Options

Dgrin Shootout 2009: Acadia National Park, Maine -- October 7-11 2009

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 8, 2008 in The Big Picture
As it has been already - traditionally - announced at the last dinner at the shootout, we have the location and approximate date range for the next year.
Ye prayers of "no mo' red rocks" have been heard. Next time we go East Coast for more fall foliage and may be even some urban/marine shooting.

Location is - drum roll - Acadia NP.

EDIT: Date range - October 7-11 2009, details:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=109536

We have tons of details in work, but nothing ready to publish yet. We'll be posting as soon as we iron them down, and we'll be working hard on this.

In the mean time - please feel free to post your critiques and suggestions based on your experience with prior events. Try to avoid PMs and please read the thread before posting, chances are we all noticed the same things.
I cannot guarantee we'll be replying to each and every post, but we'll read them all for sure.:deal
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ye prayers of "no mo' red rocks"

it was Justi :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=99542
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that:-)
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that:-)

Did you see that Marc and Andy have a workshop (Wild Utah) Oct 1-5 2009?

I'm guessing the shoot out will be the later part of Sept.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    davev wrote:
    Did you see that Marc and Andy have a workshop (Wild Utah) Oct 1-5 2009?
    I'm guessing the shoot out will be the later part of Sept.
    Or later in Oct ;-)
    We knew that, but thanks for pointing it out, always nice to have an extra pair of eyes:-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Sounds like a lot of fun. How does one get their name on the list?
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    As it has been already - traditionally - announced at the last dinner at the shootout, we have the location and approximate date range for the next year.
    Ye prayers of "no mo' red rocks" have been heard. Next time we go East Coast for more fall foliage and may be even some urban/marine shooting.

Location is - drum roll - Acadia NP.
    Date range - somewhere end of September.. beginning of October 2009.
    We have tons of details in work, but nothing ready to publish yet. We'll be posting as soon as we iron them down, and we'll be working hard on this.

In the mean time - please feel free to post your critiques and suggestions based on your experience with prior events. Try to avoid PMs and please read the thread before posting, chances are we all noticed the same things.
    I cannot guarantee we'll be replying to each and every post, but we'll read them all for sure.deal.gif

AWESOME LOCATION FOR A SHOOT-OUT!!! I was actually planning a drive up the coast tomorrow but likely won't make it up that far. I did find this website with shots from there:
    http://www.acadiamagic.com/Photos01.html
    For foliage, Sept will likely be too early. The Maine foliage site is at:
    http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/
    Bar Harbor has yet to hit peak and it is mid-October...
    Where will the sign up be posted? I'm definitely inwings.gif.
    E

Addendum: And Moosehead Lake would make a great pre-shootout location. Peaks earlier than Acadia.
    http://www.mooseheadlake.org/
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    How does one get their name on the list?
    eoren1 wrote:
    Where will the sign up be posted? I'm definitely im

We have lots of issues that we working on including dates, hotels, the size, etc., in order to make it Acadia 2008 as successful as previous shootouts.

Just keep checking dgrin for more details.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    We have lots of issues that we working on including dates, hotels, the size, etc., in order to make it Acadia 2008 as successful as previous shootouts.

Just keep checking dgrin for more details.

There are a whole bunch of bed and breakfast there. It is a stunning location - but the hotels book up a year and more in advance for leaf peeping season and there are groupings of them that you could easily reserve.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Sounds like a lot of fun. How does one get their name on the list?
    Bribes, lots and lots of bribes. lol3.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Yeah, we all take L-glass ;-)rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    I'm by no means an expert but hopefully will have made a few trips up the coast between now and then. As for when to go, I found this on the Maine foliage site:
    http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/whe...ere/index.html

Zone 2 is Bar Harbor
    Zone 5 is Moosehead lake
    They seem to be two weeks apart. It might make more sense to set this up closer to when Zone 5 peaks - first week in October. That should be a better bet for weather - I think...

That would allow for photos in and around the national park and town as well as the coast with a day trip to Moosehead lake. Or that could be the pre-shoot location for those that want the foliage shots. Waiting for Bar Harbor to peak carries the danger of mistiming and then everything will be bare.

Also, for hotels (and another approach to timing), I noticed that Matt Kloskowski is running a NAPP Workshop out of Acadia from 10/15-19. They are staying at:

Bar Harbor, ME
    Atlantic Eyrie Lodge
    207-288-9786
    http://www.atlanticeyrielodge.com/rates.html

Rates look good and location seems perfect.
    Hope this helps,
    E
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yeah, we all take L-glass ;-)rolleyes1.gif

Well, Kerry is a Nikon shooter -- she'll take a D3! :D
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    There are a whole bunch of bed and breakfast there. It is a stunning location - but the hotels book up a year and more in advance for leaf peeping season and there are groupings of them that you could easily reserve.
    We're looking into many places, but prefer to have everyone staying in one location due to logistics and communication issues. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Bar Harbor, ME
    Atlantic Eyrie Lodge
    207-288-9786
    http://www.atlanticeyrielodge.com/rates.html
    E
    Thanks for the suggestion. We'll add it to the list of places were're looking at.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Cute - very cute. rolleyes1.gif

Now, how about a serious response to what I thought was a serious question? Is there/will there be a sign-up list or are all the slots already filled? And, if so, is there a wait list?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008

Now, how about a serious response to what I thought was a serious question? Is there/will there be a sign-up list or are all the slots already filled? And, if so, is there a wait list?

Registration has not been opened and no one has signed up for the trip .

There will be a signup, but the specific details are still in the work.

Keep an eye on dgrin for info.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Hi Scott

Once we have dates and accomodation firmed, and a sign up process established, we will post the details. Right now, there is no list or pre sign up process taking place. So keep ear.gif

• Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Scott

Once we have dates and accomodation firmed, and a sign up process established, we will post the details. Right now, there is no list or pre sign up process taking place. So keep ear.gif

Please set up some kind of lottery system to make it fair to all to get in. It always seems like the clique knows when to sign up or when the button gets turned on and the rest have to settle for - sorry its all full.

We all understand the the demand exceeds capacity, but it does seem that the same relative few benefit.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Hi Z

We are all listening to the feedback coming our way, and will do our very best to eliminate past issues. We want to make sure registration is fair and inclusive and at the same time make sure the shootout remains manageable and well organized. But the four of us, and the others mwink.gif, will be listening, responding and putting together a great event!

ann
    Zanotti wrote:
    Please set up some kind of lottery system to make it fair to all to get in. It always seems like the clique knows when to sign up or when the button gets turned on and the rest have to settle for - sorry its all full.

We all understand the the demand exceeds capacity, but it does seem that the same relative few benefit.

Z
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    I know Nikolai recieved an earfull of thoughts throughout the trip but I'll include some here in the public format that I feel are very important.

Financials: Clear set amount for what the cost will be for room and group dinner. A hard number like- 2 people to a room cost for 3 nights is $300 each (not counting incidentals).

Have the room paid in advance in full - 60-90 days out. This decreases the likely hood someone will not show up. If at that determined date someone decides they are not going to make it- there is still enough time for someone on the wait list to pony up their money and go on the trip. If they pay but still do not show up the person left to themselves has zero concern of how the room will be paid. Eliminates smugmug from having to cover for someone too! deal.gif

Group Dinner: I suggest the first night be earmarked for a mixer so people can meet each other before deciding where to go and shoot. Nikolai discussed photo name tags with Avatar- Avatar Name- and real name. I think that is a fantastic idea!thumb.gif In the first post of the shootout thread post a clear start time of the 1st night mixer so everyone knows when they NEED to be at the hotel/ lodge.

Communication: The white board worked pretty well and I am sure it will be improved.

I am sure the committee will make 2009 that much smoother and it will be a fantastic time for those who get to go.

Thanks to all of those that made 2008 so great and thanks in advance to those of you involved in planning 2009. iloveyou.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I know Nikolai recieved an earfull of thoughts throughout the trip but I'll include some here in the public format that I feel are very important.

Financials: Clear set amount for what the cost will be for room and group dinner. A hard number like- 2 people to a room cost for 3 nights is $300 each (not counting incidentals).

Have the room paid in advance in full - 60-90 days out. This decreases the likely hood someone will not show up. If at that determined date someone decides they are not going to make it- there is still enough time for someone on the wait list to pony up their money and go on the trip. If they pay but still do not show up the person left to themselves has zero concern of how the room will be paid. Eliminates smugmug from having to cover for someone too! deal.gif

Group Dinner: I suggest the first night be earmarked for a mixer so people can meet each other before deciding where to go and shoot. Nikolai discussed photo name tags with Avatar- Avatar Name- and real name. I think that is a fantastic idea!thumb.gif In the first post of the shootout thread post a clear start time of the 1st night mixer so everyone knows when they NEED to be at the hotel/ lodge.

Communication: The white board worked pretty well and I am sure it will be improved.

I am sure the committee will make 2009 that much smoother and it will be a fantastic time for those who get to go.

Thanks to all of those that made 2008 so great and thanks in advance to those of you involved in planning 2009. iloveyou.gif

Thanks for the feedback and keep them coming ear.gif

These are points that we are all discussing.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 15, 2008
    IN!

I just wanted to say thank you to those of you organizing the coming event. It's a monumental task and one which often goes unnoticed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    Date range updated: October 8-11 2009
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited October 15, 2008
    IN

Pending being accepted officially. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    This is a pretty awesome reference for Acadia NP. Map of the area that is clickable with links to photos and further info on each area.
    http://www.acadiamagic.com/Park.html
    E
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    This is a pretty awesome reference for Acadia NP. Map of the area that is clickable with links to photos and further info on each area.
    http://www.acadiamagic.com/Park.html
    E
    Great stuff, E! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I know Nikolai recieved an earfull of thoughts throughout the trip ...
    And then some. And he sincerely took it all in with a good heart. All the way from Valley of the Gods to Phoenix. :heh
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Agreed. We thought we were saving money by sticking an extra person in the room, but apparently that was not the case. It all worked out and was not a significant $$ setback but it was confusing.

Count me in. Aaron/Nik/Joel: I can drive for this one.:marlin
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    We thought we were saving money by sticking an extra person in the room, but apparently that was not the case. It all worked out and was not a significant $$ setback but it was confusing.

Yeah, hotels don't tend to appreciate the same logical math that the rest of us do... Almost all of them increase the cost of a room if you put more people in it. So 1 or 2 people it's $X / night, 3 people it's like 1.4 times that, 4 people it's like 1.8 times it. Very annoying.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 16, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Yeah, hotels don't tend to appreciate the same logical math that the rest of us do... Almost all of them increase the cost of a room if you put more people in it. So 1 or 2 people it's $X / night, 3 people it's like 1.4 times that, 4 people it's like 1.8 times it. Very annoying.
    That is why you always split the bill after the fact and you never say anything about that third person :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Registration has not been opened and no one has signed up for the trip .

There will be a signup, but the specific details are still in the work.

Keep an eye on dgrin for info.
    Cool. Nice to know I haven't yet missed the boat on this one. I didn't know what the process was. And, I know that a lot of slots for the 2008 shootout were reserved by individuals at the Glacier event in 2007 (I had one slot and released it when my plans changed).