Options

I'm looking to purchase a flash (need help)

Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Accessories
I have a Canon Rebel XT and I'd like to look into getting a flash. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend but would like to get a descent flash for little money as possible.

Any suggestions?
bassett1976.smugmug.com
www.fitmet.com

Comments

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    What about 550EX ?

I always prefer original stuff as possible.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    The Sigma 500 DG Super is a feature-loaded budget alternative to a Canon. I bought a 2nd hand one recently. Results are not bad, but there are the odd shots where the flash either doesn't throw enough light, or it throws out too much. Most shots are fine, but I would be reluctant to use it for any business use, e.g. weddings.

I've also just bought a Nikon SB-24 for use as an off-camera flash. - Hey, it's actually just arrived as I was typing! :D

There was a Canon 580EX II for sale here recently - went pretty quick though mwink.gif

There is a good lot of info at http://strobist.blogspot.com/ and http://jbrittphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I have the Sigma 500 Super DG, the 580 EX, and the 580EX II. When used within their capabilities, they produce the same results. The Sigma has slightly less power to offer when compared to the mentioned Canon flashes. The metering, etc seems to be exactly the same.

I used the Sigma for my first wedding. This shot shows what is possible to get with this flash (OK it's the pick of the litter, but most of the shots were actually pretty good).

218332562-M.jpg

Which flash do I prefer? While I would deem the Sigma perfectly capable and reliable for the high pressure work (at a wedding, it HAS to work the first time, every time), the Canon flashes win - hands down, mostly based on just two factors (1) HSS - the Canon flashes will stay in HSS even if the shutter speed falls below 1/250 whereas the Sigma will revert to "normal", (2) Ergonomics - tilt & swivel requires the pressing of two release buttons on the Sigma; the Canon requires only 1.

FWIW - I know Ziggy very often recommends the Sigma flash.
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Thank you Scott_Quier, Hyperbaric & z_28!

I'm going to look into the Sigma. I think the 550ex might be out of my price range. I might be able to get the Sigma though. Since this is a hobby and not a profession I'm not going to be working any weddings. This might be a great flash for family/friends and also for the Bassett baby coming in June.
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Sadly new Sigma cost about the same (depending on model) as used 550EX !
    So maybe used Sigma ? If you will be lucky to catch one in good condition.
    thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I just picked up a really old canon flash for free - my dad had it in his box of stuff from his A-1 days. Amazingly, it works on my wife's XT. I don't think it will automatically meter, but it at least goes flash and makes cool noises ;)

have fun!
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited December 28, 2007
    BikePilot wrote:
    I just picked up a really old canon flash for free - my dad had it in his box of stuff from his A-1 days. Amazingly, it works on my wife's XT. I don't think it will automatically meter, but it at least goes flash and makes cool noises ;)

have fun!

Be carefull with older flash units on modern digital cameras. You can fry the camera if you use an older flash with excessive trigger voltage.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2007
    Thanks I'll read up on it. I had no idea it could hurt the camera. Its a speedlight 199A.
    Josh

Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2007
    I just found my model on the link you provided, it says its safe [insert sigh of relief]:D

Thanks again!
    Josh

Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited December 28, 2007
    I have the Sigma 500 Super DG, the 580 EX, and the 580EX II. When used within their capabilities, they produce the same results. The Sigma has slightly less power to offer when compared to the mentioned Canon flashes. The metering, etc seems to be exactly the same.

I used the Sigma for my first wedding. This shot shows what is possible to get with this flash (OK it's the pick of the litter, but most of the shots were actually pretty good).

Which flash do I prefer? While I would deem the Sigma perfectly capable and reliable for the high pressure work (at a wedding, it HAS to work the first time, every time), the Canon flashes win - hands down, mostly based on just two factors (1) HSS - the Canon flashes will stay in HSS even if the shutter speed falls below 1/250 whereas the Sigma will revert to "normal", (2) Ergonomics - tilt & swivel requires the pressing of two release buttons on the Sigma; the Canon requires only 1.

FWIW - I know Ziggy very often recommends the Sigma flash.

15524779-Ti.gif

I use the Sigma EF 500 DG Super flashes for wedding work and they are very reliable and consistant. Scott is correct in that the Canon 580EX flashes are easier to use and I would rate them as more durable as well. The Canon units also support an external battery for much faster recycling.

A few examples with the Sigma flash:

233444706-L.jpg

151901242-L.jpg

143666541-L.jpg

110462759-L.jpg

96548387-L.jpg

116991247-L.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Well I highly recommend the Canon 430EX...its a great flash. Not quite as strong as a 580EX, and does not offer the master capabilities for wireless multi-flash, but unless you know you need a 580EX, you will find the 430EX perfect.

You can also find the 420EX around as well, and this one is great as well, just an older model. Since there is no LCD display on the back, it isnt as user friendly but it works just fine. I picked up a used 420EX for $100.
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Ziggy / Scott,

Any idea what might be going on with my Sigma unit when it sometimes pops it's full load and sometimes doesn't expose at all (yep, flash is charged)?

(set to ETTL on manual mode, batteries good)

Like I mentioned previously, most shots are A-OK, but the odd shot of the same scene will throw a wobbly. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Hyperbaric wrote:
    Ziggy / Scott,

Any idea what might be going on with my Sigma unit when it sometimes pops it's full load and sometimes doesn't expose at all (yep, flash is charged)?

(set to ETTL on manual mode, batteries good)

Like I mentioned previously, most shots are A-OK, but the odd shot of the same scene will throw a wobbly. ne_nau.gif
    My first thought would be to check to ensure that the flash is completely mounted on the hotshoe. All the pins have to be in contact for the two units to communicate. Also, if they are off just a bit, the trigger pin won't get the signal and you won't get the flash.

That's just the first thought that came to mind. I'm sure Ziggy will have other/better ideas to contribute. He's the man!
  • Options
    yoshiyoshi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2007
    If you can get the Canon 580EX II as it's a great flash
  • Options
    MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    I'm also looking to buy a flash for a Canon. I looked and played with several models and ultimately decided to go for the 580EX II. In my opinion it is far supior to the others I looked at although it's been hard to justify the cost.

I'm now waiting until I have the money totgether, probably the end of Jan.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 31, 2007
    If you don't need the pop of a 580, have a look at the 420/430EX. It's got a
    lower light output. One of the benefits (if you need it) is that you can slave
    it to the 580 (really a whole other conversation, slaves are).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?