Options

Please help me With Exposure Theory or Instruction

scrapbookerscrapbooker Banned Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited April 25, 2009 in Technique
<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 303pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="404"><col style="width: 303pt;" width="404"><tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 303pt;" width="404" height="17">Can somebody help me in finding a book or DVD to learn photography something like understanding exsposer of photos.</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    You've come to the right place ... although possibly not the right sub-forum (?)

Anyway, there are a number of books recommended by other dgrinners here.

I'd also add Joy of Photography and More Joy of Photography by the editors of Eastman Kodak. Long out of print, but excellent reads full of advice for differing skill levels, and 90% of it is still applicable to digital. You should be able to find both volumes for very cheap. (They pop up at library sales all the time around here, but it might just be my location. :D )
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    It would also be helpful to know where your interest lies in photography...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Moved to Technique.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 19, 2009
    Can somebody help me in finding a book or DVD to learn photography something like understanding exposure of photos.

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is a great book to explain the basics of correct exposure for film or digital photography. Amazon has it, used, for $14 - too cheap not to own one.

I do! Published by Amphoto it is large and in glorious color, and will help make everyone who reads it a better photographer.

I would also suggest a link I wrote a while ago about learning to estimate exposures out of doors without a light meter - this knowledge will help you evaluate whether what your meter is suggesting, is really the exposure that you want for the image you have in mind. Your meter does not really know if your subject is facing the sun or backlit, you do, and this is very pertinent information. Useful for exposure too!

I would also suggest you wander through the links in Andys sticky thread at the top of the Technique forum here as well There is a lot of wisdom tucked away in there, cheap too!!thumb.gif

Good digital imagery really begins at the moment of exposure. So many questions all over the web are how do I edit this image in Photoshop to fix what went wrong when the shutter was pushed. Start with an accurate exposure, and very good things happen. Saves a great deal of post exposure anguish and editing time also!

Welcome to dgrin, scrapbooker!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    All the books recommended above are good and cover the ground quite well. I would, however, like to recommend the book from which I was able to garner the most useful information, "The Negative" by Ansel Adams. Is it old? Oh, yeah. Does it talk about digital at all? Let's not be silly. Does it talk about exposure and the things to consider before making a photograph? Oh yea, and in spades. Parts of it are a tough read, but all the foundation information needed to make use of the tough parts are in the book as well. Read it. Study it. I checked it out from the libray on a 4-week loan and had re-new the loan before I got all the way through it. I'm thinking it might be time for me to do it all over again.
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Combo book/web site
    Hi Scrapbooker

This website http://www.shortcourses.com is an excellent resource.

The section titled "Using Your Digital Camera" is an online version of the book with the same name. The book is available as an ebook or a paper version.

The advantage of the web version are the 90+ animated examples.

The fellow that created this site has been writing educational materials and textbooks for quite some time. I use an instructor's version of this for my Saturday morning photo classes.

Give it a shot. It's free.
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net