Options

Shootout 09: Acadia/Bar Harbor

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited October 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Guess I'm first to post from the 2009 Dgrin Shootout :clap
It's been a great trip so far (posting on Friday night). We had a lot of gray skies today before the critique session with Marc Muench and Dave Porter so a bunch of us hunkered down and worked on post-processing. I showed these at the critique session and was very fortunate to receive some kind words from the pros. Here's an early look at what we're up to for those who could not make it :cry

Thursday sunrise: Just a bit beneath the peak at Cadillac Mountain (which was thick with fog)
675406814_sQQfc-L.jpg

675409473_ELv9b-L.jpg

From there a few of us headed to Jordans Pond. The mountains in the background are known as The Bubbles.
675411276_freih-L.jpg

That afternoon was spent at Thunder Hole
675412860_rSoUb-L.jpg

This one is thanks to Scott Quier's 10 stop ND filter
675414452_NUKvM-L.jpg

I ventured to Bass Harbor Light that night and got some nice shots along the way
675415631_7RcFD-L.jpg

Got to the lighthouse early and set up for the wait. This was the reward...
675417239_hGnaY-L.jpg

Sun poked through for a minute or two and got this pseudo-sun star
675423377_JU5nM-L.jpg

Stayed late with one other photographer and we tried 'painting with flash'
675425682_UxfEK-L.jpg

Friday AM we went to Thunder Hole for sunrise. Seagulls were nicely cooperative:
675427238_hMGdg-L.jpg

675428605_KQH9Y-L.jpg

Some nice reflections down there
675430480_eGcKV-L.jpg

One rogue wave with a ND3 on
675432094_YcucK-L.jpg

Friday night was spent at Jordans Pond again. We reviewed fill flash for landscape and Marc was kind enough to lend me his 580 with off camera cable to get this one
675433751_v86x6-L.jpg

And one last foliage attempt
675435929_Fj58S-L.jpg

We're off to Bass Harbor in the morning and I'm planning on a few more shots that day. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Hope you enjoyed these.
E

ps - these were processed on a macbook screen so they may need some reworking when I get a chance to see them on a calibrated monitor

Comments

• Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Cool to see these, as I was there a week earlier (the weekend before). Color looks like it came a little more, but it was really nice when I was up there. The painting attempt at Bass Harbor Head is nice. I have been to Acadia twice now, and had mediocre weather both times. Foggy most of last weekend, and raining in July when I was there. Good to see you had good weather. 11 I think, is nice also. Just a tip, number your shots so it is easier for people to comment, or critique. Also #2 is very nice tone an color to it.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Cool to see these, as I was there a week earlier (the weekend before). Color looks like it came a little more, but it was really nice when I was up there. The painting attempt at Bass Harbor Head is nice. I have been to Acadia twice now, and had mediocre weather both times. Foggy most of last weekend, and raining in July when I was there. Good to see you had good weather. 11 I think, is nice also. Just a tip, number your shots so it is easier for people to comment, or critique. Also #2 is very nice tone an color to it.

-Andy

Thanks for the kind words Andy.
    I'm quite brain dead at the moment so thanks for reminding me to number these - just edited them.
    E
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words Andy.
    I'm quite brain dead at the moment so thanks for reminding me to number these - just edited them.
    E

Excellent shots especially the last ones they had drama introduced into them.
    Regrards
    Bob
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Fun shots.

You were rewarded for sticking it out at the lighthouse - when I've been there it has been blah.

My "big" shots are all hdr panos - too much to process on the laptop, but here's two from a hike in the woods yesterday. (#2 is on the next post.)

c/c welcomed - I never am sure what things will look like coming off of the laptop. eek7.gif

• Options
    edited October 10, 2009
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited October 10, 2009
    Some quick pics, mostly unedited.

675902410_jNroG-L.jpg
    675901768_vRoE9-L.jpg
    675904050_gfQcU-L.jpg
    675903540_VerNy-L.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Wow beautiful photographs !
    11th is awesome !
    and David that 1st reflection photo is just so beautiful !clap.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    David, that third one is clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Great shots Eoren and David. Loved seeing your stuff at the critiques.

Here's one from sunrise at Thunder Hole that still needs some work:

675522282_5BiRH-L.jpg

Next one was my first time trying Photomatix. It's not quite what I was trying for. I still have a lot to learn on using that software.

675503404_dZujE-L.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Here are a couple that "Don't exactly suck" (you had to be there).

1. The first morning down at Seawall. The light on the water was less than thrilling so I looked around and found this. The light in the window is actually a reflection of the sun on the window glass.
    675966913_djykX-L.jpg

2. 30 second exposure using the B+W 10-stop ND filter.
    675978453_L22gm-L.jpg

3. And another one. The clouds were rolling in and out causing the light to change from minute to minute.
    675981436_f4FiK-L.jpg

4. Friday morning at Thunder Hole
    675986704_iRfhV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    David, is that third one from Monument Cove? Looks like it, or over near Otter Cliffs. Great shot BTW.

Eoren,

It also looks like you guys caught Bass Harbor Head at extreme low tide. Best time. I couldn't have imagined standing there in July when I was there. I would have been underwater. Good shots all.
    Hopefully I can get up there this winter sometime, and catch some winter scenes of the park.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone...and keep those Acadia shots comingclap.gif
    As for the tides, they were high at about 2-3 pm each day. We hit Thunder Hole at high tide but both sunrise and sunset were low.
    I just walked in the door (had to leave a day early :cry) and am downloading the cards now. Got some (hopefully) great shots of the Hadlock Falls to post when I can work them.
    E
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Wonderful shots everyone! I really wish I had been able to attend. :(
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Tried to meet up with you guys, but had no idea where you were..... Heres one from Saturday night.

677252677_iwG8Z-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 11, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    675904050_gfQcU-L.jpg
    675903540_VerNy-L.jpg
    Like this one! thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    Here's another leaf / moving water shot. I liked this one.

c/c welcomed
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    cj99si wrote:
    Tried to meet up with you guys, but had no idea where you were..... Heres one from Saturday night.

677252677_iwG8Z-L-1.jpg
    bowdown.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Beautiful photos - so great to see you all there, shooting up a storm, having a blast. Thanks for a great shootout, all!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    More from Acadia
    I got back a day early and just finished going through the next 36 hours of shots. Chose 13 more to post. Appreciate all comments!

Drove out early to Bernard despite the rain. Got lucky as the rain quit just in time for the blue hour. It was only us and the lobstermen out there - wonder what they thought of us intruding on their morning routine...
    678183359_nWndP-L.jpg

677748768_VSrQn-L-1.jpg

677749536_u87Yp-L-1.jpg

Drove out from there to the Seawall and grabbed a few from there. Here's one that is derived from a much better shot that Scott took.
    677750001_iuv5W-L-1.jpg

Drove by Southwest harbor on the way to breakfast and had to stop
    677750393_KW5CL-L-1.jpg

And another place that postponed some much needed coffee
    678175939_Tk5QS-L.jpg

Since it was my last few hours in Acadia, I decided to head back on the Park Loop road and waited patiently for the sun to poke through the clouds
    678176235_aFPX4-L.jpg

I had a composition in mind at Jordans Pond but needed light on The Bubbles to make it work. Waited about 30 minutes for the right conditions and was rewarded with this shot
    678176479_RtG99-L.jpg

Then it was off to Hadlock Falls. Let's see, foliage, a nice waterfall, interesting rocks, a bridge, good light and, oh yeah, a freakin' rainbow in the mist . Just about perfect down there...
    678176845_Z745g-L.jpg

678177107_JwPr7-L.jpg

678177540_9aqH9-L.jpg

678180614_9CogE-L.jpg

The one with the rainbow - you need to squint a bit to see it
    678181131_VtMuH-L.jpg

I think that's it from me from the Shootout. I missed out on what looked like a perfect sunset on Saturday night and am anxious to see what the group produced from those conditions.
    E
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Once again it was fun to see everyone on the shootout, and once again, the wildlife shooter in me got in the way of the landscape possibilities the area provided.
    That said, I think I got a couple worth posting.

Pre shootout, we managed to stop one place, a lighthouse in South Portland.
    We were with Adam and Kendel at this point and got off the highway a couple of exits to soon.
    Because of that, we got the rainbow shots.
    678205823_Fzvyt-XL.jpg

After a tough morning on Cadillac Mountain, Tony, Chuck and I found this small falls near Bubble Pond.
    The lens flare will be fixed after I get home.
    678205485_Fcaf3-L.jpg

Went out on a whale watch boat, didn't see any whales, but we swung by the now empty lighthouse.
    677731360_Ce2KS-L-1.jpg

After the whale watch, we made a quick trip to Hunter's beach for what was a shot or two. (we got there late)
    677731378_68T5F-L-1.jpg

The next morning, while shooting pre sunrise shots, a cruise ship crashed into the sun.
    677731437_Lf7X3-L-1.jpg

And now for the big wildlife shot.
    678205425_y3PdB-XL.jpg

I'll have more soon, plus some of Kate's.
    We're taking the long way home, our first stop was Baxter State Park to look for moose.
    We came up empty. I know Dixie was going to the area, I hope he and Fred faired better.

We had a ball and can't wait to do it again next year.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    That lighthouse/rainbow shot is pretty incredible!
    Great seeing you again.
    Keep those Acadia shots coming.
    E
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Some beautiful photographs here.

Marc had a lot of nice things to say about your photos Eoren. Always a great feeling to get a nice critique.

I'm just getting around to processing mine this morning.
    RON
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Some great shots so far! Having sat through Marc and Dave's critiques, I know there are more fabulous shots waiting to be posted. I know there are some excellent off-camera lighting shots to be shown. It was a great trip and I'm definitely ready for next year's Shootout! It was fun to meet all of you who were there!

I'm in Maine for a couple more days so won't post my Acadia shots 'til I get home. Am headed out now for some farm shots. Hoping to grab a nice sunset shot on the river in Richmond tonight.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Very sweet Dave. Great stream and chipmunk clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Hi. I got home late last night - just in time for our (Canadian) Thanksgiving dinner at my mother's place (phew!). So, once I'd waddled home I was too pooped to download, cull, edit and upload. BUT, I'm starting to work on it today.

These are amazing shots and Lauren's right - there were even more shown in the critiques. Thanks to everyone for making it a great shootout - and thanks to the organizing team! Did a great job.

Hope to see you all next year.iloveyou.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    From the looks of things, the shootout was a huge success! What's really awesome is all the different perspectives all of you had on this trip. I can't thank all of you for posting such beautiful shots of a beautiful part of this country in one of the most beautiful times of the year. Just... beautiful :D
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone...and keep those Acadia shots comingclap.gif
    As for the tides, they were high at about 2-3 pm each day. We hit Thunder Hole at high tide but both sunrise and sunset were low.
    I just walked in the door (had to leave a day early :cry) and am downloading the cards now. Got some (hopefully) great shots of the Hadlock Falls to post when I can work them.
    E

Yeah I have some from the week before you guys were there, of Hadlock Falls. I just got to get to processing them, in between all my other crap I have to process. It was flowing much better after some rain while we were up there. How was it when you guys were there? I do have to say it is a very photogenic falls.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    bowdown.gif

Thanks Dan really appreciate it!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    I got back a day early and just finished going through the next 36 hours of shots. Chose 13 more to post. Appreciate all comments!

678176845_Z745g-L.jpg

678177107_JwPr7-L.jpg

Really like these!