59332984-L-1.jpg

Exif Here

Whaddya think?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    i think it looks like he's never missed a meal :)

makes me want a burger and fries
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I think the loaf of bread in the fg is distracting in an otherwise good photo. I can see evidence of your exposure processing around Mr. Bigg, too.
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I think the loaf of bread in the fg is distracting in an otherwise good photo. I can see evidence of your exposure processing around Mr. Bigg, too.

andy, i am asking as a somewhat rookie who can't tell.....what is it you see that tells you there was processing?
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Where's the food?
    I love the photo, his expression, the lighting -- don't like the fuzzy stuff in the foreground... but where's the food? How bout flippin a burger or pancake or something?

Or better yet since he's such a big guy -- cracking an egg into a bowl?

Or is this one of those you can't go back to reshoot???

But I love the overall feel of it!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    andy, i am asking as a somewhat rookie who can't tell.....what is it you see that tells you there was processing?

Ahh I could be wrong - maybe it's just the lighting -
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Great expession captured....On my monitor his whole outline is haloed
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:

makes me want to go to the gym.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Ahh I could be wrong - maybe it's just the lighting -

I think that it's very possible that Rutt has too much HIRALOAM sharpening going on along the edge of the guy's shirt, which results in a white halo on the shirt and a dark edge on the background. Just a guess, but knowing Rutt he did some HIRALOAM and may have overdone it along that edge.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think that it's very possible that Rutt has too much HIRALOAM sharpening going on along the edge of the guy's shirt, which results in a white halo on the shirt and a dark edge on the background. Just a guess, but knowing Rutt he did some HIRALOAM and may have overdone it along that edge.

David's right. I also have the following, which might be better, but has even less food than the first one:

59354431-L.jpg

But I don't know why you need to see the actual food in this shot. Can't you smell it? Feel it in the way your pants fit?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    you don't need the food. Great shot.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    MotoKatMotoKat Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    you don't need the food. Great shot.

I agree thumb.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Oookay, so this thread needs some good criticism. Maybe its just me, but I think this shot doesn't classify as a shot for "Food", or at least its a weak rendition of the subject. Wheres the grill? ne_nau.gif It doesn't show much. I think you can improve it by re-taking a shot of the man maybe actually working at the grill, showing what he does for a living, like telling his story in a way. I also think that the man does not look like an 'Ogre' and I doubt he wants to be called that either. Maybe calling it "Bigger than Burgers"? The photo you attached is nice a portrait of the man, but its just way too plain by himself, its missing the kitchen. I hope you can re-shoot it. The setting has really good potential. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:

Looks like a guy making an honest living to me!

Remember this is a forum open to the public - don't "type" anything here you wouldn't want to "say" to someone's face. God made people different - who are we to judge.

I'll get off now :soapbox
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Nice shot, Rutt. IMO, you don't need the food. I can "see" the grill, it implies food.

However, you are bucking a lot of opinion here, I did that just now by posting a shot on the challenge where I don't really show food either.

I don't know what you want to do here. But I see this as a challenge titled "food", not a challenge that has to show food.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I think the portrait is great. We all know fat guys make the best burgers! But, I have an exif question. The exif data shows that the image was captured with a Canon 5d. The focal length listed says, "50mm (guess: 39mm in 35mm). Doesn't the 5d have a full frame sensor and therefore no conversion?

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    Doesn't the 5d have a full frame sensor and therefore no conversion?

That's right. Smugmug just doesn't get this right. It's a little complicated by cropping (this shot was cropped.) I'm not sure exactly what the right approach is for cropped shots. But it would be easy enough for smugmug to keep a table of popular dSLRs and their sensor sizes to get better FOV numbers. For cameras in the table, things would be better than they are now. For cameras not in the table, things would be no worse than currently.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I think the food is implied in the guy's 2nd chin. I like the crop of the 1st one better (even with the bread). But that's just me.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I think the food is implied in the guy's 2nd chin. I like the crop of the 1st one better (even with the bread). But that's just me.

I would like to see them full frame myself.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    Ginger, your wish is my command. Here is my proofsheet with originals and processed versions.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Andy,

If this is the wrong place for this, jump on me and let's put it where it belongs, but ...

I think laurie had a good question. Ignoring for a moment the question of whether this image "suffers" from evidence of exposure processing, could you drop a few hints on us less in the know so we can look for similar artifacts in our own images.

Please, expand on your thoughts.

Thanks
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    We all know fat guys make the best burgers!
    and just about any other kind of MEAT as well thumb.gif

Seems as though challenges should foster thinking out of the box. For me the photo screams food but something frying on the griddle in the background would add to it.

Makes me want to go down to the local "Greasy Spoon" and belly up to the bar. Considering I've got my dietary challenged (read: fat) self on the Atkins Plan I can do, justifiably. Bring on the meat!!!
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"