Options

First Newborn Portrait Session

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in People
Actually, not only my first newborn session, but my first paid portrait shoot ever. This was my first official gig, and it was extremely nervewracking. Special thanks to all those pros who gave me tips in the "Mind Your Own Business" section of the site. (And special thanks to urbanaries for not laughing in my face when I innocently asked, "What if I cull more than 40 photos from the shoot?" Ah, the innocence of ignorance... :wink)

Below are a few of my favorites from the shoot. I'm happy I was able to salvage anything, really. Shooting babies is really hard! :huh

220398520-M.jpg

220407877-M.jpg

220403250-M.jpg

220410652-M.jpg

220417568-L.jpg

220418504-L.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Bravo Kerry! These turned out awesome! I would never, never guess this was your first shoot! The mom should be really pleased with these. I just love #2 and #5.........but the rest aren't far behind! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Bravo Kerry! These turned out awesome! I would never, never guess this was your first shoot! The mom should be really pleased with these. I just love #2 and #5.........but the rest aren't far behind! thumb.gif

Thank you! I just sent the mom a link to her gallery, so I'll find out soon enough if she's happy or not! :D

And those two are also my personal faves (#5 is just my fave overall, though--I lucked out with that shot). The mom specifically requested black-and-whites, but I was so happy with some of the color images that I snuck them in for her anyway. mwink.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    My niece is due in February and she has 2 boxers, one which could be this dog's twin! I will have to keep the dogs in mind when I shoot.....although, generally, they are right there in the middle of things like the rest of the family members!:D My niece would love this shot (and so would her mother, my sister, who also has 2 boxers!).
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Beautiful work Kerry, parents should be thrilled with this. My fav. is ... well, they are all good! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    My niece is due in February and she has 2 boxers, one which could be this dog's twin! I will have to keep the dogs in mind when I shoot.....although, generally, they are right there in the middle of things like the rest of the family members!:D My niece would love this shot (and so would her mother, my sister, who also has 2 boxers!).

Hee! I'm not as familiar with dogs (I'm very much a cat person), but I had more trouble keeping her out of the photos. She was outside for the first part of my visit there, but we let her in so she would have a chance to calm down and get used to me so she would be settled enough for the shot we'd had planned for her and the baby. Unfortunately, the baby started crying early on, and I had to wrap up without the dog shot (which the mother had really wanted). As I grabbed my stuff and headed back downstairs, the baby quieted down a bit, so I asked the mom if she'd mind my setting up for one last, quick shot before I headed out. Dog walked into the shot, and voila! So glad I asked before walking out the door. :D

The dog was such a character. I'd love to see what you capture if you have a chance to include all the "babies" with your niece. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Beautiful work Kerry, parents should be thrilled with this. My fav. is ... well, they are all good! clap.gif

Thanks, Marina! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    #2 is AMAZING, the only thing I would say (from experience, i've been burned!!) is to allow yourself more room for the ever popular 8x10 crop. :D

#4 is very sweet, I have tried this a few times but it doesn't ever come out quite right! You did a great job.

#5 is amazing, the color and lighting are beautiful. Very clever way to use the staircase!!

I would be very happy with this set, as the mother is sure to be.

What a nice job! Good going!clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    #2 is AMAZING, the only thing I would say (from experience, i've been burned!!) is to allow yourself more room for the ever popular 8x10 crop. :D

I was trying to keep this in mind, but this was my first real go at using my new 50mm, so the tighter focus was messing with my head. Plus there was a table in front of the couch that I was trying to maneuver around. rolleyes1.gif If she buys #2, I plan on sneaking in some room on the sides from one of the other shots on the couch to give it the air it needs. mwink.gif

Thanks so much for the kind words, and thank you again for your pointers before I attempted this. I really appreciate it. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I really like #2! I'm with saurora. I never would have known it was your first baby shoot. They are great shots!clap.gif
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Good Stuff
    I like #2 & #4 the best

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I was trying to keep this in mind, but this was my first real go at using my new 50mm, so the tighter focus was messing with my head. Plus there was a table in front of the couch that I was trying to maneuver around. rolleyes1.gif If she buys #2, I plan on sneaking in some room on the sides from one of the other shots on the couch to give it the air it needs. mwink.gif

Thanks so much for the kind words, and thank you again for your pointers before I attempted this. I really appreciate it. iloveyou.gif

Just suggest they order an 8x12 - looks great if you can't crop!!

Awesome set! Just gorgeous.... I can't believe it was only your second! Have you seen the new article in Rangefinder about baby lifestyle photography? Definitely read up - if you enjoyed this, you may find it interesting!

clap.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007

clap.gif
    Yeah, and you get a little more profit from the larger print :D

#2, #4, and #6- those are special!! Well done! I also can't believe this is your first paid gig. Nice job!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    I really like #2! I'm with saurora. I never would have known it was your first baby shoot. They are great shots!clap.gif

Thanks, Felicia! iloveyou.gif
    I like #2 & #4 the best.

Thank you. thumb.gif

Awesome set! Just gorgeous.... I can't believe it was only your second! Have you seen the new article in Rangefinder about baby lifestyle photography? Definitely read up - if you enjoyed this, you may find it interesting!

clap.gif

I'll see if I can persuade her to an 8x12. mwink.gif And this was actually my first gig! I have to say the comments here are definitely encouraging. I left this shoot seriously downtrodeen and afraid I hadn't gotten anything. It was much harder than I'd thought it'd be, despite all my preparation. So I'm not sure I'll be jumping back in any time soon, but I'll give that article a look in case I forget my resolve somewhere down the line. :D
    Yeah, and you get a little more profit from the larger print :D

#2, #4, and #6- those are special!! Well done! I also can't believe this is your first paid gig. Nice job!

Mmmm, more profit. :D Thank you so much, Scott. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Very nice! I am sure mom will be THRILLED!!! You did a really professional job! Congratulations on your first jig!
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    wings.gif :ivar wings.gif :ivar

Just got this from the mom:
    First of all, let me just tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pictures. You did an amazing job, and I would have never guessed that this was your first paid photo shoot.
    I was up front with her when she asked about hiring me, because I didn't want to set false expectations. I am just so thrilled she's happy!

Again a big "thank you!" to everyone in this forum. I would never had had the guts to hang a show without the pushing and encouragement I got here (plus all the amazing technical how-to's and information), and if I hadn't, this mother never would have found my card and hired me (and I never would have even thought to create a card if I hadn't stumbled over the "Show Us Your Business Card!" thread). I would never have tried something like this without DGrin and Smugmug. Today is a GREAT day because of you all.

/sentimental journey :D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    Very nice! I am sure mom will be THRILLED!!! You did a really professional job! Congratulations on your first jig!

Thank you! iloveyou.gif And as I just found out, she is thrilled. Yay! clap.gif
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Excellent images. A good friend of mine is due the first of Dec. . So, I'll have an opportunity for some newborn shots too. These are a great inspiration!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    Bill_MBill_M Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Hard to believe that was your first shoot...well done.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Congrats on your first paid gig, the gorgeous images and a happy customer! wings.gif Wonderful! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Excellent images. A good friend of mine is due the first of Dec. . So, I'll have an opportunity for some newborn shots too. These are a great inspiration!
    Thank you! Good luck with your shoot. thumb.gif
    Bill_M wrote:
    Hard to believe that was your first shoot...well done.
    Thank you, Bill. It was scary and tough as heck, and I'm glad to have made it through with something worthwhile to show for it, truly.
    Elaine wrote:
    Congrats on your first paid gig, the gorgeous images and a happy customer! wings.gif Wonderful! clap.gif
    Thanks, Elaine! iloveyou.gif