Options

Successes - recommendations for travel to the shootout in acadia

BOATSBOATS Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 3, 2009 in The Big Picture
so far i have found it difficult to get some answers - no not from dg - according to everything i see if you are planning to go in by train - and i am still working on this one - amtrack only goes to portland - so i have been looking at alternatives to get there from portland - it looks like there is a ferry connection - BUT - it goes to Yarmouth Nova Scotia first and according to everything i see from the previous years schedule it looks like that would only be good for a one way trip at best as it shuts down at the end of the first week of oct. again 09 schedule is not posted but thats what looks like in the past. and as an old salt of the Atlantic coast - a ride on the northern part of the Atlantic in Oct would be a - lets say - challenging - ride. but i am optimistic and still working. yes i know there are planes and buses and the option of driving - but im still working on alternative runs. well anyway i am waiting for responses from Bar Harbor chamber of commerce to see what else is available and as long as i receive no protests i will post here what i come up with. so moderators if you want me to stay off the post on this - just shoot me a message but im trying to save someone else the trouble of finding this out at the last minute. thanks all and look forward to seeing you all in Maine. :D:D:D:D:D
"the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 28, 2008
    The ferry ride from Yarmouth, NS to Bar Harbor is beautiful, but as you noted it does stop running in October. It is very much out of the way. And the ferry runs on different days between Portland and Yarmouth and Bar Harbor and Yarmouth - so you couldn't take both ferry rides on the same day.

There is bus service between Portland and Bangor, and also between Portland and Bar Harbor. If you haven't already stumbled on the Maine Office of Tourism site, here's a link to the bus services - http://www.visitmaine.com/plan/?vm=m0v2tvloomgb40ndama3i5m0h0#s5.

When you mention riding, are you talking about bicycle or motorcycle, or something else entirely? If you're thinking about biking, you might want to pick up the map for the northern end of the Atlantic Coast route from Adventure Cycling - http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/atlanticcoast.cfm?pg=detail&s=1. I've ridden (by bicycle) sections of that route, but not the entire route. That's a beautiful area, but the weather can be iffy from a cold and wet standpoint at that time of year.

Even if you decide to fly instead of taking the train, it's possible that you will find better airfares flying into Manchester, NH and then driving from there. If you're flying, check the prices into Manchester, Boston, Portland, and Bangor. Obviously Bangor is the closest...

--- Denise
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Driving from 23606 to Bar Harbor
    FWIW, the DW and I will be driving from 23606 to Bar Harbor - making the trip up and again back a two day pre/post shootout adventure stopping where we want and as the mood takes us.

The route I think we will be taking (open to modification - it's a year away:D) can be seen here.

We'll have room for at least one, maybe two people and gear.

To make life easier for someone, we might be able to schedule a pick up and (after the event) a drop off at an airport or rail station.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2008
    travel
    thanks that might be an option - i am going to be up near springfield mass near my grandsons - as far as the way back - i am going to head near New Haven Ct - i think - i have a Navy buddy there i have not seen in a few years - this might work out. where do you guys plan on stopping? did you think of Boston - the Constitution - the Navy's tall ship is there. might be a good place for some shots - lets talk about this some more - let me know. joerowles@yahoo.com
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    "the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." MARCEL PROUST

"I am not an artist. I am a fartist - 98% of what i take stinks - the other 2% makes me look good."
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    other travel options
    i received this from the visitors bureau of Bar Harbor - when i asked for alternatives from Portland incase anyone is interested.

their email is visitors@barharborinfo.com

At 01:10 PM 11/26/2008, you wrote:
    >Please advise I am looking at coming to ARCADIA in OCT of 2009 I
    >was planning to come in via train
    but as far as I can tell I can only
    >get to Portland using the train
    is there a was to get to you from
    >Portland
    either Ferry without going to Nova Scotia first or direct.
    >Please advise of any alternatives that I might have
    thanks all help
    >is appreciated.

You are correct that the train only goes as far as Portland (where one can get a Concord Trailways bus (800-639-3317
    <www.concordtrailways.com) to Bangor , then the Bar Harbor Shuttle Van from Bangor to Bar Harbor
    (207-479-5911 <
    www.barharborshuttle.com>. Your other option (short of renting a car) is flying Colgan Air from Boston to Bar Harbor Airport (800-428-4322. Colgan is managed by US Airways).
    Hope this helps some.
    Mary
    Visitor Services

• Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Travel to MDI
    BOATS wrote:
    amtrack only goes to portland - so i have been looking at alternatives to get there from portland -

This info is correct. Another important piece of train info it that trains from the south into Boston arrive at South Station and the trains to Maine leave from North Station - they are a few miles apart. It is possible to take a cab or subway between the two stations if the schedule allows. What many people do when traveling from the south is to catch the Concord bus from South Station to Portland (also a good way to travel from Logan Airport to Portland) - see http://www.concordcoachlines.com/concord_coach.htm.

For more information about getting into Portland look at http://www.transportme.org/html/General_Home.html. I do not know anything about getting from Portland to Bar Harbor so I can't help there (I live here and I drive).

As soon as we get through the pre-Christmas rush I will post some information on shooting opportunities in the Portland area (home). I am working for LL Bean and do not have too much time off these days.

Knapp Hudson
    Portland, Maine
    www.stonecoastphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2009
    cat schedule - the ferry
    if anyone is interested here is the ferry schedule for 2009
    if anyone would like a full copy of the email let me know i will forward to you

the-cat-logo.gifbook-your-vacation.gif
    • fares & Schedule
    You are here: Home > Schedule & Fares > Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Ferry Schedule
    2009 Ferry Schedule

Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia<!--2009 Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine – Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Ferry Schedules-->

<!--The 2009 September-October sailing schedule below has been modified from our printed materials. Please call 1-877-359-3760 for further information and assistance.
    -->May 31- July 3 and September 8 - October 12

<TABLE class=tabular cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=470><TBODY><TR height=20><TH width=260></TD><TH width=30>Mon</TD> <TH width=30>Tues</TD> <TH width=30>Wed</TD> <TH width=30>Thurs</TD> <TH width=30>Fri</TD> <TH width=30>Sat</TD> <TH width=30>Sun</TD> </TR><TR height=27><TD>Bar Harbor to Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)

</TD><TD>9:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD></TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd height=27><TD>Portland to Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)

</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD></TD><TD>8:00</TD></TR><TR height=27><TD>Yarmouth to Bar Harbor
    (Atlantic Time)

</TD><TD>17:00<!--**--></TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd height=27><TD width=260>Yarmouth to Portland
    (Atlantic Time)

</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>16:00<!--*--></TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD></TD><TD>16:00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Note:
    May 31st: Sailing from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor only
    Oct 12th: Sailing from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth only
    July 4- Sept 7

<TABLE class=tabular cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=470><TBODY><TR height=20><TH width=260></TD><TH width=30>Mon</TD> <TH width=30>Tues</TD> <TH width=30>Wed</TD> <TH width=30>Thurs</TD> <TH width=30>Fri</TD> <TH width=30>Sat</TD> <TH width=30>Sun</TD> </TR><TR height=27><TD>Bar Harbor to Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)

</TD><TD>9:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd height=27><TD>Portland to Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)

</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD><TD>8:00</TD></TR><TR height=27><TD>Yarmouth to Bar Harbor
    (Atlantic Time)

</TD><TD>17:00</TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=odd height=27><TD width=260>Yarmouth to Portland
    (Atlantic Time)

</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD>16:00</TD><TD>16:00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--May 30 - July 13, 2009

--><!--<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="470" class="tabular"> <tbody> <tr height="20"> <th width="260"></td> <th width="30">Sun</td> <th width="30">Mon</td> <th width="30">Tues</td> <th width="30">Wed</td> <th width="30">Thurs</td> <th width="30">Fri</td> <th width="30">Sat</td> </tr> <tr height="27"> <td>Bar Harbor-Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)</td> <td> </td> <td>9:00</td> <td>8:00</td> <td>8:00</td> <td>8:00</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr height="27" class="odd"> <td>Portland-Yarmouth
    (Eastern Time)</td> <td>8:00</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td>8:00</td> <td>8:00</td> </tr> <tr height="27"> <td>Yarmouth-Bar Harbor
    (Atlantic Time)</td> <td> </td> <td>17:00</td> <td>16:00</td> <td>16:00</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr height="27" class="odd"> <td width="260">Yarmouth-Portland
    (Atlantic Time)</td> <td>16:00</td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td> </td> <td>16:00</td> <td>16:00</td> <td>16:00</td> </tr> </tbody></table>-->Approximate Crossing Times:
    • Bar Harbor-Yarmouth: 3 hours
    • Portland-Yarmouth: 5.5 hours
    Advance reservations are strongly recommended. A credit card is required for all reservations. Please note that the following fees are payable in addition to indicated fares: $10 US per person port and security fee each way; fuel surcharge if imposed; $50 US cancellation fee within 48 hours of departure; $100 US no-show fee for vehicle bookings. Schedules, fares and fees are subject to change or surcharge without notice. Special offers and fares are subject to availability and conditions – please ask for details.
    Please review our full Terms and Conditions prior to booking.

Toll Free: 1.877.359.3760 Email: comments@canadaferry.com
    Get Travel Deals Via RSS

• Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    travel to maine
    I will be traveling from South Bend indiana area to Niagara Falls ny for a couple of days then to Springfield Mass for a couple of days then up from there. if anyone needs a lift from Mass on up to maine i am more than willing to pick some one up to share the ride and the fuel - let me know and we can work it out. i will be on a 2 week jaunt and in a jeep wrangler so if anyone is interested let me know - even if it is one way. up or out - on the way out as it stands right now i am planning to head thru boston to annapolis md and dc the cut back to indiana accross hwy 40. so again if anyone has any interest let me know - the only part i am unflexible right now is heading accross to ny and mass. everything else is fringe planning.

• Options
    JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2009
    I grew up in the area- and worked it as a sales rep for about 10 years. The ferry is a very convoluted option- and that time of year you've basically got two options on the weather- crisp and blindingly clear, or rainy, windy, nasty. I wouldn't bank on the first if I were about to do a North Atlantic crossing- even on that awesome cat they're running.

In my mind there's really only one option if you're a photographer- fly to Portland and rent a car. Drive the coast and stop in: The "Old Port" section of Portland, Freeport to visit LL Bean, Boothbay Harbor, Camden/Rockport, Blue Hill and then on to Bar Harbor. There's so many opportunities along the route between Portland and Acadia, you'd be missing a lot to do it any other way. Grab a map, talk to some (interesting) locals and find your way there in due time. It's a beautiful part of the country- Option two is to fly to Bangor, rent a car and first head north into the great north woods- Moosehead lake, the Golden road to Mount Katahdin- another highly photogenic area.

... but do the coast route- you'll be glad you did.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2009
    thanks
    thanks for the thoughts

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Ditto to what Jabba said!! I have visited family in the area several times in the last 4 years. There are some awesome photo opps at practically every turn of a road. Depending on how much time one has, there are many coves to explore, loads of boats to shoot, and tons of seafood to eat--or to shoot. Lots of iconic Maine scenes like lobster pots and boats, docks, old buildings, etc. Of course, the Portland Head Light is awesome. And then there are the October leaves . . .

I will most likely fly into Portland and rent a car for the above reasons. If I decide on that plan, I will post here and offer transport to Bar Harbor.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Ditto to what Jabba said!! I have visited family in the area several times in the last 4 years. There are some awesome photo opps at practically every turn of a road. Depending on how much time one has, there are many coves to explore, loads of boats to shoot, and tons of seafood to eat--or to shoot. Lots of iconic Maine scenes like lobster pots and boats, docks, old buildings, etc. Of course, the Portland Head Light is awesome. And then there are the October leaves . . .

I will most likely fly into Portland and rent a car for the above reasons. If I decide on that plan, I will post here and offer transport to Bar Harbor.

Lauren

If you have the time after the event - keep coming north. The coastline in NB rivals Maine's for sure! (she said modestly rolleyes1.gif)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada