Options

One way to thank a soldier

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited November 13, 2007 in People
About a month ago, SWMBO and I were out to dinner. We struck up a short conversation with our server and, during that conversation, I learned that her husband had been deployed to Iraq for 15 months. Because I so seldom get an opportunity to give thanks in a meaningful way, I offered to photograph her so she could include a print in a care package. We were finally able to synchronize schedules today. Jennifer was so easy to work with and so into getting the photos - it was just amazing. Loved working with her and hope she will allow me to photograph her again.

Anyway, these are two that came out of the session. BTW, we include the dog in the shots because her husband misses the dog almost as much as he does her!

Anyway, C&C welcome and solicited - thanks for looking.

1. I really, really like the way I was able to capture the light coming through her hair and the way it contrasts with the darker background. It was just one of those spots you find in a forested area where the light (just as sunset, we were chasing the light from one tree to another) was in just the right position.
218793888-L.jpg

2. This one is not quite as spectacular but I still like it.
218794669-L.jpg

The rest of the images, there are 6 total, can be seen here (linkie)

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Very nice Scott iloveyou.gif .

If you are interested in doing more like this check out Oplove.org a great cause that is still trying to get off the ground. I think I will have my first military 'home coming shoot' in January.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Great eye Scott
    and great opportunity. You've done very well here and you may never know just how wonderfully you've touched so many lives with your act of kindness. Excellent!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I love the first one! thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    That first one is one helluva exposure! The way you found just the right amount of backlight, coupled with the WHITE DOG, I am just in awe! A beautiful photo and a touching story.

I'm photographing a deployed soldier's return home (at the airport) the week of Thanksgiving as part of Oplove.org, and I get teary just thinking about it!

Sweet gesture on your part, and well deserved on the other end. thumb.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Something to think about!
    What a great idea. I'm going out hunting for "Iraq/Afganistan" (won't say "widows") (can't just say "wives" any more) left-behinds. Hell, even I can do that.

Anyway, if that serviceman misses that dog as much as he misses her, he's just plain nuts.

Bravo-Zulu to you Scott.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    What a great gesture on your part and what beautiful photos! The first shot is killer and they both should be very happy with it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Very nice Scott iloveyou.gif .

If you are interested in doing more like this check out Oplove.org a great cause that is still trying to get off the ground. I think I will have my first military 'home coming shoot' in January.
    Thank you for that site!

Scott, these are awesome! I can't tell you how much i LOVE LOVE the first one! Just gorgeous!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    banbrobanbro Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Scott,

I agree that the first one is a real winner and I think including the dog in the pictures was a great idea, plus the white really works with the contrasting shadows.. great expression from them both.

I also love how the background in image 4 looks almost like a backdrop instead of a true outdoor scenery... is that Newport News park?

Great shots and wonderful imagethumb.gif
    Brock

Nikon D200 / various glass
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Wow, Scott! That first shot is soooo wonderful! I just love it! clap.gif All of them will be so appreciated, I'm sure. Really great job!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Hey, thanks for looking and leaving a nice comment.

As for OpLove.org - I had not heard about this. Thanks for mentioning it. It is definitely something I'm going to look into.
    Swartzy wrote:
    and great opportunity. You've done very well here and you may never know just how wonderfully you've touched so many lives with your act of kindness. Excellent!
    I know of at least 4 lives I've touched with just a couple hours effort - Jennifer, Jean (Jennifer's mother), her father, and (most importantly) her husband. I'm really looking forward to hearing whatever comments he might make and be willing to share with me.
    urbanaries wrote:
    That first one is one helluva exposure! The way you found just the right amount of backlight, coupled with the WHITE DOG, I am just in awe! A beautiful photo and a touching story.

I'm photographing a deployed soldier's return home (at the airport) the week of Thanksgiving as part of Oplove.org, and I get teary just thinking about it!
    I thought you might be out of contact until Friday night. Nice to see you're still with us! Thanks so much for you nice comment. This shot was inspired by one that Yuri posted a short while back. I set up the session time specifically to get this shot and I'm sooooo stoked that it turned out something like I envisioned it.
    Icebear wrote:
    What a great idea. I'm going out hunting for "Iraq/Afganistan" (won't say "widows") (can't just say "wives" any more) left-behinds. Hell, even I can do that.

Anyway, if that serviceman misses that dog as much as he misses her, he's just plain nuts.

Bravo-Zulu to you Scott.
    Hey, thanks for the BZ - appreciate it. And 15524779-Ti.gif with the comment about missing the dog as much as the wife - she's a lovely person, just so much fun to work with and be around!
    saurora wrote:
    What a great gesture on your part and what beautiful photos! The first shot is killer and they both should be very happy with it!
    Thanks! After the shoot, I had one other session to finish before I even started looking at this one - it's the only way I can exercise any discipline - work them in order otherwise ... Anyway, I was so excited about what I thought I had gotten that I almost broke my rule. So, as a result, I was up late last night processing this set (BTW - 10:00P is late for me as I'm at my desk by 0530). As it was, I had a hard time getting to sleep last night!
    Scott, these are awesome! I can't tell you how much i LOVE LOVE the first one! Just gorgeous!!!
    Thanks so much Andi. You know I've told you that you are my "artistic inspiration" (you and Lynne, actually). You think I just making noise, but it's true. Anyway, getting that comment from you means just so much.
    banbro wrote:
    I agree that the first one is a real winner and I think including the dog in the pictures was a great idea, plus the white really works with the contrasting shadows.. great expression from them both.
    I also love how the background in image 4 looks almost like a backdrop instead of a true outdoor scenery... is that Newport News park?
    Brock, WELCOME to DGrin! Isn't it a wonderful place to hang out? Oh, I left you a PM.

Yes, it is Newport News Park. Enter the park from Jefferson and follow the road past Old Saddle Rd, there's a playground on the right with a parking lot. On the left is a copse of trees, another small playground, and an over-look across the reservoir where you can see the trees. I'm actually not too happy with #4 - it's more than just a bit over-flashed, but it has other redeeming qualities, so I included it.

Thanks for looking and leaving such a nice comment. I really appreciate it?
    Elaine wrote:
    Wow, Scott! That first shot is soooo wonderful! I just love it! All of them will be so appreciated, I'm sure. Really great job!!
    I was hoping that people would like that first one. SWHMBO was standing behind me when it went up on the screen and it elicited some very nice comments from her so I knew that it was a winner. Thanks for looking - I do appreciate it.
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Great Shots! I am sure her husband is going to be thrilled!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Scott, I notice that you did not use fill flash in #1 (but it looks like you did.) Did you use a reflector? Do you know what mix this dog is? Looks like a shepherd in the face with maybe samoyed mixed in? Beautiful animal!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Scott, I notice that you did not use fill flash in #1 (but it looks like you did.) Did you use a reflector? Do you know what mix this dog is? Looks like a shepherd in the face with maybe samoyed mixed in? Beautiful animal!
    I set my camera to all manual and used manual, off-camera flash, a Sunpac 622. If you have a light meter, shooting with flash this way is actually, for me at least, much more consistent and reliable then the ETT-L.

As for the dog - I have no idea, but I'm thinking you're nor far from the target.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Excellent thread, worth a bump. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    What a wonderful gesture and very nice job! I can only imagine the joy you were able to bring them both. Bravo!

John
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    The photographs are awesome Scott. Although I can appreciate the backlighting in #1 I actually prefer the second one. Leave it to me to be different!!!ne_nau.gif

The gesture is the story here, and since oplove was mentioned, I believe I will check into that myself. Might be that you have really done something even bigger than this favor for your new friend by bringing this up on the board. I am invisioning sticky at the top of the page with homecoming photos.

Good Job!!!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    That first one is truly a beautiful shot Scott.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 8, 2007
    great idea and great photos-

please, how is your son doing?-
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Those are beautiful Scott. What a wonderful gift.
  • Options
    Miss SharonMiss Sharon Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Oh my gosh, you made me tear up. Scott, with your motives behind these shots, I think these are the best portraits ever!!!
    Sharon
    "I want to seize any pleasure that comes my way because it might not come by again."
    The Original Cowgirl Amelia Banks, 1901
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Scott...these are awesome...that first one is just so perfect...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    great idea and great photos-

please, how is your son doing?-
    Thanks for asking, but Matt's doing just fine even if he's a little frustrated with the Army right now. He's been trying for two years to get the attention of the Army - they don't return his calls. So, he's been working at a Starbucks and is on a management track with them. A couple of months ago, some Sgt somewhere discovered that the Army didn't have any PT records for him and gave him a call. And, that's the last we've heard from them. Again, they're not returning his calls. It does make one wonder!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Scott...these are awesome...that first one is just so perfect...thumb.gif
    No, I don't think so. But, it'll do in a pinch.

Thanks so much for looking and leaving a comment.
  • Options
    thebuschthebusch Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    They are both wonderful but the first one is a wowser! Good work and as an old soldier, thanks! Wish some one had done that for me.
    Busch

Take the scenic route. Life is too short to do otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    thebusch wrote:
    They are both wonderful but the first one is a wowser! Good work and as an old soldier, thanks! Wish some one had done that for me.
    I don't know how old a soldier you are, but I grew up at the tail end of the Viet Nam era and witnessed the treatment suffered by the returning GIs.

:soapbox I was and still am truely disgusted by what I saw. I made a promise to myself that I WOULD NOT copy that behavior and that I would do what I could on a personal level to thank the men and women in uniform.

This is just one small thing.

I'm going to seriously look into the OpLove.org thing posted above. On the surface and from the web site, it sounds like something right up my line.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    God bless our military-

I just signed up for the oplove.org thing; don't know if I can help, but I thought I would apply-
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    I've been coming to this form less often recently but when I do I always find good photography, like your first photo here Scott. I really like the use of light.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    I just downloaded and filled out the application. It will be going in the mail on Tuesday (13 Nov).

In the meantime, Ted, thanks for your compliment. I really appreciate it.
    I've been coming to this form less often recently but when I do I always find good photography, like your first photo here Scott. I really like the use of light.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Use photography to help people!
    Wow. This is a wonderful way as a civilian to show your appreciation, and acknowledge the humanity behind it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Beautiful work Scott! It is a really nice present indeed. I didn't expect anything less from you. clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8