Options

Chicago - my perspective

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited June 14, 2008 in Landscapes
As David has documented already, I was in Chicago for work and had the great pleasure of being met by gluwater, david_s85 and stuffjunkie for an evening. Thank you all for taking the time to meet me. As David mentioned, my colleague Jayson joined along. Jayson is a great guy, and repeatedly offered to carry my camera gear for me. I told him that if I can't carry my own gear I shouldn't be shooting. Jayson and I spent a couple hours downtown shopping before hand. He probably ended up with the short end of the stick by carrying my shopping rather than my gear!!! I pulled my 20d out, and Nick lent Jayson his 10-22, so he was able to participate too. Nick instructed us to meet him at 'the bean' at 7:30 and we were almost on time!
Jayson, David, Nick and Kevin (L-R) at the bean:
312163252_dLSu4-M.jpg

Inner bean (this made me kind of motion sick):
312166580_AyLwy-M.jpg

We walked through Millenium Park, to Buckingham Fountain:
312168919_qGwWq-M.jpg
stopping for some shots, but with the Planaterium as our destination for skyline at dusk.
I have 3 skyline panos. All suffer from some camera shake. This may be the worst, but I really like the plane moving through this photo:
312153065_actqt-L.jpg

We were treated to fireworks:
312170792_2Ta7s-M.jpg

and then headed back to Millenium Park, again visiting the fountain:
312171636_TqPaj-M.jpg
and a 2 shot pano:
312153969_APWDf-L.jpg

The United Airlines magazine has an article about urban parks this issue, and Millenium features prominently in the article. It is a beautiful park, and worthy of bragging rights. We all had a brief discussion about public art last night. Jayson and I were reminded of that discussion as we travelled the connector between the main terminal and the 'C' gates at O'Hare - through the walkway designed to induce seizures!

Thanks again, bean town grinners!
For you, a red, white and blue (and blurry) fireworks shot:
312169790_xnvVW-M.jpg

Gallery

ann

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    312153969_APWDf-S.jpg
    ann
    I realy like this one Ann. It was great seeing you again. I need more people to come visit so I'll actually go shooting in the city.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ann, so glad we had the chance to visit and shoot. Gotta do that again.

And, as Nick mentioned, anyone else that wants to call on one of us to get together, please do!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ann looks like it was a great time. Your coworker sounds like a real sport, too. Lucky! :D

The fountain shot is great - I love sunset when the lights of the city start to come on.

Hiking, shopping, Dgrinners and fireworks. I don't think there's much else you really need. :D
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    As David has documented already, I was in Chicago for work and had the great pleasure of being met by gluwater, david_s85 and stuffjunkie for an evening. Thank you all for taking the time to meet me. As David mentioned, my colleague Jayson joined along. Jayson is a great guy, and repeatedly offered to carry my camera gear for me. I told him that if I can't carry my own gear I shouldn't be shooting. Jayson and I spent a couple hours downtown shopping before hand. He probably ended up with the short end of the stick by carrying my shopping rather than my gear!!! I pulled my 20d out, and Nick lent Jayson his 10-22, so he was able to participate too. Nick instructed us to meet him at 'the bean' at 7:30 and we were almost on time!
    Jayson, David, Nick and Kevin (L-R) at the bean:

Inner bean (this made me kind of motion sick):
    We walked through Millenium Park, to Buckingham Fountain:
    stopping for some shots, but with the Planaterium as our destination for skyline at dusk.
    I have 3 skyline panos. All suffer from some camera shake. This may be the worst, but I really like the plane moving through this photo:
    We were treated to fireworks:
    and then headed back to Millenium Park, again visiting the fountain:
    and a 2 shot pano:
    The United Airlines magazine has an article about urban parks this issue, and Millenium features prominently in the article. It is a beautiful park, and worthy of bragging rights. We all had a brief discussion about public art last night. Jayson and I were reminded of that discussion as we travelled the connector between the main terminal and the 'C' gates at O'Hare - through the walkway designed to induce seizures!

Thanks again, bean town grinners!
    For you, a red, white and blue (and blurry) fireworks shot:
    Gallery

ann

Hey there Ann...... wow a trip to Chicago, only times I have been to Chicago is to change planes.

Love your night shot with the water fountain clap.gif
    Glad you had a great trip and got to meet up with some of the folks from Dgrin ... see you later in the year thumb.gif .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Love the night Panos. Also really lioke the shot of the bean, puts a new perspective on things!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    I realy like this one Ann. It was great seeing you again. I need more people to come visit so I'll actually go shooting in the city.

Nick - it was great to see you too. Hopefully next time we will get to spend more than just an evening visiting.

You live near such a great set of photo ops that you should just make the time to visit them.

I've been having a blast with my mini shoots and think we(the greater dgrin community) could start organizing more of them.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    WOW, WOW and WOW

Thank you, Josh!! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Ann, so glad we had the chance to visit and shoot. Gotta do that again.

And, as Nick mentioned, anyone else that wants to call on one of us to get together, please do!

Me too David, me too. It was great to spend time with you guys. Thanks for helping make it happen.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Ann looks like it was a great time. Your coworker sounds like a real sport, too. Lucky! :D

The fountain shot is great - I love sunset when the lights of the city start to come on.

Hiking, shopping, Dgrinners and fireworks. I don't think there's much else you really need. :D

Thanks, steph! Yep shopping and shooting, dgrinners and fireworks pretty much make for the perfect night!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Ann...... wow a trip to Chicago, only times I have been to Chicago is to change planes.

Love your night shot with the water fountain clap.gif
    Glad you had a great trip and got to meet up with some of the folks from Dgrin ... see you later in the year thumb.gif .. Skippy :D

Hiya, skippy!! Thanks - it was great to be able to do this. I love that my job has me popping around like this - best part of it really.

ann
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Love the night Panos. Also really lioke the shot of the bean, puts a new perspective on things!

Thank You. Inside the bean was one of Nick's 'must do' shots, so I did! Interesting experience under there, and it truely made me motion sick. Can you find the reflections of our group- you should see me, Jayson and Kevin, maybe David.

ann
  • Options
    cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Great set. I wish I was heading back soon. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2008
    Great set. I wish I was heading back soon. thumb.gif

Thanks Tim. My first visit, and it was great.

ann