ran away?
    398330825_caASh-Ti.jpg

Was I snarling in that shot, or what? Gads! eek7.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Good set of pics, there, my friend. Looks as if you had a State Street adventure. Richard, how late did you stay down there after I ran away?

Thanks, David. As you can probably tell from the lousy light, I shot the State Street stuff before we met. Maybe we'll have better luck next year.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Love the bean. Can't ever get enough of the bean.

The little details like the clock are the things I love the most about Chicago. Thank you for capturing things like that!

Thanks, Schmoo. Yeah, The Bean is really a trip. I have shot it several times and each one is different. Brilliant piece of work.