Options

How to handle two camaras at once

AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in Accessories
I'm thinking of taking my girls to a butterfly house this weekend. No bags allowed. I'm thinking of taking my 50D & 70-200 2.8 and my 30D & 24-105. I really want to take my 100mm macro lens, but am worried I won't be able to get the shots of the girls without the 24-105 and the 70-200 gives me better zoom and setup. I also have a belt with a holster type camera case, but it won't be allowed unless I don't open it.

Anyways, I'm wondering how people manage having two cameras with them, do you sling one on your back while you use one? I have battery grips on both, should I remove them? I'm a big guy and the weight is not even an issue. I'm just wondering how you handle two cameras at a time physically???
Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    I hate to revive an old thread, but had a question.

I'm thinking of taking my girls to a butterfly house this weekend. No bags allowed. I'm thinking of taking my 50D & 70-200 2.8 and my 30D & 24-105. I really want to take my 100mm macro lens, but am worried I won't be able to get the shots of the girls without the 24-105 and the 70-200 gives me better zoom and setup. I also have a belt with a holster type camera case, but it won't be allowed unless I don't open it.

Anyways, I'm wondering how people manage having two cameras with them, do you sling one on your back while you use one? I have battery grips on both, should I remove them? I'm a big guy and the weight is not even an issue. I'm just wondering how you handle two cameras at a time physically???

Before i started using Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino Strap System on my cams i had 1around neck and the other across body.....

Now they both just hang in front at different set lengths so they do not bang against each other.......
    Too bad the time is so narrow or I would recommend you rent a 70-200 MACRO lens......they are not 1:1 as you 100mm is but then you would not have a need to carry the 100 and worry about how you were gong to change it...............

Also you should have started this thread in wildlife:D
    Mod Edit: I moved these two posts to the Accessories Forum since the OP was asking about how to handle two cameras at once.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    I use the Black Rapid RS DR-1 Double Strap. Works quite well.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009

holy crap! That looks awesome! I think I will pick one of those up!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    holy crap! That looks awesome! I think I will pick one of those up!
    I'm happy I was able to help.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    dang nabbit! I just spent my allowance this month at Adorama this morning! Okay, Black Rapid Straps is what I need! Guess I'm gunna get yelled at by the wife - I'm going shooting Wed and this is definately going with me!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    I just can't justify ~$130 for a strap........eek7.gifhuh
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
    edited August 21, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I just can't justify ~$130 for a strap........eek7.gifhuh

Maybe look at the OpTech dual strap:

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html?searchinfo=dual+camera+strap
    http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=87
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I've been considering this strap for a while but I really don't like the fact that it uses the strap lugs. Those straps have got to be in the way when you bring the camera up to shoot.

I made my own "rapid strap" a while back, and use a Black Rapid FastenR-2 to attach it to the camera, and I love the way the camera hangs. I wonder if I could successfully attach this system to the camera using the FastenR?
    Travis
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I just have my D300 around my neck with a long, springy neoprean strap. The D70 usually hangs off my shoulder. I sometimes, if I want to shoot slides too will have three cameras, and the film camera also goes around my neck.

No super special expensive straps required. Just the neck and shoulders of an ox.mwink.gif
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    I like that strap...
    ziggy53 wrote:

Thanks Ziggy,

I like that strap and am going to get one. Right now I use two different methods of carrying a pair of cameras; both of which have problems:

First method: The OPTECH Reporter Strap which hangs two cameras from one neck strap. This is pretty good about keeping the straps untangled but, the weight of a 30D and a 40D wearing a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens and a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens is pretty rough after a long day of walk-around shooting. However I can have my 270EX mounted on the 40D with 70-200mm lens.

Second Method: I hang my 30D with 17-55mm around my neck on a strap and have the 40D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens in a TAMRAC Zoom-19 Holster Case at my left hip. I use a round screw-in lens hood and an Optech Hood Hat in lieu of the OEM hood and lens cap. I use a hand strap on this camera and have a Velcro strip sewn across my left shoulder to keep the Holster Case strap in place. This divides the weight into two sections and I can get the camera in action very quickly. However, it is virtually impossible to carry the camera in this manner with a flash attached to the 40D and 70-200mm lens; even when I use the small 270EX which I will be using for fill flash in informal portraits.

The Dual OPTECH is new to me and I appreciate being made aware of it. It seems like a great idea!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    rpcrowe wrote:
    Second Method: I hang my 30D with 17-55mm around my neck on a strap and have the 40D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens in a TAMRAC Zoom-19 Holster Case at my left hip. I use a round screw-in lens hood and an Optech Hood Hat in lieu of the OEM hood and lens cap. I use a hand strap on this camera and have a Velcro strip sewn across my left shoulder to keep the Holster Case strap in place. This divides the weight into two sections and I can get the camera in action very quickly. However, it is virtually impossible to carry the camera in this manner with a flash attached to the 40D and 70-200mm lens; even when I use the small 270EX which I will be using for fill flash in informal portraits.

The Dual OPTECH is new to me and I appreciate being made aware of it. It seems like a great idea!

Yeah, I have an Off Trail 2 Holster case, but you are right, it's useless with an external flash. I bought a pair (actually 3) of the Black Rapid straps. I'd say it's too much for a strap, but when you pay $150 for a filter, the straps seem cheap. Heck, I paid $25 for my 11x17 mouse pad and I wouldn't live without it! But after slugging it out with my 50d and 30d this weekend at the park, I'm ready for something else.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Does anyone need an extra OPTECH Dual Harness???
    I feel really stupid! I purchased an Optech dual harness from an online retailer but didn't think that the order went through because my Internet connection crashed while I was ordering. I looked on my Paypal account several hours later and there was no evidence of the sale! I ordered a second one from Adorama the next day (at a better price too) and the Adorama sale immediately came up on my PayPal acount but, the sale at the original vendor was also there.

So, I have two harnesses coming. I will sell one on the Flea Market - but, I am offering my extra one at "best offer" here and now! It is the larger model and I paid $34.95 for it from Adorama.

Final thought. Having a pair of carbiner clips (like mountain climbers use) attched to my belt loops, at each hip, could prevent the cameras from swinging on the straps when I am moving quickly.
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Can't you just send one harness back?

Anyway, here's a guy who can handle and shoot two at once. Maybe he can give you some pointers? Looks like if you shoot enough, you'll get something worth taking home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4nfZu8VqgQ&feature=PlayList&p=760B18A6D645D192&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    Sports with multiple cameras...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMgZ13X_pr4
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,748 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Just spent the entire last saturday (8:30am till 07:00pm) on a baseball field with this Double Strap. On one side the 1DIII + 70-200 f2.8L IS, and on the other side the 5D + grip + 24-105L IS.

I'm still processing the pictures of a softball family tournament.

I was very surprised how easy it was to walk along with this all day long. The straps never disturbed or hurt me and the weight of the cameras was not getting a problem.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    GSPeP wrote:
    Just spent the entire last saturday (8:30am till 07:00pm) on a baseball field with this Double Strap. On one side the 1DIII + 70-200 f2.8L IS, and on the other side the 5D + grip + 24-105L IS.

I'm still processing the pictures of a softball family tournament.

I was very surprised how easy it was to walk along with this all day long. The straps never disturbed or hurt me and the weight of the cameras was not getting a problem.

I would have to agree, I walked around Wed for a photo class with two RS-4's with their coupler. I'm a big guy and the cameras hang fine in that configuration, but in single strap mode, I'll have to get something to extend the hang down length another 3 or so inches. Oh, I walked around with a 50D 70-200 f2.8L IS USM + grip and 30D 24-105L + grip.

I love my Black Rapid straps, VERY cool!