Options

Tutorial: Blending RAW Exposures

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 2, 2009 in Finishing School
There's a new tutorial in our How To section on blending RAW Exposures, here.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Nice job, David!
  • Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Tutorial
    Hey thats just what I needed, thanks!
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Very nice!

When I worked this up, I was going for dark, ominous skies, brighter towers, and darker greens. I didn't want the greens to be distracting or unnatural. But your work looks pretty good. I still like darker skies, though. lol3.gif

I've never used the masking technique you describe, I'll try it this weekend. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    Something's fubar'd in the link at the end of the review. For some reason it's taking me to the dgrin front page, not this thead. ne_nau.gif Oddly, last night it worked fine. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Something's fubar'd in the link at the end of the review. For some reason it's taking me to the dgrin front page, not this thead. ne_nau.gif Oddly, last night it worked fine. headscratch.gif

That is odd, but now fixed! thumb.gif

Thanks for the heads up, Sid.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Help -- I can be a little dense at times...
    How do you get that select the highlights key command to work in OSX 4.8 (Tiger) and CS2? Is there a long way thru the menu to "select highlights" or am I just not reading correctly.

It is command, option, lower case key above the tab? `?
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    How do you get that select the highlights key command to work in OSX 4.8 (Tiger) and CS2? Is there a long way thru the menu to "select highlights" or am I just not reading correctly.

It is command, option, lower case key above the tab? `?

Yeah, but you gotta check your OSX keyboard prefs for shortcuts, sometimes they conflict with PS, especially the Universal Access ones.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    Thanks for that thumb.gif Just modded it to work with PSP9.
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    Attn DavidTO - Blending RAW exposures
    I have been trying to follow DavidTO's tutorial on blending RAW exposures.

I get along fine until I get to the step where he says: Now, copy the bottom (darker layer) on top of the second layer. Select the highlights of the second layer (cmd-opt-~ on the Mac, ctl-alt-~ on the PC), then select the top layer, and Apply Vector Mask again. This time you can leave it as it is (no need to invert).

I'm not sure how to do this. When I select the bottom layer, click "copy" from the edit menu, then select the top layer and click "paste", followed by layer mask, the layers palette doesn't look at all like he shows in the example (see below). What did I do wrong?

137423776-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Bump.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    jthomas wrote:
    I have been trying to follow DavidTO's tutorial on blending RAW exposures.

At the end of our tutes, there's a handy link to the discussion threads. Best to post your questions there, rather than starting a new thread.

I've moved it for you.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Hmmm. Looks like that section might need a re-write.

I'm not in front of PS right now, but I believe what you need to do is to drag the darker layer down onto the duplicate layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette, and then drag it up to be the top layer. Does that make sense? You don't want to actually copy/paste it, but rather make a copy, or I should say duplicate.

Please let me know if that helps. I can't dig in to the tute (which I wrote quite a while ago) and PS to work on it. But I'll make sure that you get fixed up, and also I'll re-word the tute so that others don't fall into the same trap! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Thanks, David. I'll give it a go in a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    At the end of our tutes, there's a handy link to the discussion threads. Best to post your questions there, rather than starting a new thread.

I've moved it for you.

Thanks, Andy. I hadn't seen that, despite looking for a way to post at the end of David's tutorial.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    This tut works really well! Here's a thread I posted in Nature & Wildlife with pics using this technique.
  • Options
    dtemplemsdtemplems Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 25, 2009
    Printing tutorials
    I would really like to print out the turorials rather than memorizing them but there doesn't seem to be any way of doing it other than using something like PrintKey 2000 which leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    Selecting highlights
    In order to select the highlights, the tut mentions the key combination Command-Option-Tilde. However, on my keyboard this does not work (tilde key is positioned next tot the shift key). I have to use Command-Option-1 (the 1 key above the Qwerty keys, not on the numerical keypad).
    On my new Macbook Pro, this does not work also, seems I have to use command-option-2 to 5.
    On both machines, I neverfiddled with Photoshop shortcut keys, never remapped anything in the Macs keyboard settings.

I tried finding "command-option-tilde" or command-option-1 to 5" in the Photoshop shortcuts panel, but never found 'em. Searched for "select highlights" in the online help, didn't find anything.

Can somebody help me, please?
  • Options
    EverythingEverywhereEverythingEverywhere Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2009
    This is bookmarked. I can't tell you how useful this is.
    2014 Travel Photographer of the Year, Society of American Travel Writers
    2013 & 2015 Travel Photographer of the Year, North American Travel Journalists Association

Facebook | Travel Blog | Travel Photography | Instagram | Google+
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2009
    Zeus1 wrote:
    In order to select the highlights, the tut mentions the key combination Command-Option-Tilde. However, on my keyboard this does not work (tilde key is positioned next tot the shift key). I have to use Command-Option-1 (the 1 key above the Qwerty keys, not on the numerical keypad).
    On my new Macbook Pro, this does not work also, seems I have to use command-option-2 to 5.
    On both machines, I neverfiddled with Photoshop shortcut keys, never remapped anything in the Macs keyboard settings.

I tried finding "command-option-tilde" or command-option-1 to 5" in the Photoshop shortcuts panel, but never found 'em. Searched for "select highlights" in the online help, didn't find anything.

Can somebody help me, please?

I'm not exactly clear on what all you're saying, and I wrote this tute so long ago, I'm going to have trouble recalling some of these details, BUT: I believe that there is a Mac keyboard command that conflicts, and that you have to turn off. Check through them and see if any are assigned to cmd-opt-tilde. Here's an article about it.

Also, if you're on CS4 I believe that they moved some of these around in order to avoid the conflicts that were showing up with commands on the Mac.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2009
    TXS!!!
    You were right, there is a shortcut hidden in the Universal Access keys shortcuts that interferes with PS. It's called "[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Move Focus To Window Drawer". De-activating it makes the use of Command-Option-Tilde possible to select the highlights. And this with PS CS3 under OSC10.5.6.
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Cool.... BTW, is there some way to automate the creation of +2/-2 exp files from a single RAW in Photoshop LR2 or PSElements 7?

If there are several pics that you want to try this with that would 'jump start' the process a lot.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    bobcombobcom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2009
    Hi David,

Thanks for this tutorial, been trying it but my Italian keyboard hasn't got a (well, it isn't there headscratch.gif).
    However, this guy has some great tutorials on how to make highlight and shadow masks using alfa channels, and it works. The one thing I didn't get in your tutorial is what masks you attached to what layers, and in what order your layers-plus-masks finally appeared.

Is it darklayer-highlightsfromdarklayer on top, lightlayer-inversehighlightsfromdarklayer on the bottom, or did I completely goof it up ne_nau.gif?
  • Options
    bobcom wrote:
    Hi David,

Thanks for this tutorial, been trying it but my Italian keyboard hasn't got a (well, it isn't there headscratch.gif).
    However, this guy has some great tutorials on how to make highlight and shadow masks using alfa channels, and it works. The one thing I didn't get in your tutorial is what masks you attached to what layers, and in what order your layers-plus-masks finally appeared.

Is it darklayer-highlightsfromdarklayer on top, lightlayer-inversehighlightsfromdarklayer on the bottom, or did I completely goof it up ne_nau.gif?

[imgl]http://dgrin.smugmug.com/photos/93719502_ceKgf-L.jpg[/imgl]As you can see here, I've got the darker image on top revealing the highlights, and the lighter image on the bottom reveling the shadows.

Clear? lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bobcombobcom Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    You have light(en)ed my path towards a better understanding of light and shadow bowdown.gif.

Thank youthumb.gif!
  • Options
    AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    BUMP!!
    For a GREAT tutorial.......Thank you!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2009
    I've just finished writing a version for use with Paintshop Pro. Thanks again David!