Options

Fill flash at the beach

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited June 25, 2007 in Technique
Fill flash at the beach with lots of sun.
Fill flash is, and I quote:
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]... flash can also be used in bright locations or in daylight to lighten shadows, reduce the harsh contrast of full sunlight or brighten up dull images without being the primary light source for the photo. This is called “fill flash” or “fill-in flash,” though the latter term’s more commonly used in the UK. And it’s often a source of surprise for non-photographers, who don’t expect to see photographers using flash units outdoors on sunny days in brightly lit settings. In such situations the fill flash is being used as a sort of portable reflector - shining a little extra light in certain areas." [/SIZE][/FONT]according to http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html#fillflash

Here I was shooting "around" this young man with my 350 D and the 16-35 lens trying to get a picture of him and the activity on the beach.

At the same time I wanted to show that this activity was in the Portuguese Kite-Surf 2007 Tour.

I wanted to get the action, the camera he was holding (my own) and his own back with all the words.
I shot some 15/20 pics in a row.

The flash (the 430 EX) was up there 50 meters away. Then I remembered: I can use the flash from the camera ! But of course.:wink

I took the lens-hood out and shot some pictures.

The camera was set at aperture priority which has allowed the camera to work in Fill-flash.

Care for a comment, please ?
166197023-M.jpg166197460-M.jpg
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 24, 2007
    Antonio, This is a great demonstration of the usefullness of fill flash, and why Canon puts that little built in flash on a 20D. The one limitation is that it does not support High Speed Synch, so you must pay attention and keep from needing a shutter speed faster than 1/200th.

That built in flash is one reason the 20D/30D etc are such great walk around cameras.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Oh yes. Thank you for the information.
    I did not know that. As a matter of fact I use preferentially - should I say often - the 430 DX.
    Here I used the flash from the camera because the other was too far away and I could not loose time to go and get it.

I suppose that I could have used the 430 DX with more advantages in this situation because the background is a little burned.
    Cheers.
    I love this photo here. Even with the round light thing I don't remember the name now.ne_nau.gif
    I thought this picture previously !
    To get this one I shot 8 or 10.

166192227-M.jpgiloveyou.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Nicely done. Some more information for me in my quest to "master" fill-flash! Thanks