Options

Pathfinder's & Nightingale's "Gooder than good" Alaska Adventure

nightingalenightingale Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited September 22, 2010 in Journeys
So Pathfinder and Nightingale went from Terre Haute, IN to Sitka, AK by way of Denver, CO. It was a long journey but we landed and waited for the workshop to start. The first day (before the workshop) it rained and we put our rain gear on our cameras and went out to shoot. We found a waterfall; not hard since they are everywhere.

1008398384_csxYq-L.jpg

We had to watch where we stepped because there were slugs everywhere. And they make them big in Alaska! This guy was going for a piece of dog food.

1008396968_uy5XQ-L.jpg

Then we went to Blue Lake, which is the town's water supply. I think the road had a 20% grade; thank goodness for 4-wheel drive. The rain had stopped but it was still overcast and foggy.

1008393601_T85fF-L.jpg

We went back to town to take some pictures at the harbor. I like the turquoise kayak on the back of the boat.

1008400785_zei6Z-L.jpg

So then we met up with the rest of the dgrinners and went out on the boat with Dan Evans to some of the coves and inlets. There were great reflections; the sun came out! Some of the people did not even know what the sun was because it had been a while since they had seen it.

1008395503_APUAg-L.jpg

Now I know that Marc's jaw has just fallen to the ground because Nightingale does not post. But I promised a journal and you are gonna get a journal. :barb
Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif WTG Nightingale! Can't wait for more. It was so great to see you and shoot with you in Alaska. Thanks for coming :D
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2010
    Loved the trip!
    Andy wrote: »
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif WTG Nightingale! Can't wait for more. It was so great to see you and shoot with you in Alaska. Thanks for coming :D

I really enjoyed this one! Loved seeing you guys again! Looking forward to the next one. Sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I am going to move it if I can.
    Nightingale...

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]I may not always be right, but I am never in doubt!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    I really enjoyed this one! Loved seeing you guys again! Looking forward to the next one. Sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I am going to move it if I can.

Moving it now :) To Journeys for you...
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    The photo of Blue Lake is classic. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Thanks bunches! It was a dark and dreary day but we were out there!
    Nightingale...

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    Pathfinder's and Nightingale's "Gooder than good" Alaskan Adventure-Day 2
    I forgot to mention that on Day 1 we had dinner at the Bayview Restaurant; it overlooks the harbor and serves excellent gourmet food. I had the halibut and it was great! I highly recommend it if you happen to be in Sitka. Day 2 we went back out on Dan's boat to the coves-we saw eagles, deer, and otters. It was hard to get much with my 70-200. But I managed. Before we left, we saw a dog sitting on the cab of a truck. I think it was guarding its turf. Someone walked his dog past this one and he stood up to make sure they kept on going. For the most part, he was content to lay in the sun having not seen it for a long time.

1009275405_v6ztJ-L.jpg

We went out to the coves and then to an island (don't remember the name). We got out and walked around shooting, as usual. On the other side of the island, I found some pools of grasses and starfish. The sun was out, the sea was calm, Andy took a nap on the beach.

1009275041_w6BhU-L.jpg

1009273541_RjQDa-L.jpg

By the time we got back to Sitka, the sky was overcast. As we were walking from the harbor, Pathfinder and I took some pictures of a Tlingit canoe. This one looked like an eagle to me.

1009276343_chbaV-L.jpg
    Nightingale...

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    I love the slug shot Nightingale....your other shots are fantastic as well. I wish you post more oftenne_nau.gif since you take such unique views of shots I never even thought of.clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    GREAT to see your post!
    The dog food eating slug really pissed off my lab:D

I am excited to see your images and look forward to more.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    Hey Nightingale wave.gif So far, so good! Wanting more thumb.gif

Marc, be glad he didn't see you start the bbq with dog food lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dadwtwins wrote: »
    I love the slug shot Nightingale....your other shots are fantastic as well. I wish you post more oftenne_nau.gif since you take such unique views of shots I never even thought of.clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Guess what! I said the same about your photos. I love them!
    Nightingale...

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    dadwtwins wrote: »

Have another thought for you! I have a shot that I do not think anyone else got-always a good thing in my mind! Anyway, I will be posting it for the next round.
    Nightingale...

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    Have another thought for you! I have a shot that I do not think anyone else got-always a good thing in my mind! Anyway, I will be posting it for the next round.

I am in total agreement with you on that pointbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    My jaw dropped to the floor too because it's so rare to hear from you on Dgrin! I'm always happy to hear that you and Jim are on the road for your incredible, legendary trips. I almost feel like I'm there looking through your photos. :D
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Hi Kathy.

I enjoyed viewing your pics. We can always count on you for cool compositions.

Pic#3 Blue Lake w/boat is my fav. Let's see some more.....thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Super captures, I'm just glad you didn't post those slug shots until we got back from Alaska. If Linda had seen them prior to our departure we would have never made the trip.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"