Options

Where to find "How to use flash" tutorial?

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited June 15, 2006 in Accessories
All my photography to date has been with available light which, as most anyone will tell you, places limits on what can be captures. So, based on comments found on dgrin and reviews all over, I purchased the flash listed in my siggy.

Once I got it I, of course (or maybe not "of course") read the manual that came with it and found a lot to be desired for someone just starting out with flash.

I went to the local "library" (read: Barnes&Noble) to read up on recent works on how to use flash on EOS cameras. Came up real short there as well.

Did the Google thing and found one site here that might be worth while, but didn't have a chance to print it off or read very far into the pages.

The following are some of the questions that come to mind:
  • Set camera to Av (say, 5.6) and the camera meters to 1/15sec. Press shutter and that's what I get, f/5.6 at 1/15 second. I can understand that this can be very cool to illuminate near objects but still get the background exposed correctly.
  • Set camera to Tv at 1/200 sec and the camera will set the aperature, usually to 2.8 (on my Tamron lens) and explose correctly. But what if I want more DOF?
  • To get, for example, f5.6 at 1/200 sec, do I have to set that in manual mode?
  • How does the camera/flash combination know how to set flash intensity/duration. I read something about E-TTL and, if I have it right, when the shutter is released, the flash
    • fires off a burst
    • measures the light coming back
    • then fires again when the shutter is actually opened
  • I read somewhere here about setting burst intensity to 1/2, 1/4 ... 1/128. How is that accomplished and to what effect?
Can anyone help me out with these questions or, even better, point me to a net resource where I can read up on it in detail (no sense recreating the wheel if someone else has already written it all somehwere).

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    Thanks Andy. For those that may be interested, there is a third page at

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html
  • Options
    dups41dups41 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    And this site as well seems to contain some useful flash info...

http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html

--Andrew
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Too much to read and learn just for some pictures ...
    :bash :bash

Andrew: That is a nice and usefull link. Thank you.

Regards thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    Thanks all for the pointers. The site that Andy points to printed out something like 92 pages. That is going to take some time to absorb (reading is quick, understanding and retaining it ... well, let's just say that the gray cells have some mileage on them and it's starting to show just a bit - but it sure is fun!).

I've bookmarked the second site (http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html) for later.

Again, thanks!clap.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    Scott,

There was a rather great discussion about Canon's flash system here on DGrin, and I give credit to our own Pathfinder for greatly enlightening me on the merits of full manual camera mode and E-TTL flash. I had completely misunderstood how the system works and Path really made it clearer than the owners manuals or any previous description I had read.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32198

(I am hoping that the information can be distilled and condensed into a single article by Pathfinder, and saved in the "Hall of Wisdom".)

Please read and reread the thread and then try what Pathfinder suggests. E-TTL is amazingly accurate when it's used properly and in the correct mode on the camera.

I used the full manual method last weekend in a dark church, and using ISO 800 and 1600, at f4, I was able to better blend the flash into the ambient, using the FEC to adjust the ratios. It really went pretty well and I was shooting into the upper 90th percentile of keepers by correct exposure. (My own timing and technique was more limiting in actual images that "should" be kept.)

Another thing to add, about E-TTL II, is that some lenses do not accurately relay distance and/or focal length information. This is crucial for accurate E-TTL operation, so if you're not getting accurate E-TTL exposures, it could be the lens at fault.

I also have the Sigma 500 Super and I find it an superb performer at a more reasonable cost. It also has High-Speed-Sync mode, which has limited, but valuable, application.

Gotta go,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    Juli Valley, a member of this forum, and a frequent poster on dpreview has a very simple formula for using the flash. I believe this agrees with Pathfinder's patient writings in the thread that Ziggy referenced. I don't have an external flash yet, but when I get one, I'll start with Juli's advice because it seems like an easy way to get started and probably solves 90% of the problem. I think this answers Scott's question to some degree, and I appologize if this is oversimplistic.

Anyway, without further ado, here's what Juli has to say:
    Put your camera in manual mode and leave the flash in ETTL. This will give you aperture and shutter speed control.
    Set an aperture for the DOF you want and a shutter speed between 1/60-1/250th depending on the situation. Slower shutter speeds will allow more ambient light. Set + 1/3 to +2/3 flash exposure compensation. I like shooting at 400 ISO with my indoor flash shots. I also have custom function 14 set to 1 for average. Keep an eye on the histogram to get a good guage of the exposure. Shoot Av for fill outdoors. I also like using a diffuser like a Sto-fen Omnibounce or bouncing off the ceiling.

Juli
    http://www.pbase.com/julivalley/galleries
    Canon 2oD, Canon Gee3, and Canon S7o.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    DGrinners are the best!
    I really want to thank all who have responded. Trying to figure out flash with the manuals and what books I could find on the subject was an exercise in frustration.

Andy, I'm still in the process of reading the three web pages (92 printed pages) that you pointed me to. That has already cleared up so much for me.

Ziggy, That link to Pathfinder's thread was great. It kind of put the last nail in the coffin of my ignorance on this matter.

Pathfinded mentioned dialing in -1/3EV or -2/3EV for flash-fill in darker settings. That confused me a bit. But, with my improved understanding, I was able to refer back to the flash manual and now have an understanding the the mechanics of how that is done. I'm going to rope my wife into posing for me this evening to see if I have it nailed.

KDog - that is a great way to approach the flash on EOS. When I read it the first time, I thought Juli was taking about dialing in the compensation on the camera. On third reading, she is talking about ON THE FLASH!

I think in understand!clap.gif

Now, if I can apply what I have learned and produce something of which I am not ashamed, I will share them in appropriate forums and give credit where it's due - the DGrinner community

WOW! - Thanks so much everyone!:):
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    To begin with I intend to buy a cable connecting the 20D to the 430 EX flash in order I can bounce the flash.
    Isn't that a good beginning ?
    As a matter of fact I own the flash and hadly use it. Shame on me. Must change attitude.
    Can I have your advice please ?
    I have been reading http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html and I found it very simples and instrutive.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    To begin with I intend to buy a cable connecting the 20D to the 430 EX flash in order I can bounce the flash.
    Isn't that a good beginning ?
    As a matter of fact I own the flash and hadly use it. Shame on me. Must change attitude.
    Can I have your advice please ?
    I have been reading http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html and I found it very simples and instrutive.

thumb.gif
    Antonio,

After having read it, I strongly recommend you read the links provided above by Andy. The first two are really good, the last one in the series (there are three pages total) is less so, but still very good. I found them very instructive.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    give credit to our own Pathfinder

PF's da bomb, isn't he?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    PF's da bomb, isn't he?

15524779-Ti.gif His parents have to be proud of him.

My parents ... are unavailable for comment.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Here's one I took alot from, it's geared toward off camera flash:

The Strobist

Enjoy!

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    ... well, let's just say that the gray cells have some mileage on them and it's starting to show just a bit - but it sure is fun!).

I can sure relate with you Scott on the mileage on the gray cells!!! I am glad you are one step ahead of me in tackling the stiff learning curve of using flash. That's my next project. I'm uncomfortable because I have read a lot of negative comments about the manuals being so long and difficult to understand. Glad to see these links to check out. In particular, I want to read Pathfinder's because I find everything he writes about he puts into such great detail and explains things so clearly! thumb.gif I have read somewhere a comment that the Canon 580EX is "easier" for beginners to use than the Sigma....anyone have any comments on this? I may be messaging you in the future for help, Scott! :D
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I'm uncomfortable because I have read a lot of negative comments about the manuals being so long and difficult to understand.
    For me, the problem was a lack of information. The manual that came the camera is hardly worth using for kindling, let alone conveying information. The manual that comes with the Sigma flash is only long because they cover the same information in about dozen languages. IMHO, the only way these manuals are of any use if you already know how to use flash.
    saurora wrote:
    I may be messaging you in the future for help, Scott! :D
    Yeah, that will be fine, if I get it figured out! Actually, between the links supplied by Andy and the information that Pathfinder posted (BTW, great post), I think have it somewhat figured out. If so, it really is as easy as Pathfinder makes it out to be. I did a couple of test shots last night (my wife is so cooperative sometimes!thumb.gif) with just the flash on the 20D (it actually support FEC). Once I read and re-read and re-read again the camera manual, I actually got a decently balanced exposure - I attempted a Yuri style photo.

I can't post it here because I really would like to live to see tomorrow. She was at the kitchen sink, light was coming in through the window over the sink and she was working hard to get dinner on the table (and looked it - her hair was all over the place - like she had tangled with a light socket!). NOT a flattering image. But the exposure was good.thumb.gif Did I mention that my wife is a wonderful, loving person?
  • Options
    DF79DF79 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    The PlanetNeil site was very help and informative. I had to read up on this as well since I am struggling with getting natural looking photos without the blown out shots I've been getting. Dups41, thanks for the link. Bookmarked.
    Nikon D2H
    70-200mm f2.8 ED-IF AF-S VR, 50mm f1.8D, 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G AF-S DX IF-ED, 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG, 28-105mm f3.8-5.6 AF
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    I have found this helpful even though I am a Nikon shooter. Looks like the Canon and Nikon systems are similar, but I guess I'll find out for sure when I try out some of these ideas with my D70s/SB-600 combo, and the D200 that FedEx is bringing tomorrow.

Is anybody aware of similar articles specifically written for the Nikon system?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Link
    I found this
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33703&goto=newpost
    Is it of any use for your purposes ?
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    I found this
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33703&goto=newpost
    Is it of any use for your purposes ?

Actually, that link brings me right back to this page.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    jthomas wrote:
    Actually, that link brings me right back to this page.
    I'm sorry. headscratch.gif
    Did not nean to give you a wrong link. :):
    As I was in the office and I'm at home now, I'll try to recover the right information tomorrow.
    Regards.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Last saturday a small group went for a walk in the country and came to a church where I took this picture.
    The flash was bounced to the wall and I was holding the camera up without seeing what I was taking.
    What do you think of this modest photo ? :):
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    And this one where I was against a wall the flash reversed ?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    With a little help from the light coming from the door ...
    This one without flash as we can see...
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Antonio,

These are wonderful examples. I can hardly tell that the first is done with a flash, and the second is such an improvement over the last.

Bravo!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Antonio,

These are wonderful examples. I can hardly tell that the first is done with a flash, and the second is such an improvement over the last.

Bravo!

ziggy53
    Thank you Ziggy.
    But I still like the one taken without flash. It is natural.
    It is funny. These things happen when we photograph:
    - The batteries were low in the flash and, as I was under P, the flash did not fire and this shot came out.
    Regards. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    The correct link
    This is the link I intended to post, yesterday.
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/flashwork/index.html
    Hope it is useful.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    With and without
    Flash photos without and with bounced flash.
    It is obvious that the one with bounced flash is better.
    Tell me about it please.
    I discarded this photo because the model is - at the moment - without 'soul'.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    And here is the one with bounced flash.
    It was shot in the street.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    And this ?

• Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2006
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin