Options

Concert Opera shots (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited March 26, 2009 in People
Ok, after most of today spent here at the computer (I really need to budget my time better, or I get SO involved in editing that I check the clock and realise 6 hrs have passed... YIKES :huh)

This was a gig I volunteered to do to show my support for some friends who, after Big Local Union Opera Company declared bankruptcy, put together a concert opera group. Although there are some top name young professionals involved who donated their services for this inaugral performance, just about everything - including the lighting! - was donated by friends and associates (in fact, I've never seen the community so collective as with this venture - it was really neat to see EVERYBODY involved in opera in this area trying to contribute something to the project. Very cool.)

In any case, while the intentions were good and I have no doubt they've got it fixed up for tonight, the actual lighting last night was beyond bad: the ONLY lighting on offer was one (yes, one) lantern on a tree about 8ft in front of the stage on stage left... and it had a DARK RED GEL on it.

#1 below is an example of what it really looked like and what I was up against (this one is straight out of camera - all I did was convert to jpg). This is NOT a white balance or underexposure issue - it really looked like that :rolleyes I was impressed the lenses could even focus, since it was like shooting in a red-gelled cave.....

Lenses were an 85 1.8 and a 50 1.8, iso at 1600 (occasionally 800) and speeds varied from 30-250 or so; aperture was usually at 1.8, occasionally at 2.0. I intentionally underexposed part of the time to keep shutter speeds up (even in concert format they were moving around up there!)

C&C absolutely welcome - any at all, but particularly any further (or alternative) pp suggestions. So far these have had a fair bit of pp including USM sharpening, high-pass filter sharpening and a pass through noiseware. They're ok smallish, but 100% resolution I'm not happy with them - you can see the noise reduction "blips", alas.

1. What the lighting really looked like
IMG_4666-1.jpg

2. Donna Anna
498679346_oEL6A-L.jpg

3 candid of the guy who put this all together
498944092_rdzNi-L.jpg

4 Don Giovanni
498944161_NRcZi-L.jpg

5 Leporello and Donna Elvira
498944164_ZYHfE-L.jpg

6 Zerlina and Masetto
498944149_rxGZn-L.jpg

7 I know it's not that flattering to the gal at the front, but I do love that you can see the score cover and title so clearly :)
498972211_oiUDg-L.jpg

8 Don Ottavio

498972246_nxHdV-L.jpg

9 Pianist (duh... :rofl)
498972242_H8MEP-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    first let me say that I think you did great with the conditions you had. I have always found it very difficult to get good shots in low light conditions, unless everything is static and not moving around. The last picture was my favourite.

Like I said, its hard to get a good shot in low lighting with moving subjects, so in my opinion, you did a good job. thumb.gif

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2009
    Holy cow, could you make it any tougher on yourself? You did a great job under these conditions. I probably would have taken one look at that light and gone home.

What's your next challenge? Total darkness??:D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    Holy cow, could you make it any tougher on yourself? You did a great job under these conditions. I probably would have taken one look at that light and gone home.

15524779-Ti.gif on all points. I think you did a wonderful job considering the conditions. I'm really surprised your 50 f/1.8 was able to acquire focus lock. WOW! thumb.gif

As for your next challenge - I understand the folks at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California would like some photographic images of some dark matter. Why don't you see what you can do to help them out. After this test/practice run, I think you have what it takes to get the job done! rolleyes1.gif :lol :lol4
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    Wow you "done good!" Impressive with that light. My favorite part of the thread though is everyone's names... they all have opera-ish names. They must have been born with opera on the brain. :andy

That and I love the first lady's arm positions.... very polka and cute.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    first let me say that I think you did great with the conditions you had. I have always found it very difficult to get good shots in low light conditions, unless everything is static and not moving around. The last picture was my favourite.

Like I said, its hard to get a good shot in low lighting with moving subjects, so in my opinion, you did a good job. thumb.gif

Joe

Thanks! Yeah, that's why I was willing to sacrifice some exposure in favour of shutter speeds in the hundreds; with hindsight I wish I'd struck a happier medium between the two (only underexposed by .5-1 stop instead of 1.5-2, for instance) but I guess I'll get a better feel for all that if I do more of this - experience is a good teacher!

(edited for typos)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:

Mitchell, you are too funny - my husband laughed out loud when he saw your post (I had already nearly ruined my keyboard when I'd read it earlier in the evening.... while drinking a cup of tea...!!)

Thanks for the encouragement!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif on all points. I think you did a wonderful job considering the conditions. I'm really surprised your 50 f/1.8 was able to acquire focus lock. WOW! thumb.gif

Thanks Scott! I was really surprised the 50mm focused too, but it probably behaved the best it ever has - go figure! Maybe I'll rethink selling it after all.... headscratch.gif
    As for your next challenge - I understand the folks at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California would like some photographic images of some dark matter. Why don't you see what you can do to help them out. After this test/practice run, I think you have what it takes to get the job done! rolleyes1.gif :lol :lol4

Hahahahhahaaha... you guys are too funny!!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2009
    Wow you "done good!" Impressive with that light. My favorite part of the thread though is everyone's names... they all have opera-ish names. They must have been born with opera on the brain. :andy

That and I love the first lady's arm positions.... very polka and cute.

(Pssstt.... Heather..... those are the characters' names :D)

Thanks for the props!!!

I'm pleased to say that I just had a note for the friend who organised this thing, and he was ECSTATIC with the pictures and hopes I"ll do so more for them, which was nice to hear... although I hope he doesn't forget that first and foremost I'm a *singer* and, fun though shooting is, I'd rather donate my vocal services at some point rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    (Pssstt.... Heather..... those are the characters' names :D)

Thanks for the props!!!

I'm pleased to say that I just had a note for the friend who organised this thing, and he was ECSTATIC with the pictures and hopes I"ll do so more for them, which was nice to hear... although I hope he doesn't forget that first and foremost I'm a *singer* and, fun though shooting is, I'd rather donate my vocal services at some point rolleyes1.gif

hahahaaha! Yeah.. you can tell I am "really well versed" in opera! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2009
    hahahaaha! Yeah.. you can tell I am "really well versed" in opera! rolleyes1.gif

You can say that again!!!

I'm glad we can all laugh at ourselves! Heather, you really cracked me up here!rolleyes1.gif