Options

Bryan's Homecoming - Another OpLove assignment

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 30, 2009 in People
I'm an Operation: Love Reunited photographer. As such, a couple of months ago I was asked by the fience of a sailor aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) if I would be available to photograph the homecoming of the ship after a 7 month deployment.

Ship was due in at around 10:00AM. She arrived at the pier at 5:30AM and it was COLD. I arrived around 6:30AM. The sun came out and started burning me to a crisp at around 8:30. The ship did actually tie up around 10:00. My client's hero came off the ship at around 11:15.

Here are some of the shots from the event:

1. Ohhhh, the wait - she was up half the night and so very tense/excited/etc waiting for the ship. After a while, it got to be toooo much.
524294502_d2Auy-M.jpg

2. The ship coming up the James River, making it's way to Norfolk Naval Station (home!)
524295692_VZjn2-M.jpg

3. Welcome Home -- I missed you!! The ship's compliement is, nominally, approx 3,000 sailors. Add the air wing, support, contractors, etc and the estimate I heard was that there were approximately 5,000 people on the ship as it arrived in Norfolk. To meet the ship .... the estimate I heard was 20,000 people.
524297478_mPAud-M.jpg

3a. The ship's compliement is, nominally, approx 3,000 sailors. Add the air wing, support, contractors, etc and the estimate I heard was that there were approximately 5,000 people on the ship as it arrived in Norfolk. To meet the ship .... the estimate I heard was 20,000 people. This is just a small sampling, early in the wait. It got lots more crowded later!
524296768_YFeKD-M.jpg

4. Bryan, where are you and when are you getting off the ship?
524297887_rEYYs-M.jpg

5. Days apart: 222, Emails sent: 979, Seeing my bear - Priceless
524298555_csaDc-M.jpg

6. Welcome Home!!!
524299743_A7awx-M.jpg

7. It took two guys to carry all his stuff 'cause he wasn't going back to the ship for quite some time.
524289952_x8CAa-M.jpg

8. Ummmm ... let's stop for a moment
524290391_WJm7N-M.jpg

9. Uuuummmmm .... and again :D
524291133_bVSQb-M.jpg

10. Mom and Dad and Bryan and all his stuff
524291968_3yTW4-M.jpg

The Department of Defense requires all OpLove photographer include the following in any publication:
The photographs and other content of this publication do not constitute or imply any endorsement or recommendation by the Department of Defense.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    very cool.....even the leaning ones:D rolleyes1.gif
    made a tear trickle down my cheek.:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    very cool.....even the leaning ones:D rolleyes1.gif
    made a tear trickle down my cheek.:cry
    The leaning ones were on purpose ... oh, I guess you already knew that :D

As for the emotion - well, that's nothing compared to what happens to me during some of these.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Thank you so much for posting these Scott - what a great initiative the OpLove project is!thumb.gif
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    These are so heartwarming! It brought me back down memory lane - I was on the Stennis a couple of times and my husband was on the Vincent. I remember when his ship docked off Norfolk, it was just like this!

PS. I really don't miss my sea bag, but it was really nice to be able to pack your entire life in one bag - even if it's heavier than you rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Awwwww Bless you, Bless them all!iloveyou.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Awwwww Bless you, Bless them all!iloveyou.gif
    It can be a lot of work with minimal rewards. Often I don't hear from the client after all the deliverables have been delivered. But, I don't do it for the pat on the back either. I have ulterior motives. I do it for my own sense of self-worth.
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    I really ejoyed the pics! You really captured the emotion of the day, I could almost feel what she was feeling! I can see where this would make you feel good to do something like this for someone!
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Very cool indeed Scott!!!! I admire all of the men and women serving our country. It is very nice that you record their homecoming this way.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Awesome Scott!

Hits close to home... great pics!!!!
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2009
    Yes, welcome home indeed!! Nice set Scott. These will definitely evoke some emotions!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8