Options

Fader ND Filter

time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited November 22, 2009 in Accessories
Does anyone have any info on this new Fader ND filters they are selling on Ebay. They seem to cover a wide range of stops.
Ted....
It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
Nikon
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    If you do a quick search, you can find anything previously posted in the Digital Grin forum. Just mouse over "Search" on the bar under the 'logo', and type in the terms you want to search.

I did a quick search for "Neutral Density" because I knew there was a FAQ on the subject. I came across this.

I hope that helps!
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• Options
    edited July 2, 2009
    Thanks Anthony

But this is not listed in the ND from previous. Its a brand new type that works like a polarizer, you spin the filter to increase the ND effect. from a ND2 to a ND400

Just wanted to see if anyone has purchased one of them, and how they think the quality is.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    They are not new. They are usually called "variable neutral density filters." One of the best, from Singh-Ray (among others), has been around for years. Check it out here.

If you go with cheaper, you get cheaper performance. What I've heard is that some can impart a subtl (or not so subtle) color cast to the image. Not such a big deal if you also shoot a gray card for WB, either CWB or afterwards in post.

As for the comment about the search engine. One of the best is google. If you do something like
    variable ND site:dgrin.com

you will limit your searches to DGrin. The first entry on the return page is this one. HTH
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2009
    Thank Scott,

I Seen the filters before, I was wondering if anyone had purchased one, and like you mentioned, what the quality of it is. The Sigh-ray are to expensive for my wish list.
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009
    They are not new. They are usually called "variable neutral density filters." One of the best, from Singh-Ray (among others), has been around for years. Check it out here.

If you go with cheaper, you get cheaper performance. What I've heard is that some can impart a subtl (or not so subtle) color cast to the image. Not such a big deal if you also shoot a gray card for WB, either CWB or afterwards in post.

As for the comment about the search engine. One of the best is google. If you do something like
    variable ND site:dgrin.com

you will limit your searches to DGrin. The first entry on the return page is this one. HTH

Good you touched on this, if you hadn't I was going to. Yes Vari ND by Singh Ray is one of the best, and because of that, one of the most expensive. I have no personal experience with them, but the reviews I have read have been positive. Ugh, more stuff to add to the FAQ. Thanks for keeping my honest guys, and asking questions.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2009
    Also you can essentially make one of these vari filters with a Circ-PL and a Linear-PL threaded together. It has to do with the way they work off of each other, and how the arrangement of the polarizing elements are arranged in the two different filters. So you can supposedly get between 6-8 stops of light control with this set-up. Drawbacks could be vingnetting due to two thick filters stacked. Now you could get around it with a regular Linear polarizer, and a thin circular polarizer, or vice versa.

-Andy
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    astockwell wrote:
    Also you can essentially make one of these vari filters with a Circ-PL and a Linear-PL threaded together. It has to do with the way they work off of each other, and how the arrangement of the polarizing elements are arranged in the two different filters. So you can supposedly get between 6-8 stops of light control with this set-up. Drawbacks could be vingnetting due to two thick filters stacked. Now you could get around it with a regular Linear polarizer, and a thin circular polarizer, or vice versa.

-Andy

Thanks Andy
    I've tried this but with two different manufactures of filters. It was a disaster, no vingnetting, but the colors were very cold. It worked as far as cutting down light, but the two different brands, both cheep, the colors went from purple to yellow.

Still want to know if anyone has the evilbay fader nd filter.

thanks all again
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2009
    time2smile wrote:
    Thanks Andy
    I've tried this but with two different manufactures of filters. It was a disaster, no vingnetting, but the colors were very cold. It worked as far as cutting down light, but the two different brands, both cheep, the colors went from purple to yellow.

Still want to know if anyone has the evilbay fader nd filter.

thanks all again

Yeah, you probably need to spend some $$$ to do this too. Maybe a Moose Warming Polarizer, and a good quality linear polarizer. Shooting raw in AWB or a custom WB would probably help also.

-Andy