Options

Beth - a high-key session

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in People
Some time ago, I taught Beth a thing or two about shooting, using flash, etc. Spent a bit of time with her. In compensation, she agreed to pose for me. The "theme" of the shoot was to produce some shots that her husband would appreciate for Valientines Day.

IN planning for this shoot, I considered her fair coloring and thought a high-key session would work. These are some of the shots that came out of the session (I'm just started and I have lots more to finish in the next couple of days:D).

Anyway, have a look and feel free to make comments or provide critique. There are lots of things I see in these that I think I would do differently had I to do it over again.

1. This was captured, literally, 1 minute into the shoot. It was the first one I processed and I think it's my second favorite of the shoot.
457973338_BzLXN-L-1.jpg

458028435_Ej9EQ-L.jpg

458028007_pU56A-L.jpg

458047655_VQnpV-L.jpg

5. This one is probably my favorite of the entire shoot. Funny thing is, when I went through the culling process, this one didn't make the first cut and got moved to the "not to be processed" folder because the background was garbage. But, something called me back - I think it's the eyes. Anyway, I played with it for a bit and wondered what would happen if I cropped out as much of the background as I could. We have a tight crop!
457973238_dJdim-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Nice HK, Scott! thumb.gif
    I guess this is gonna be our "mode du jour" for a while, eh? Boys with their new toys:-)
    What were your readings on bg and one the front lights?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Oh Wow! She is gorgeous!! I love this set! The lighting and colors look fantastic. clap.gif

I'm to be shooting a friend in a couple weeks as a surprise for her husband. I wish I could do something like this, but I don't have lights or backdrops. Hmmm...must do some research.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice HK, Scott! thumb.gif
    I guess this is gonna be our "mode du jour" for a while, eh? Boys with their new toys:-)
    What were your readings on bg and one the front lights?
    Incident at the model was between f/8 and f/9

Incident at the background was f/11 - should have been a bit higher.

I'll be able to keep this "studio" in place until about the middle of Saturday, then I have to break it down.:cry It's my wife's space and I'm forced to share it with a couple of different evening classes.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh Wow! She is gorgeous!! I love this set! The lighting and colors look fantastic. clap.gif

I'm to be shooting a friend in a couple weeks as a surprise for her husband. I wish I could do something like this, but I don't have lights or backdrops. Hmmm...must do some research.
    This entire setup cost about $230. The seamless white paper was more than $100 - shipping on that stuff is a killer. After having done it once, I think I could probably set something like this up for less than $100. Of course, the lights are a bit on top of that.
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Very nice! I like definately like #1 and 5! The only thing I noticed is there is something distracting on her left cheek? a group of freckles perhaps? or a smudge? maybe you could lighten them up a bit?
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2009
    Was this your first high key shoot, Scott? Whether or not it is, you did a fantastic job! Although I find her shirt a little hot on the first four shots. But the face shot, the one you cropped, is magnificent! thumb.gif

Extremely well done!! wings.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Woohoo! I figured you had something up your sleeve after all your hints about "Monday", so was waiting for something from you to turn up today! clap.gif
    1. This was captured, literally, 1 minute into the shoot. It was the first one I processed and I think it's my second favorite of the shoot.
    457973338_BzLXN-L-1.jpg
    Beautiful... except I can't get past the shirt covering her mouth. Given the quality of the others you've got, you can spare this one, nice though it is! Man, she has seriously got eyes going on - just beautiful.
    458028435_Ej9EQ-L.jpg
    Stunning, stunning, stunning. One could argue blown highlights on the left arm, but when it's as good as this, who cares? Has she modelled professionally, or is she just naturally talented? (Also, nice makeup job - did you use a pro, or'd she do it herself?

There's a really neat and rather subtle subtext going on too between the sexy pose and glimpse of undergarment and the prominent wedding ring finger (particularly when you consider these are a Valentine's prezzy for her husband) thumb.gif

458047655_VQnpV-L.jpg
    This and number 2 are my favorites. LOVE. Her neck's a little stiff, but I really like the whole combo of high key set, white shirt and that dark chair. Works a treat.

457973238_dJdim-L.jpg
    This is a great closeup - actually, having said 2&4 were my favorites, I think I need to add this one as well!

On this one, can you soften the undereye makeup ever so slightly (not the undereye area, but just under the eyes where there's highlight)? In the others i like the effect -this closeup, it jumps out at me a tiny bit too much. Perhaps a little blurring to soften it enough to make it blend in?

Really enjoying these Scott - would love to see some more of them as you work through the shoot nod.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Very nice! I like definately like #1 and 4! The only thing I noticed is there is something distracting on her left cheek? a group of freckles perhaps? or a smudge? maybe you could lighten them up a bit?
    Thanks for the comments and I'll take a look at the cheek later today.
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Was this your first high key shoot, Scott? Whether or not it is, you did a fantastic job! Although I find her shirt a little hot on the first four shots. But the face shot, the one you cropped, is magnificent! thumb.gif

Extremely well done!! wings.gif
    By the numbers, the shirt didn't read blown in PS, but I may be mistaken. But the shirt does look blown in spots on my monitors at work (which are not calibrated) Maybe I need to revisit. And, yes, this was my first high-key session.
    divamum wrote:
    Woohoo! I figured you had something up your sleeve after all your hints about "Monday", so was waiting for something from you to turn up today! clap.gif
    Glad you liked!
    divamum wrote:
    Beautiful... except I can't get past the shirt covering her mouth. Given the quality of the others you've got, you can spare this one, nice though it is! Man, she has seriously got eyes going on - just beautiful.
    On the other hand, I like this one for the fact of the way she is concealing a portion of her face. I would have liked it even more if all of her mouth had been covered by the shirt collar. Maybe it's the guy thing in me?ne_nau.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Stunning, stunning, stunning. One could argue blown highlights on the left arm, but when it's as good as this, who cares? Has she modelled professionally, or is she just naturally talented? (Also, nice makeup job - did you use a pro, or'd she do it herself?
    You're the second to comment on the blown shirt - I'll definitely need to re-look at this.
    divamum wrote:
    There's a really neat and rather subtle subtext going on too between the sexy pose and glimpse of undergarment and the prominent wedding ring finger (particularly when you consider these are a Valentine's prezzy for her husband) thumb.gif
    Her DH is in the military. I have a thing about guys serving our nation - I wanted to do something for the couple by way of "Thanks". Hence, the shots were all directed at him and what she thought he would appreciate. Getting her rings in the shots was important to me
    divamum wrote:
    This and number 2 are my favorites. LOVE. Her neck's a little stiff, but I really like the whole combo of high key set, white shirt and that dark chair. Works a treat.
    Help me with this ... I can see that her neck is a litle corded - under tension. What about it reads "stiff" to you.
    divamum wrote:
    This is a great closeup - actually, having said 2&4 were my favorites, I think I need to add this one as well!

On this one, can you soften the undereye makeup ever so slightly (not the undereye area, but just under the eyes where there's highlight)? In the others i like the effect -this closeup, it jumps out at me a tiny bit too much. Perhaps a little blurring to soften it enough to make it blend in?
    Again - more help required. I'm not understanding what you mean. I can see the lighter colored eye makeup under her right eye - is that what you mean?
    divamum wrote:
    Really enjoying these Scott - would love to see some more of them as you work through the shoot nod.gif
    Thank you - I get warm fuzzy feelings from comments like that! I will continue the PP this afternoon. Based on the comments above, I think I will probably be re-working these and posting before and afters. If they're not up by 6:30PM EST, they won't be up until tomorrow as I have an appointment at 7:00.
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    What a gorgeous model. These are really nice Scott. My favourite is the second one. Love her expression (serious yet seductive) and her hair blowing away from her face. My second favourite is #5. Those eyes!! So glad you retrieved it from the 'toss' pile. I really like the lighting on her face.

I love the natural feeling of these as well.

-- Lisa P.
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Awesome shots, the lighting and exposure are great. love 2 and 4! clap.gif
    I think I could probably set something like this up for less than $100.

I'd love to hear some details?
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Scott,

Very nice. I look forward to seeing more.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    DavremdaliDavremdali Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Exceptional
    Exceptional photographs. I see pancake lighting with a touch of glamor. Number 2 is my favorite. Keep up the good work

Reynaldo -AKA- Davremdali
    www.creativephotoimages.smugmug.com
    www.edc-llc.net
    www.facebook.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Glad you liked!On the other hand, I like this one for the fact of the way she is concealing a portion of her face. I would have liked it even more if all of her mouth had been covered by the shirt collar. Maybe it's the guy thing in me?ne_nau.gif

I think that's it exactly - either all covered or not covered, but the part cover is what distracts me. We're talking really nit-picky though - I can see exactly why you like it, because the expressioin rocks! I wonder what happens if you play around with somehow removing the tiny bit of mouth showing, maybe cloning some collar over it, or liquifying the collar larger or somesuch? Or, alternatively, using liquify on the mouth and making it a tiny bit more prominent? Might be too much distortion, but I wonder....
    Her DH is in the military. I have a thing about guys serving our nation - I wanted to do something for the couple by way of "Thanks". Hence, the shots were all directed at him and what she thought he would appreciate. Getting her rings in the shots was important to me

It totally works thumb.gifthumb

Help me with this ... I can see that her neck is a litle corded - under tension. What about it reads "stiff" to you.

Hmm. I'm having trouble definining "why", that's just how it initially read to me. I do note there's a shadow on her collar bone (her right h side) which emphasises muscle movement/angle - I wonder what happens if you soften that? It's really not a big deal - very subtle. And I think I'm picking nits at a pretty absurd level of detail!
    Again - more help required. I'm not understanding what you mean. I can see the lighter colored eye makeup under her right eye - is that what you mean?

I mean the frosted, light pink highlighter right under her lashes, extended to the inner corner of her eye and nose (both sides). Just a tiny bit of blurring or very sheer cloning (perhaps on a "darken" setting so it only alters the too-light pixels?) might blend that in softer so it's a little more natural in this one shot. She's so pretty and the lips/cheeks are in such a natural style/colours that the extra makeup is distracting for me in this one shot (and a tiny bit in #2, but it doesn't really catch my eye there as much because it's not so close up - in the longer shots, it's not so obvious). Then again, I tend to notice makeup details (too much time in the theatre, presumably ;), so it may not bother anybody else at all, ymmv etc etc.
    Based on the comments above, I think I will probably be re-working these and posting before and afters.

Look forward to seeing them! thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Oooh These are beauty! And you have a great model!

WTG with the setup and too bad you have to take it down so soon! But at least you have the know how now, huh.

clap.gifclap
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Why do the numbers 007 come into my mind, Scott?!? headscratch.gifD Were you thinking of them??

White on white - now that's brave thumb.gif Seems like summoning the WB demon to me. But it didn't come, obviously. clap.gif

There are very nice things in all of these, and some of those things are unique to HK.

Is there a filter on the skin. I keep seeing what could be. Almost a graininess?

The hair is most luxurious in the first one, and I miss that in the others, where it is flatter.

I'm not sure I like the choice of a man's shirt to save modesty. A little clicheed? And its mixed messages fussy the images with needless associations.

My goodness, I think this HK thing is catching... I feel the symptoms coming on! eek7.gif

EDIT: I just came across your reference to the rings. They jarred with me when I saw them, but in the circumstances they have a reason to be there. But the shirt should come off. What am I saying eek7.gif :banned

EDIT2: I wouldn't touch the mouth in #1 (well, hubby is in the military, right?)
    I think there are problems with the posing of the head in #4, sometimes it looks like it has partly fallen off the neck, and I agree with divamum that the neck anatomy is detracting (well, it's trying to keep the head on)
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    It's a beautiful set, Scott. The partially covered mouth in the first one doesn't bother me because her eyes are so captivating in this one. Her husband is a lucky guy, and he will love these.

Caroline
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    IN planning for this shoot, I considered her fair coloring and thought a high-key session would work. These are some of the shots that came out of the session (I'm just started and I have lots more to finish in the next couple of days:D).

You are right - her fair coloring makes this work but that hair puts it over the top. Not to be a follower here but I like #2 and #5. Please share more of these. Now I have to go back to your SP post to take another look at your setup.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Some wonderful HK shots Scott!!! Nice lighting control. I have to work on not creating blown out shots when I play with these types of shots. Thanks for sharing.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Nice job Scott. Very clean and crisp looking.....all of them.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2009
    As promised - A rework (finally)
    Just to show that I can, eventually, get it right .... here are the same photos but this time the exposure of the shirt is a bit better controlled. Analysis of my workflow showed that I wasn't paying enough attention to the histogram during the RAW conversion step. Anyway ... here they are:

460098239_DmYd2-L.jpg

460098257_QYkb6-L.jpg

460101373_jPrAG-L.jpg

460098063_VqBCv-L.jpg
  • Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    Great shot Scott! You've got a winner to work with. Love her eyes!

glenn
  • Options
    PrairiemaidenPrairiemaiden Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    HK Setup
    mwink.gifWould it be possible to post a shopping list for someone wanting to try this?
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great images as usual Scott. Only nit pick I have is the pink bra is distracting....maybe a clone out or shoot without it.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    mwink.gifWould it be possible to post a shopping list for someone wanting to try this?

Thanks for pulling this outta the 'done bin'!

These shots are right on the money of what I term, High Key as being all about. SUPERFANTABULOUS JOB!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Sooooo, did the client (and hubby) dig them as much as we all did?
    Also, you promised us MORE.... Bring It! (or are they in another thread?).
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    You need 3-4 manually controllable lights, white backdrop, white tileboard, and, naturally a camera and a way to trigger the lights.
    Models is not included. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    Read these pages, start here