Options

What is your favorite flash diffuser?

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 11, 2008 in Accessories
I need a flash diffuser for my Speedlite 550 for flash fill (portraits, weddings, etc.). I would love to hear from photographers who have used more than 1 diffuser - of the ones you have used which one do you prefer and WHY? How easy is it to attach, remove, adjust? What about portability and storage? If you have only used one flash diffuser how did you decide on that one (over the competition)? Price? Features? Size? Convenience (e.g. retail purchase, no time to order)?
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    3 Flash Diffusers
    I have 2 commercial and I guess 1 diy....

Let's start with DIY.....I always keep Kleenex with me....and only the white ones....easy to make a diffuser quikly and cheaply and I also keep a few rubber bands in camera bag......and actually they work great but have short half life.......

The 2 commercial units:

I have a Lambency ( Just Like a Gary fong) mine is clear and I use it with the white diffuser......very small learning curve as I meter 99.99999% of my flash shots with a handheld meter......works great cost ~$26 incl s/h in US....there are cheaper units shipping from Hong Kong but I did not want to wait the much longer time..........

My fav is the Lumiquest large softbox...again I meter all flash shots so I do not worry about compensation too much.....what I really lke about the Lumiquest is that it fits all of my flash units (my sunpak 622's and my KM 5600HS).............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    I have several (used on a Nikon SB-600, but that doesn't really matter, I suppose.) I have the Lumiquest Pocket Diffuser, the Gary Fong Lightsphere (let's say clear, maybe?), the Stofen Omni-bounce, and a Better Bounce Card (DIY kinda thing.)

If the room isn't to crazy huge, I would say that the Gary Fong works best. But it does kind of chew through batteries since it is trying to light the whole room. And it is kind of heavy. If the room is super huge with really tall ceilings, you are kind of wasting a lot of light since it is omnidirectional.

Number two on my list would be the Better Bounce Card. You can make one yourself for about $5. I use a couple of black ponytail holders from my wife to keep it on the flash. It works quite nicely. (Just do a search on google and you will find the how-to.)

The Stofen and the Lumiquest don't see a lot of action, to be honest. Slapping the Omnibounce on with the head angled at about 45 degrees works pretty well, but if there is a decent ceiling to bounce off of, I prefer the better bounce card.

I am not really a pro or a wedding photographer or a portrait photographer, so I don't know that I am the best judge.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,842 moderator
    edited August 1, 2008
    I use a number of flash modifiers for weddings and events, only one of which is commercial:

Demb Flip-it: This is a very small, lightweight and versatile adaptation of the bounce card. It is often misunderstood and therefore dismissed, but with a very little bit of practice and experience it is very useful.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

Better Bounce Card: Terribly simple , lightweight and cheap to construct, this little device is gaining in support, and for good reason, "it works".

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Scoop reflector: I love this device everytime I use it. Works especially well with high ceilings or dark ceilings and walls. I made a prototype and then 3 that I take and each cost less than 2 dollars.

Based upon the following link (but modified by me):

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    I've been using the Gary Fong lightsphere cloud and love it, it's done some really great things and truly brings that little sparkle to the eyes while evening out flash on the face w/out losing bounce effect.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    What Ziggy said deal.gif
    Omnibounce is OK, if you know what you're doing.
    LS is a pure racket. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    I like my Lumiquest PocketBounce because it folds flat and
    when I have more storage room in my bag I use a Lightsphere
    type of Diffusor. The Later allows bouncing off walls as well.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    What Ziggy said, less the reference to the Joe Demb product. I used to use the Demb Flip-It for those situations where I don't have an appropriate ceiling. Worked pretty good. I've since moved to the light scoop for those situations - it works better and provides a larger light source for softer shadows.

If I need portability, my favorite, by far, is the Better Bouce Card (BBC). It's been used by photographers for what, 30, 40 years. It's simple. It's cheap to make and easily replaced. Made from appropriate materials, it's nearly indestructible. And, most importantly, it works as designed when used in appropriate settings.
  • Options
    jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I meter 99.99999% of my flash shots with a handheld meter....

That is not feasible at a wedding. I assisted at a wedding yesterday. We went from shooting in full sun, to dappled light (under trees) to shade, to backlit, in the tent, in the tent backlit, partial sun and partial tented shade, etc. all afternoon. I didn't have time to sit down, to have a bite to eat, to do anything other than shoot, shoot, change lens, change battery, change card, shoot, move gear, help pose people, move cruft in background, shoot, etc. for 7 hours.

I tried the Better Bounce Card solution (using "foam" paper and a rubber band) yesterday. I found that it doesn't work well outdoors when you have a breeze.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    That is not feasible at a wedding. I assisted at a wedding yesterday. We went from shooting in full sun, to dappled light (under trees) to shade, to backlit, in the tent, in the tent backlit, partial sun and partial tented shade, etc. all afternoon. I didn't have time to sit down, to have a bite to eat, to do anything other than shoot, shoot, change lens, change battery, change card, shoot, move gear, help pose people, move cruft in background, shoot, etc. for 7 hours.

I tried the Better Bounce Card solution (using "foam" paper and a rubber band) yesterday. I found that it doesn't work well outdoors when you have a breeze.
    That sound typical!:D

As for the BBC outdoors - not going to work so well as long as you don't have a ceiling/wall to bounce off of. It's pretty much an indoor tool.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,842 moderator
    edited August 4, 2008
    jcdill wrote:

"Bounce" devices require a ceiling or wall to act as a primary reflector. The "card" in that combination recycles some of the spill light that would normally go backward and uses it for fill lighting.

A "scoop" is still fairly efficient outdoors because it works almost the opposite to the bounce card. A scoop catches about half of the light from the flash, effectively lifts the light high off of the flash, and redirects the light forward over a larger surface. I have no problems using a scoop in direct shade for a one or two shot, but with a group I would use direct flash but only as fill. A scoop is not effective in high wind, but the subjects are going to get blown in a high wind as well, so I try to find another location out of the wind.

P.S. Scott types faster than I do.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Originally Posted by Art Scott
    I meter 99.99999% of my flash shots with a handheld meter....

jcdill wrote:

You may not find it feasable but I find it a necessity asI do not bracket much.....I find a couple of seconds for a meter reading hasn't slowed me down at all.....I have always worked alone...no 2nd shooter, no assistants for posing no cruft remover....only me and I rely on my meter so I am not relying on hopefully getting the correct flash compensation for dappled shadows and such.......I do not try to shoot 1k+ at a wedding.....I do my best to hold shots to 150 - 300 at the largest most extrvagant weddings of 4-8 hours in length.....in my part of the world a noprmal wedding is approx 4 -5 hours and actually only 3- 3.5 hrs if properly scheduled.....I start shooting 1.5 hrs before ceremony and run thru the reception......I usually somehow wind up with a sister of the B or G or a Bridesmaid bringing me ice water and a bite on the fly while shooting.......I do not change lenses, I do not change cards ( I have 2 8gb cards, 1 in each camera, back up camera has 2 2gb cards and I am ordering 2 more 8gb cards)........I also carry note cards designating where I am at in the scheme of things (pre ceremony.....ceremony....groups.....intimates....etc etc.....this is done if I get to shoot out of order early before ceremony....that I love.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Sto fen, easy to put on and remove, very durable, relatively cheap, small, and effective.

check out stofen.com and see.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    Bump to Ziggy and Nikolai. I use Sto Fen onmi bounce. They are gaffed to my sb-800s. They are so essential that I have 2 spares (inexpensive too)
    Nikolai wrote:
    What Ziggy said deal.gif
    Omnibounce is OK, if you know what you're doing.
    LS is a pure racket. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 8, 2008
    I use the Better Bounce card Ziggy discussed and find it worthwhile enough that I leave it on my flash permanently, just folding it back down when I don't need to use it.

I would suggest remembering that with a good reflector sheet - Impact folding reflector, white foam board, or a big white sheet, or a California Sunbounce relfector, you can bounce your flash off a surface out of doors for a nice window light source almost anywhere (but in bright direct sunlight). Most modern hot shoe flashes - SB-800 580ex etc - have enough oomph to bounce off a good sliver or white reflector out of doors in the shade as the primary light source. Just a thought.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    Hey guys, I'm also in the market for a new diffuser. I need something that works well outside, and inside with tall ceilings as well as in a perfect bounce situation. I was thinking of the lumiquest promax bounce diffuser system. http://www.adorama.com/LQPM.html To me this seems like a better bounce card concept with an advanced design that allows for the addition of a solid, angled top that will work outdoors and in tall rooms. I like the idea of the silver and gold inserts for sparkle, and outdoor/late-day color matching respectivly. The front difuser panel should also work well for closeups.

I shoot a 5d with a 580exII and typically shoot manual with ettl on the flash. I typically used a bracket that keeps the flash vertically alligned to the subject regardless of vert/horizontal camera position. I don't think this would work well with a bracket that sets the flash horizontal when shooting vertical... I hope that part makes sense!

Is this as cool as it seems? Seems like a real do-it all-kit.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2008
    I have 2 stofens for my 430EX's and I use the Fong on my 580EX.
    What I don't like about stofens is they'll drop me from f22 to f11 all settings and distances the same. Eats up a lot of light.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Laughing.gif...What I like about the stofens is that they don't drop the balance in my wallet by much. I saw someone today with some (probably expensive) piece of Tupperwareish device on their flash and shooting a sports event in a very well lighted event. A total waste IMHO.

Also remember the laws of light! Light falls off at the distance squared! I use the stofens all the time and rarely, but ocassionally, will trigger a full power flash. This is really rare for what I normally shoot.
    People do all sorts of crazy things with the StoFens. Cutting out the front and putting in gels; lining the perpendicular surfaces with foil...etc.

I'd suggest getting a StoFen for a few bucks and learning what it can do. Then BORROW some other diffusers and try them out and really compare the results.

If you spend +$100 on a diffuser, for a hot shoe mounted flash, you will probably like the additional placebo effect it provides to your pictures.

:-)

Cheers,
    David

evoryware wrote:
    I have 2 stofens for my 430EX's and I use the Fong on my 580EX.
    What I don't like about stofens is they'll drop me from f22 to f11 all settings and distances the same. Eats up a lot of light.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Laughing.gif...
    I'd suggest getting a StoFen for a few bucks and learning what it can do. Then BORROW some other diffusers and try them out and really compare the results.
    If you spend +$100 on a diffuser, for a hot shoe mounted flash, you will probably like the additional placebo effect it provides to your pictures.
    Laughing.gif indeed..lol3.gif
    +1 on all this!
    I love the placebo analogy! I have a WA "It's not the size..." which I think every diffuser junky simply must enter... and weep:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"