Options

Muench Workshops -- Sitka, Alaska -- August 2010

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited September 16, 2010 in Landscapes
[imgl]http://smugmug.com/photos/385287221_FHcVZ-XL.jpg[/imgl]

Sitka by the Sea, Alaska
August 20-25, 2010

We've had countless requests for a workshop in Alaska, and we're so pleased to be going to Sitka.

We'll be joined by our guide and fellow photographer Dan Evans as we explore the land and sea of this amazing location.

We're really pulling out the stops to make sure that we take full advantage of what Sitka has to offer. Boat trips, salmon and crab bakes along with some intense photo instruction will make this a trip to remember.

You can read all about it right here.

Marc Muench and Andy Williams return to lead this workshop.

UPDATE: This workshop was a huge success. Below we will be linking threads from the trip:
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I. Can't. Wait. wings.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Man eek7.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Eeeeeenvvvvyyyyy. Fantastic choice! clap.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Ohhhh so tempting.
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Ohhh...I'd love to visit Alaska again...

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Time for me to start saving up! I've always wanted to see Alaska. What a perfect excuse this would be.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Oh man, this one looks fun.....
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2009
    You guys are coming to Alaska and nobody even told us! Sounds like a good trip for sure.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited December 21, 2009
    So - who all is signed up for this trip?

Nightingale insisted that we are going, so we are signed up. Who else?

Any thoughts on lenses needed for shooting whales from aboard small craft? At least 200mm. 400mm too long or too short?

Camera raincoats to keep saltwater off our camera bodies seem a good idea.

is it time to begin discussion of gear to take and travel plans to Sitka?

Anyone considering traveling by ferry from Seattle, or is everyone flying directly to Sitka?

What temperature variations should we expect, and how much rain should we expect?

Any thoughts or suggestion, Marc or Andy?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    clikrf8clikrf8 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Aha, closer to home. The Alaska Ferry Terminal is about 5 miles from my home in Bellingham, WA. Also, I fished for 2 years on a gillnetter in Southeast Alaska back in the late 70s. Very beautiful part of the country. I didn't go near Sitka, but stayed in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. I believe Sitka has the volcano? My favorite scenic route was between St. Petersburg and Juneau with icebergs and Grey whales. We might do this one. The weather can be fickle but August has the best weather usually, just like we do.
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Anyone considering traveling by ferry from Seattle, or is everyone flying directly to Sitka?

Hi Jim,

I'm on board for this trip !!!!! I haven't started travel plans yet.

I didn't consider ferry via Seattle to Sitka but I'm curious as to whether it is a good scenic travel alternative.

Gear wise I will probably bring more than I need as usual. mwink.gifmwink.gif

Looking forward to seeing you and Kathy again !!!!

Happy Holidays,
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Any thoughts on lenses needed for shooting whales from aboard small craft? At least 200mm. 400mm too long or too short?

What temperature variations should we expect, and how much rain should we expect?

Hello Jim

Sitka in August has the greatest potential for sunny days. However, you understand Alaska and it could rain a bunch so packing rubber rain gear is the very best. If you dont have rubber gore tex will do! The temp can very as well, from 80 in the sun on the water to 30 at dusk up on the mountain, layers, layers and layers!
    I will be shooting with a 7d, 17mm T/S, 70-200 and 1.4conv. I always carry the 50 1.8 macro as well for closeups.
    I take a large dry bag that holds my entire camera pack. If it rains or gets nasty I simply throw the whole enchilada in the bag, and when dry just keep it rolled up in my duffel.

BTW, this would be a great trip to carry the 400mm or longer! There will be room on board the boats for a few extra bags and the wildlife ought to be well worth it. I just may bring something longer as well.

What is nice about Sitka is that there is shooting ops within walking distance of the hotel wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Any thoughts on lenses needed for shooting whales from aboard small craft?

I'm going to bring a Canon 400 f/5.6 - it's got reach, sharp as all get out, and it's easily hand-holdable. I can raise my ISO without fear if I need to. This is a big deal for me, for years my longest glass has been 200mm :)

More on the weather and stuff, soon.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Fred W wrote:
    pathfinder wrote:

Anyone considering traveling by ferry from Seattle, or is everyone flying directly to Sitka?]

Hi Jim,

I'm on board for this trip !!!!! I haven't started travel plans yet.

I didn't consider ferry via Seattle to Sitka but I'm curious as to whether it is a good scenic travel alternative.

Gear wise I will probably bring more than I need as usual. mwink.gifmwink.gif

Looking forward to seeing you and Kathy again !!!!

Happy Holidays,

Lets talk some more about the ferry - I think Kathy and I would like to arrive a day early and stay one or two days afterward as well. Do we know what hotel we will be staying in in Sitka?

We are considering getting to the west coast via Donner Pass, after following the Pony Express route from St Joseph Missouri westerly (we will be driving obviously). This is the 150th anniversary of the Pony Express.

Then head north along the Oregon and Washington coasts, until we reach the ferry - there is one at Bellingham isn't there? I know little about the ferry to Ak other than what I can find rummaging around on the web.

I might even take a gander at the Hewes Marine Company in Colville Wa.

• Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Hey Pathfinder,

I will be there....hopefully I can take enough time off to show up a few days early and stay a day or so.clap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Hey Pathfinder,

I will be there....hopefully I can take enough time off to show up a few days early and stay a day or so.clap.gif
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Hey Pathfinder,

Glad to hear you are coming along too, Dan. It's going to be like old times once again!!

Happy Holidays to one and all.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:

Do we know what hotel we will be staying in in Sitka?

Shee Atika 907-747-3693

Marc and Andy will have to address the rest of your questions. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Sitka
    Sitka is the perfect place to be in Alaska. The scenery is beautiful. This is so tempting.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Image below compliments of Dan, taken yesterdaymwink.gif

20100121-j24qphj5dsr5snqnax5gjxpqp8.jpg

Just a few blocks from where we will be stayingwings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    Question from Ross: "For specifically the whale watch day: I would assume a fast camera (fps) and fast focusing lens. If you had your pick of any/all canon models, what would be your choice? (Because I'm going to rent it if I don't have it) "

My answer: If you want the ultimate, a 1D Mark IV would do. But I think a Canon 7D would be fast enough, too. Me, I'll take my chances with my pokey 5D Mark II.
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Uhhhh!!!.....I promise I did not take that picture :D
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    paparosspapaross Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    walking distance
    rolleyes1.gif
    Hello Jim

Sitka in August has the greatest potential for sunny days. However, you understand Alaska and it could rain a bunch so packing rubber rain gear is the very best. If you dont have rubber gore tex will do! The temp can very as well, from 80 in the sun on the water to 30 at dusk up on the mountain, layers, layers and layers!
    I will be shooting with a 7d, 17mm T/S, 70-200 and 1.4conv. I always carry the 50 1.8 macro as well for closeups.
    I take a large dry bag that holds my entire camera pack. If it rains or gets nasty I simply throw the whole enchilada in the bag, and when dry just keep it rolled up in my duffel.

BTW, this would be a great trip to carry the 400mm or longer! There will be room on board the boats for a few extra bags and the wildlife ought to be well worth it. I just may bring something longer as well.

What is nice about Sitka is that there is shooting ops within walking distance of the hotel wings.gif

Hi Mark. As you would guess, I absolutely love your last comment. See you next month! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote: »
    Uhhhh!!!.....I promise I did not take that picture :D

Other Dan, our Guide from Sitka.... :D
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Question from Ross: "For specifically the whale watch day: I would assume a fast camera (fps) and fast focusing lens. If you had your pick of any/all canon models, what would be your choice? (Because I'm going to rent it if I don't have it) "

My answer: If you want the ultimate, a 1D Mark IV would do. But I think a Canon 7D would be fast enough, too. Me, I'll take my chances with my pokey 5D Mark II.

And the lens choice would be?......although looks like that discussion has already started!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    papaross wrote: »
    And the lens choice would be?......although looks like that discussion has already started!

I'll have the 70-200 and a 400mm f/5.6 prime. Will have a 5D Mark II and 7D.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote: »
    Hey Pathfinder,

Hey Dan....I'm a last minute signup.......looking forward to seeing you again. Starting to really get excited about this, now that I'm committed.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2010
    Kathy will probably bring her Sigma 120-300, and an EOS f4 70-200 IS with a 7D

Not sure what long glass I will be bringing yet - Still thinking on it. Either a 300 f4 + 1.4 TC, (or a 400 f4 DO ), and a 70 - 200 f2.8 IS.

16-35, 24-105, 21 f2.8 Distagon, and a little p&s as well.

• Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Wish you guys were doing this in Seward instead of Sitka for us local folks to be able to drive down. Maybe next time?
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2010
    Clothing for Alaska
    Living in the Deep South, I thought it best that I take a clothing "inventory" for our trip in 3 weeks!! I haven't worn anything warmer than a long sleeve t-shirt since I've lived here. So I wrote Dan Evans for his input. Here is an excerpt from his email to me:
    "It is always good to think in layers that way you can shed clothes or add clothes. I would not wear cotton anything because if it gets wet it does not dry.
    Poly long underwear, fleece or fleece like pants and shirt , not a heavy winter coat but a medium weight fleece with hood if you have that. Rain gear is a must. waterproof sturdy shoes."
    The "cotton" part hit home with me. I was surprised to find I had most of the type clothes I will need, except for pants, which are all cotton. I still think I might just wear jeans covered with rain pants.
    Just wanted to share this piece of info with the group.