Options

My First Wedding

PerflectionsPerflections Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited February 9, 2009 in Weddings
Hi All!

I did my first BIG wedding January 10th. The bride and groom loved their pics. I wanted to post a couple of my favorites.

#1 Wedding Party Dance
470300622_QRKC9-M.jpg

#2 Bride and Groom Dance
470300536_yGZrX-M.jpg

#3 JUMP
470306822_nysz3-M.jpg

#4 Sweet Bride
470306656_PDugV-M.jpg

#5 And where are you going
470309737_H3Mj9-M.jpg

#6 A Moment In Time
470310386_dqE6U-M.jpg

470308054_sBfeX-M.jpg

#8 A walk to remember
470308454_uhHP7-M.jpg

#9 Our Love
470309095_mnBdk-M.jpg

#10 Even on our wedding day...
470308458_xnvSA-M.jpg

CC Very welcome :dunno

To be honest, this was a BLAST! :barb I loved every moment of it!
~Jess Cleveland~
Perflections Photography
www.perflectionsphotography.com
Canon 40D
Canon EOS XTi

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Hi All!

I did my first BIG wedding January 10th. The bride and groom loved their pics. I wanted to post a couple of my favorites.

CC Very welcome ne_nau.gif

To be honest, this was a BLAST! wings.gif I loved every moment of it!
    I love that fourth one of the bride! Beautiful. I would however vignette it less. Her face is darkened a little too much by it, I think you should give the same glow / brightness to her face that you did with the center of the photo / boquet...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Well, it looks like you did a wonderful jog!!thumb.gif

Since you opened to the door to some C&C:
    1. Wedding Party Dance - this looks like a selective colorization photo. The only color I see is in the gowns of the bride's maids headscratch.gif and I don't think it works particularly well in this shot. My attention was immediately drawn to the one int front/left and the bride came in a distant second.
    2. Bride & Groom Dance - This is a fabulous shot - I love the spotlight effect. But, I do think the shot is a bit dark.
    3. Jump - Absolutely fun!
    4. Sweet Bride - Very nice composition but I have to wonder about the spotlight effect as it seems to draw attention away from the bride in favor of the flowers.headscratch.gif
    5. Another very fun shot though it doesn't look like she's trying very hard to get away!:D
    6. A Moment in Time - Very tender moment. I don't know if this is posed or you "just got the shot", but either way this is a winner.
    7. Interesting - but I have to wonder what's up with her right arm. And, his face is a bit dark, especially against the bright reflection in the window. This is a prime example of "watch your backgrounds" - otherwise this is a fine shot.
    8. A Walk to Remember - Her gown stands out nice, but everything else is lost in the background. I can barely make him out. Watch your backgrounds.
    9. Out Love - Nice. Couldn't get the rings to stand up on their own either? Been there!
    10. Another fun shot!
    In all, I think you did a fine job though I didn't take the time to go through any of the 69 pages of photos on your site.

What's most important is that your clients are happy/pleased with the results.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    6 is by far my favorite from this series, all the rest are underexposed and a bit blurry due to slow shutter speed.
    If you are going to shoot without flash you need to raise the iso and get some faster lenses.
    Most of these would have benefited from using your flash, you can increase the shutterspeed up to the sync speed and freeze the action.
    I realize there is a mix of flash and non flash shots.
    Some good ideas here and fun shots, VERY attractive couple.
    You are half way there, once you master the flash you will be off and running. For a first wedding these are ok.
    If they liked the shots then you can call your first attempt a success!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    Well, it looks like you did a wonderful jog!!thumb.gif

Since you opened to the door to some C&C:
    1. Wedding Party Dance - this looks like a selective colorization photo. The only color I see is in the gowns of the bride's maids headscratch.gif and I don't think it works particularly well in this shot. My attention was immediately drawn to the one int front/left and the bride came in a distant second.
    2. Bride & Groom Dance - This is a fabulous shot - I love the spotlight effect. But, I do think the shot is a bit dark.
    3. Jump - Absolutely fun!
    4. Sweet Bride - Very nice composition but I have to wonder about the spotlight effect as it seems to draw attention away from the bride in favor of the flowers.headscratch.gif
    5. Another very fun shot though it doesn't look like she's trying very hard to get away!:D
    6. A Moment in Time - Very tender moment. I don't know if this is posed or you "just got the shot", but either way this is a winner.
    7. Interesting - but I have to wonder what's up with her right arm. And, his face is a bit dark, especially against the bright reflection in the window. This is a prime example of "watch your backgrounds" - otherwise this is a fine shot.
    8. A Walk to Remember - Her gown stands out nice, but everything else is lost in the background. I can barely make him out. Watch your backgrounds.
    9. Out Love - Nice. Couldn't get the rings to stand up on their own either? Been there!
    10. Another fun shot!
    In all, I think you did a fine job though I didn't take the time to go through any of the 69 pages of photos on your site.

What's most important is that your clients are happy/pleased with the results.

#1 was her choice. I have the color. I don't particularly like it either.

#2 Yeah, it is dark and I had to retouch it.

#4 I am retouching this one and will repost it. You have a point. It does pull away from the bride.

#5 Laughing.gif, Yeah. I think he was a keeper for her iloveyou.gif

#6 We were getting the wedding party together for this shot, They were talking while we were directing everyone where to go. This was a candid shot. I loved this one.

#7 and #8. Thank you for that. I will definately pay attention to that. If you have any more pointers on the backgrounds, PLEASE, let me know.

#9 NO I couldn't. And I have practiced this shot, over and over and over, and was able to do. Couldn't do it on the spot though!

#10 Thank you!

Thank you Scot for all of your comments. If you have any advise, I am wide open to it! I am doing a shot that is simply for building up my portfolio and practice :D Can I get some advise from you all on that as well? I am not sure where to post it.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    6 is by far my favorite from this series, all the rest are underexposed and a bit blurry due to slow shutter speed.
    If you are going to shoot without flash you need to raise the iso and get some faster lenses.
    Most of these would have benefited from using your flash, you can increase the shutterspeed up to the sync speed and freeze the action.
    I realize there is a mix of flash and non flash shots.
    Some good ideas here and fun shots, VERY attractive couple.
    You are half way there, once you master the flash you will be off and running. For a first wedding these are ok.
    If they liked the shots then you can call your first attempt a success!

Thank you! I will definately be working on that and playing with my flash at different times of the day. I do need faster lenses as well. That is in the near future.
    ~Jess Cleveland~
    Perflections Photography
    Canon 40D
    Canon EOS XTi
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Thank you Scot for all of your comments. If you have any advise, I am wide open to it! I am doing a shot that is simply for building up my portfolio and practice :D Can I get some advise from you all on that as well? I am not sure where to post it.
    General advice - no, other than read my thoughts on shooting a wedding (see my siggy for the link) and/or look at the wedding resources sticky.

If you have specific questions - post them and let everyone take a poke at it.:D

As for the "shot" (I'm assuming you mean "shoot"), post it where it best fits. If it's an e-session (real or pretend, it would fit in here just fine). If it's just people with a theme that doesn't fit here or in the "Go Figure" area - take stab at it. If you make a mistake, the mods are good (and gentle) about moving it where it best fits.

And, when/if I see it, I'll be happy to give you my comments - FWIW:D
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    I have also done exactly one wedding - my sister's. :)

I agree that a few of the shots are really great! One thing that was more distracting to me than backgrounds and variations in lighting was the hair hanging over the bride's face. i know that is how she wanted her hair so there's only so much you can do about it, but it might be something to keep in mind for future weddings. there must be a way to pose/position her so that you can see more of her face, right? i'm not really sure how to handle something like that. she really is beautiful so it's a shame that her hair is hiding her.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!