Options

wedding fotography on Craigslist

jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited April 26, 2009 in Weddings
So I hopped on Craigslist this morning to see if there were any new deals in the photo/video section and saw this ad labeled: "wedding fotography" After the first few lines I picked up it was a joke but its sad how many people have a similar idea going into it. I was reading it and thinking, "man he really needs to read Scott's thoughts on Wedding Photography..." Anyways I though I would share:

"wedding fotography
<hr>
I've got a brand new camera but haven't even taken it out of the box. I really want to get into the wedding photography business because I see some many people getting married and it looks like easy money. I can't guarantee that even one photo will turn out looking good but I sure will try.

I don't have insurance, flashes, extra batteries, or even more than a kit lens that came in the box. If something goes wrong, you're out of luck. To keep things cheap for you, I won't even back up any of your images. Less cost for me means less cost for you. Just passing the savings on.

Please trust me to do your wedding. I'll do it cheap, half off, just to build up my portfolio.

I will only charge you $200. This is a deal. My camera cost me $700 brand new.

I don't even own a computer. The memory card of images, should they turn out will be taken to a Wal-Mart Picture stationa and prints will be made directly from the card. I add glow and selective color to all of my images, giving them the best look possible. No need to hassle with computer programs.

I own a camera therefore I can take photos like the pros, who charge alot more.

Think about it: Pros charge alot of money because they have alot of expenses. I don't.
Pros have
- multiple cameras
-thousands of dollars in lenses and flashes
-hard drives to back up the images
-insurance
-experience
-people skills
-color calibrated monitors

I have none of this stuff so we'll keep it cheap, just for you!

Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009

How did you find my ad? rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009

How did you find my ad? rolleyes1.gif

ne_nau.gifI was thinking it was you but just didn't want to point any fingers!rolleyes1.gif
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    jrmyrnsm wrote:
    So I hopped on Craigslist this morning to see if there were any new deals in the photo/video section and saw this ad labeled: "wedding fotography" After the first few lines I picked up it was a joke but its sad how many people have a similar idea going into it. I was reading it and thinking, "man he really needs to read Scott's thoughts on Wedding Photography..."
    It's like he/she did read my thoughts and then turned everything around. The really sad thing is that there are some that will attempt it just this way and there are brides that will go this route (it's called asking Uncle Bob, who has a nice camera, to take some snapshots).

Too funny - thanks so much for sharing. It made my day!!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Hilarious. rolleyes1.gif Wondering how much response he got rolleyes1.gif

Hey, been missing your pics on this forum lately!! Love your new engagement pics that you posted on your blog!! Very pretty. clap.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Unfortunately, I honestly think I have spotted that guy's work....on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    ahh crap! :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Hilarious! rolleyes1.gif

Reminds of this one from the local Craigslist (cyclists will understand)...

"I'm a hipster looking for a "fixed speed" bicycle. It must have only one speed. No brakes, they are for not cool people. I will be using it mostly as an excuse to wear an expensive bag and go to Starbucks. I also want to roll up my pant leg to show off my beat up Sambas and patterned socks.

If you have a "vintage" looking bicycle that I could convert to a fixie, that would be fine as well.

Must be cheap, my parent's give me little allowance.
    • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests"
  • Options
    boblinboblin Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    Hey Scott, I am Uncle Bob(to about 35 nieces and nephews) and I do have a nice camera along with some nice lenses, flashes, soft boxes, reflectors and about 30 years trying to adjust the eye behind the camera. I am in no way offended by your statement(I thought it was wonderfully ironic)rolleyes1.gif, but I do offer my services to them if they need it for whatever reason. I have even stepped in on the day of the wedding when the hired photographer bugged out at the last minute(yes, he payed me for the work). Otherwise, I tell them that I would rather enjoy their special day than have to work it.
    Thanks for a good laugh today.
    Some Cameras
    Some lenses
    Some extra gear
    Some willing and unwilling subjects to photograph.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Hey, been missing your pics on this forum lately!! Love your new engagement pics that you posted on your blog!! Very pretty. clap.gif

Thank you very much! I'll have to post some up here this weekend since I'll have a little more time...

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    a much needed laugh.....THANX:D:D:D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    formform Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    I have all the stuff that person talks about, but I don't charge that much more than they do...
    Las Vegas wedding photographer: http://www.joeyallenphoto.com
  • Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    It's like he/she did read my thoughts and then turned everything around. The really sad thing is that there are some that will attempt it just this way and there are brides that will go this route (it's called asking Uncle Bob, who has a nice camera, to take some snapshots).

Too funny - thanks so much for sharing. It made my day!!

What a sexist remark!

There are lots of grooms who will go this way also.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    cjmchch wrote:
    What a sexist remark!

Sexist? Maybe. A reflection of the general state of affairs - most certainly. In my, admittedly, limited experience, it's the bride that makes most or all of the decisions. Without exception, the groom has just "been along for the ride."

I aplogize if I offended you - it was not intentional.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    cjmchch wrote:
    What a sexist remark!

no not sexist.....LOGICAL.....who plans the wedding and is supposed to have all affairs dealing with the wedding taken care........the bride (no matter what the brides sexual orientation....if the person is standing on the left of the groom that is the bride ......also called stage right or house left........but tradition has it set that way)....the groom takes care of tuxes for the groomsmen and that is supposed to be it...............if it is an OLDER couple or a 2nd or 19th wedding then things may alter a bit..........

As for the groom.....99% of them would forgo the weddig altogether or they try their best to forgo tuxes and just wear jeans and tees................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    I visit CL once in a while, to see how low prices are getting. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. ne_nau.gif

This post is hysterical, however!! I wonder how many fishes are biting!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Sexist? Maybe. A reflection of the general state of affairs - most certainly. In my, admittedly, limited experience, it's the bride that makes most or all of the decisions. Without exception, the groom has just "been along for the ride."

I aplogize if I offended you - it was not intentional.

Haha, no need to aplogise, I was just fishing for a bite. Seems I got a good one from da udder fellow.thumb.gif
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    Wow... That is absolutely terrible eek7.gif

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    In my experience the few times we met with people and they ended up not hiring us because of price it has always been the husband who wanted to go a cheaper way.
    I feel really sorry for those guys if they get their wedding photos back and they look like doodoo lol...
    He will be thinking about (and hearing about) that extra money he should have spent to make his new wife happy with her wedding photos for a LONG time.....lol

But I totally agree the bride is the one who initially picks the wedding photographers she is interested...at least in my experience.

I thought the Craigs list posting was kind of inspired actually...but I always try to temper it with remembering that was me just a few years ago...posting for any kind of photo gig on Craigs list for peanuts....we all do have to start somewhere.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    zoomer wrote:

I thought the Craigs list posting was kind of inspired actually...but I always try to temper it with remembering that was me just a few years ago...posting for any kind of photo gig on Craigs list for peanuts....we all do have to start somewhere.

Such a very good point, you know. I see wedding photography advertised on different sites in the area, and they are just plain amateurs, they may have equipment, but don't really know how to use it, and then when I looked at their prices, i nearly spit coffee. I mean seriously this is a double edged sword, you have to feel for the consumer as much as you feel for the photographer. How can they charge "pro" rates if they don't have the experience, and um, talent? I've been shocked more than once. headscratch.gifeek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2009
    cjmchch wrote:
    Haha, no need to aplogise, I was just fishing for a bite. Seems I got a good one from da udder fellow.thumb.gif

Glad i could oblige...........:D rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    Not to rain on the parade. I read it, I laughed but I think stuff like this gives wedding photographers a bad name and really as a "wedding photographer community" you should be frowning on this clowning. It's nice to clown over dinner with other photogs but once you take it public it takes away from the community as whole.

There are a couple $300 shoot and burn CLers on my local CL and there is actually someone (I assume its a regular pro) who posts CL ads with "RE: $300 shoot and burn" and it's a deragatory personal message to the $300 shoot and burn guy/gal.

There can be an arguement made that most wedding photogs don't care about what goes on with brides searching CL but I believe wedding photographers need to do everything they can to protect they're image. It really isn't that great of an image to begin with.

If it sounds like I'm preaching, I'm not....just some random thoughts and food for thought. It is pretty funny stuff and I believe it started as viral thing on another forum and several photogs copied and pasted the ad in their local CL.
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2009
    After reading this post, I checked out CL just now... This one takes the cake (out of Denver)... Unbelievable!

"This is an offer as a second shower wedding photographer. It is free. I would be taking creative and candid shots. This offer is not meant to replace the main photographer. Sometimes though, the candid shots are the best. This is a nice cost free way to supplement your wedding pictures. The only cost will be the transfer to a DVD or the memory card-you choose. I have a fine arts backgroud and a nice NIkon camera and am looking for wedding photography experience. You receive a nice collection of pictures. Let me know if interested before the calender fills up. Anne"
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    After reading this post, I checked out CL just now... This one takes the cake (out of Denver)... Unbelievable!

"This is an offer as a second shower wedding photographer. It is free. I would be taking creative and candid shots. This offer is not meant to replace the main photographer. Sometimes though, the candid shots are the best. This is a nice cost free way to supplement your wedding pictures. The only cost will be the transfer to a DVD or the memory card-you choose. I have a fine arts backgroud and a nice NIkon camera and am looking for wedding photography experience. You receive a nice collection of pictures. Let me know if interested before the calender fills up. Anne"

And what is so wrong with that?

basically this person just wants to be invited to their wedding to take pictures and will give the pictures to the B&G. I think it is a fine way to gain some experience.

Personally if this was local and I was getting married again i would give them a shout.

Hell then again i did not have a photographer at all at our wedding, simply could not afford one, even a cheap sub $500 photographer. Hell wedding was done with less than $2000, including rings, dress, tux, and reception.

Not everyone can afford to get the best photographer out there, or even any photographer at all.