Options

Ann McRae's Chicago Visit / Dgrin Meetup June 11th

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
edited September 19, 2008 in Landscapes
Ann was in town for a business tradeshow the week of June 9th. We all knew what had to be done... get a Dgrin meetup together. Gluwater (Nick), Ann and a co-worker - Jason, Stuffjunkie (Kevin), and myself met at the Cloudgate sculpture in downtown Chicago Wednesday evening. We caught up on eachother's news and of course took loads of pictures. The weather actually cooperated giving us clear skies and balmy 75º F. temps and no wind.

The Cloud Gate (aka "Bean") never disappoints.
311953417_v6vzp-L.jpg
311981432_za3jd-L.jpg

On the way to Buckingham Fountain, Nick noticed one of Baldy's other going concerns being displayed. We so wanted to apply a Smuggy sticker on there too, but had none with us. Ann on left and Kevin at right.
311953427_rEbJZ-L.jpg

Buckingham Fountain on the lakefront. We stopped there twice. This was one of the views from the return hike.
311953455_68GzH-L.jpg

Clearly, Chicago was ready to impress Ann and guest, as fireworks were offered celebrating our Dgrin Meetup. These were launched off Navy Pier from a barge. This pic was taken from our too-far-away vantage point along the seawall on the north side of Adler Panetarium. I'm glad I had my 1.4x TC to add to my 75mm Tamron.
311953451_u9Bqe-L.jpg

Chicago skyline pano from near Adler.
312317390_bt9Dx-X3.jpg
Another, a little farther down the walkway
311953397_FYFJC-X3.jpg
6 portrait shots: ISO 100, 6 sec., f/5.6, 50mm, Canon 40D.

Thanks to Ann and Nick for doing much of the work getting this Meetup off the ground.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    Very nice shots, David. I'll be in Chicago in October...see if you can arrange some fireworks, OK?
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    The last shot? Did you do anything to the colours reflected on the water or was that as is? Either way its really pretty.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    The last shot? Did you do anything to the colours reflected on the water or was that as is? Either way its really pretty.

That was the way it was, but with saturation tweaked about 5%
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Very nice shots, David. I'll be in Chicago in October...see if you can arrange some fireworks, OK?

Um, sure. headscratch.gif I'll try my best. And do let us know when exactly you'll be here.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Nice stuff, David! Looks like you guys had awesome time. thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Wow! Great night shots (which I really am looking forward to taking in chicago sometime...)

I would have loved to have gone, but indeed after my 3am maintenance that morning I passed our around 4pm and work up around 7pmish... too late to start heading into Chicago at that point.

Next time if we can pick a non middle of the week day option, I'm there!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    David - My card is just being loaded onto the computer. Been home about an hour.
    Arranging fireworks for my visit was a real honor! :D

It was great to see you guys, meet Kevin and shoot with all of you - it was too short a visit though!

I sure hope some of my photos come out as nicely as yours have. I don't think I'll have anything too unique to share though!

Y'all are welcome up here - I'd happily return the favor. Try to plan on a July or August visit - especially if you want to avoid the heat of Chicago! rolleyes1.gif

ann
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    In the words of DaveV "I got nothin!"

The ballhead I was using wasn't stable enough so I have camera shake in most of my images. Dave your's came out very nice. Ann I'm sure yours are beautiful as well. Here's one of mine that came out OK. I like David's better though.

311934945_XUJby-L.jpg

Ann it was great seeing you and who know's maybe I'll make it up to visit you one of these days. Now get those photos processed so we can see your view of the city.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    I'll find out who this was... deal.gif
    David_S85 wrote:
    311953427_rEbJZ-S.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'll find out who this was... deal.gif

If you do, will you send him a Smuggy and ask him to take another pic of his case, then ask him to update this thread?

Doc, permission granted (just for you) to repost this pic in a thread over there.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    If you do, will you send him a Smuggy and ask him to take another pic of his case, then ask him to update this thread?

Doc, permission granted (just for you) to repost this pic in a thread over there.
    I'm on it thumb.gif

BTW, what color was the bike?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Dave great set and not seeing much in the way of shots from you, this is a real treat! I love that city, even if the weather is completely extreme. lol3.gif

You got it goin' on in Chicagoooo! Having shot with Ann in DC I know it was a great time. thumb.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited September 19, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Um, sure. headscratch.gif I'll try my best. And do let us know when exactly you'll be here.

Hey David,

I'll be in Chicago 10/2 through 10/14. Hope we can connect--even without fireworks.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hey David,

I'll be in Chicago 10/2 through 10/14. Hope we can connect--even without fireworks.

Hope so. I'm more available after the 7th.
    My Smugmug