Options

I have some questions regarding weddings

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited April 5, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
If this isn't the right spot for this, could someone move it to the right place? :D

Anyway, I have a wedding at the end of May and one the following weekend on June 4. I've only been a second shooter in one wedding and so this will be my first time being the main photographer for a wedding. I have the Nikon D40x with two lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-200. I'll be receiving payment for the second wedding at the end of this month and with it I'm getting the SB800 and a lightsphere to use for the receptions. Both will be outside weddings. My question is which lens would you recommend that I use. I know for the formal shots of the wedding party I am going to use the 18-55 so that I can get them all in the shot; but, for the actual wedding ceremony do I want to just keep the 18-55 on the camera and get close or do I want to use the other so I can be further away?

I'm not sure that I would want to shoot in full manual because at this time, it will be one more thing I will have to think about, so would shooting in priority be sufficient?

I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but I'm nervous as all get out and I want to do a good job.

Thanks in advance,
Julie

Comments

• Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Well you'll really need to speak with who ever is the offical at the wedding. They usually set the ground rules as to where they will allow you and won't allow you to be during the cremony. I've never really had a problem getting up close during an outdoor wedding when I was shooting. Just remember to move quickly, quietly and have your shots planned out as to where you're going to stand before to get their faces with out being in the video person shot and not standing out in everyone else shot who's their to attend. Basicly be invisible to everyone their but get the shot.

rickwedding.jpg

For up close a short fast zoom will be just fine with fill flash maybe 1/3 stop over to kill any an all shawdows depending on the time of day and ambient lighting conditons. Use a stand in prior to the wedding starting if you're not sure about your settings and adjust after a preview. BUT don't for get the importance of a nice down the isle shot of the couple with your long zoom. I always try to get both and helps with a second body on a tripod in the back ready to shot so your not changing lens and missing a shot.

BillandLaura.jpg

Again it's gonna come down to planning before which pictures your going to try to get and how to accomplish this while being invisible to the wedding going on around you.
  • Options
    glhphotosglhphotos Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    If you don't have a second camera body that should be +really+ high on your must have items. The range of your lenses are just fine. I'd put one on each of two different bodies and have both ready to do depending on the opportunities that present themselves. Covering a wedding without a back-up camera seems risky at best.
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    A second camera isn't an option for me. It took a long time to get my Nikon :D . I am going to have my daughter present with me to shoot candids of the wedding and reception, but her camera is a kodak z650. It is going to be challenging for sure.

glhphotos wrote:
    If you don't have a second camera body that should be +really+ high on your must have items. The range of your lenses are just fine. I'd put one on each of two different bodies and have both ready to do depending on the opportunities that present themselves. Covering a wedding without a back-up camera seems risky at best.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Shoot manual. It will save you countless hours in post. Not to mention, once you get exposure down, you won't even need to think about it. Just hammer down.

Leave your stobe in Manual too. I may get flamed for this, but I just got an SB600 & 800 a few weeks ago and I don't like them. I ended up selling them and going back to my SB-24 & 28's in manual. Once again this all saves you time in post.

I have the 18-55 and it's pretty good for wide shots. Try at all costs to not back out to 18mm though. The perspective distortion and vignette are just unacceptable IMO unless you want both of those things.

Lightspheres are definitely your friend. But remember, you want it to compliment the shot and only fill in nasty shadows, you don't want it to light the scene.

Take the following FWIW:
    If you are going to attempt to shoot weddings at any level of professional. You need to break the piggy bank or bust out a credit card to get the second body. I went to my sister in laws wedding and her professional photographer had a D200 (which I found out later only had about 20k clicks on it) and it broke on him. He was running around like a maniac w/ a P&S cybershot which ended up giving horrible pictures. Fortunately I was there and another friend and we both had our gear. So we picked up the slack and nothing was lost. But you don't want to end up in a situation where a client pays you 1k+ and you end up shooting part of the wedding. Then your talking refunds, but you already spent the money on this & that, bad referrals, etc..

On a WAY OT side note:
    Regarding the header image on your SM site: The text needs to be anti aliased so it doesn't look all chopped up like that. Just Google anti-alias & whatever program you used to make it. There will be thousands of pages about it. :D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Shoot manual. It will save you countless hours in post. Not to mention, once you get exposure down, you won't even need to think about it. Just hammer down.

Leave your stobe in Manual too. I may get flamed for this, but I just got an SB600 & 800 a few weeks ago and I don't like them. I ended up selling them and going back to my SB-24 & 28's in manual. Once again this all saves you time in post.

I shot in A mode 99% of the time,
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    I shot in A mode 99% of the time,
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    A second camera isn't an option for me. It took a long time to get my Nikon :D .

Julie - dont take this the wrong way but you're taking money to record the most important day in these peoples' lives. Not having backup equipment is not an option.
    2 bodies, 2 flashes, etc.

This isn't senior pictures that can be re-scheduled in case of a failure. You have a professional obligation to have the necessary backup equipment. A simple apology and refund of a down payment really doesn't compensate for you ruining their wedding day. Is it unlikely? Sure, of course it is. Am I saying dont do it? No - too late. But at least rent a second body for the day of the wedding. Cough up $50 and give your clients what they're paying for.

Beyond that - you'll want a lot of practice with the flash before the wedding. You'll want to get familiar with it and when you need to use FEC and when you don't. Especially in the reception hall - you don't have time to take 4 shots to get it right.

Also, shoot in RAW or RAW+JPEG if you have enough memory. I would advise having at least 10gb in memory if shooting in RAW.

Make sure you have Nimh rechargables for the flash - I would recommend 12-16 batteries (preferably 2500 mah or above). They'll recharge the flash quicker and last longer than disposables.

Now - when you're indoors you absolutely want to shoot manual. Shooting AV will yield shutter speeds that are too slow. During your flash practice sessions a good starting point is ISO 400, 1/60 and whatever aperture for the dof you require - when in doubt, set aperture to f8 for non-group shots and f11 for group shots - it is paramount the shots be in focus and sharp.

Since your daughter is helping you - my suggestion be she ditch the camera - give her the shot list in nice big print and have her check off shots and let you know what's needed. Keep batteries and flash card on your person and check during lulls how many shots are left so you don't run out of room - you want to swap flash and batteries during lulls not when one fails.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Take the following FWIW:
    If you are going to attempt to shoot weddings at any level of professional. You need to break the piggy bank or bust out a credit card to get the second body.
    Agreed. Weddings are extremely important events to photograph. If you cannot afford back-up equipment then get a loan, a small business loan, go on credit, or photograph less "risky" things, like portaits, and get some capital that way.

I won't do weddings myself because the price brides are willing to pay simply won't cover the expense of the equipment required, the post-processing it takes, the stress of the job, and the liability it presents.

You'll also want some f/2.8 zooms, or even 1.8 or 1.4 primes. I think you'll find your current lenses a bit "challenging" in low light.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    Julie - as others have said here - it is critical that you have a decent backup camera. It is preferable that this camera use the same lenses as your primary. If you can get one (rent one, maybe), you won't have to worry about swapping lenses - just use the other camera :D.

You have time between now and your first - use it to practice!

Outside weddings - fill flash is your friend. On Canon cameras, the Av mode works very well for this. I've heard that the Nikon flash system might be better than the Canon. Practice with it till you don't even have to think about what you are doing.

The rest of what I have to say you can see in my "Thoughts on photographing a wedding" (see link below).
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I sorta hate to jump in here but here I go...almost 4 years ago my wedding was shot by a very good friend who is pretty well regarded as a wedding photographer...to sum it up he had his 3 day old d70 and totally blew it, most images are either oof or blurred. What can be salvaged I am actually using in my Photoshop class. The best shots I have came from a P&S another photgrapher friend took. The point I'm wanting to make is to do whatever is necessary to ensure you cover the wedding properly...rent 2nd camera, find a second shooter, heck take the kids to the location and do a "rehearsal shoot", just whatever is necessary... because when it's over, it's over :D. Now to the good part...when my friend upgraded to a d80 he practically gave me the d70 and 2 lenses, which got me "hooked", which has led to $800 worth of classes in the past 3 months, another camera, more lenses....hey I need to call this guy I'm going broke...
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    LensCap wrote:
    pretty well regarded as a wedding photographer...to sum it up he had his 3 day old d70 and totally blew it, most images are either oof or blurred.
    So if it got you hooked.. It was the photographer and not the camera that blew it mwink.gif
  • Options
    LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So if it got you hooked.. It was the photographer and not the camera that blew it mwink.gif

Exactly right! The camera actually just took a dive and is going back to Nikon, it got replaced with a d40 which i actually prefer...gonna pull the trigger on a d300 and some glass in 2 weeks :D
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    Agreed. Weddings are extremely important events to photograph. If you cannot afford back-up equipment then get a loan, a small business loan, go on credit, or photograph less "risky" things, like portaits, and get some capital that way.

I won't do weddings myself because the price brides are willing to pay simply won't cover the expense of the equipment required, the post-processing it takes, the stress of the job, and the liability it presents.

You'll also want some f/2.8 zooms, or even 1.8 or 1.4 primes. I think you'll find your current lenses a bit "challenging" in low light.

+1
    you never know when your camera might decide it doesn't want to work or worse, some accident happens. If you can't afford to purchase the second body, rent one! At least that way if something happens to your main camera, you can still finish the job.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    I did my first wedding recently. After reading a few posts on here, I had planned to bring my sons original digital rebel as a back up. It died the week before the wedding. I bought a 40D from best buy. Left it unopened, then returned it for a full refund after the wedding. If it is unopened you don't have to pay the restocking fee.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I did my first wedding recently. After reading a few posts on here, I had planned to bring my sons original digital rebel as a back up. It died the week before the wedding. I bought a 40D from best buy. Left it unopened, then returned it for a full refund after the wedding. If it is unopened you don't have to pay the restocking fee.

You're focusing on only one specific of the general case being made. What if the OPs 18-55 lens gets broken? What if the SB800 gets broken? You're approach assumes only one possible point of failure. You have to assume the whole rig you're using could be damaged. In reality, damage is more likely than failure (although failure could happen as well). It stands to reason that anything damaging the camera could also damage the flash and lens as well.

So if you wish to go this route - better plan on buying all 3 and leaving them un-opened. And for the 2nd wedding I'd suggest another store :D
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    johng wrote:
    You're focusing on only one specific of the general case being made. What if the OPs 18-55 lens gets broken? What if the SB800 gets broken? You're approach assumes only one possible point of failure. You have to assume the whole rig you're using could be damaged. In reality, damage is more likely than failure (although failure could happen as well). It stands to reason that anything damaging the camera could also damage the flash and lens as well.

So if you wish to go this route - better plan on buying all 3 and leaving them un-opened. And for the 2nd wedding I'd suggest another store :D

Well, my son just bought a 40d so I will likely use his for the back up.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Well, my son just bought a 40d so I will likely use his for the back up.
    Josh - I almost feel like this is turning into a "pile-on", but you really need to consider that any piece of hardware can/will fail, and at the most inconvenient moment. And, you can't rely on an untested piece of hardware. Bust the piggy bank or flex the credit card - but get the equipment you need to do the job right. It really won't take you very long to re-coup that capitalization.

You're already working to get a lens or two to backup the one you have so good on your for that.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    I agree w/ Scott about the "pile on" feel this thread is getting.

Julie, Don't take these posts like were beating up on you. It's quite the opposite, we just desperately want to make sure you don't fail and get yourself in a jam :D
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Left it unopened, then returned it for a full refund after the wedding. If it is unopened you don't have to pay the restocking fee.
    I know this isn't the most ethical thing.. But I've done the same w/ certain retail chain camera stores that have rip off prices. I'll just buy what I need on the Amex and return it after I'm done. :hide I don't feel as badly about this since the prices at the store really are a rip off and the mark-up is crazy.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Julie & Josh, Don't take these posts like were beating up on you. It's quite the opposite, we just desperately want to make sure you don't fail and get yourself in a jam :D
    +1 on that (emphasis is mine)
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I know this isn't the most ethical thing.. But I've done the same w/ certain retail chain camera stores that have rip off prices. I'll just buy what I need on the Amex and return it after I'm done. :hide I don't feel as badly about this since the prices at the store really are a rip off and the mark-up is crazy.

I work in retail, people return everything and anything used or unused.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    +1 on that (emphasis is mine)

i totally don't feel like you are beating me up. I appreciate this help. I never imagined I could be a wedding photographer and really appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    i totally don't feel like you are beating me up. I appreciate this help. I never imagined I could be a wedding photographer and really appreciate the help.
    Good. Then post your questions as you have them and you'll get responses with the best answers we have and we'll not worry too much about sugar coating it - honest and forthright communication makes it so much easier.
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:

Or just rent the second body. Either your local pro shop or someplace like borrowlenses.com. You can usually pay for a single day rental and get gear for the whole weekend. Just make sure to make the reservation early enough.

-Trish