Options

New Features, June 21st 2008

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 29, 2008 in SmugMug Support
EDIT: Release Notes Updated!

1) When logged in, you will see the "save photo" icon on your photobar now - it's a brand new feature, for gallery owners (you!) only - your visitors won't see this option. To validate, use Visitor View, or log out of SmugMug, and have a look. For a long time, our customers have been asking to have the ability to save an photo while logged in, even though they've got that size blocked for customers and visitors, and so we made it happen. More will be coming shortly in our release notes, here: http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

2) Oh and we also cleaned up the photobar a bit, by removing all the size choices from it. Click on the main photo, get to lightbox - we'll automatically fill the browser window with the largest possible image without causing any scrolling.... and if you want another size after that, the sizes are at the top of that screen :thumb Example.

More to come :thumb

Oh and we will have more release notes, soon, as well :deal
http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

Comments

• Options
    ZerOneZerOne Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2008
    Size options icon empty
    Since yesterday's changes, there is an issue with the icon that used to allow you to select different sizes when you roll over the image. If you are logged in, it shows 'Save Photo', but if you are not logged in, it appears as a blank icon containing no options. Surely the default behaviour should be to allow the user to select the various sizes as used to be the case before yesterday?
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    ZerOne wrote:
    Since yesterday's changes, there is an issue with the icon that used to allow you to select different sizes when you roll over the image. If you are logged in, it shows 'Save Photo', but if you are not logged in, it appears as a blank icon containing no options. Surely the default behaviour should be to allow the user to select the various sizes as used to be the case before yesterday?
    Yeah we're looking into that.. thanks. I expect we'll have it sorted soon, sorry about that! I've updated the first post here.
  • Options
    imajicaimajica Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Is there a way to set the view photo sizes back when you roll your mouse over the photo. at least have an option to set it on or off depending on the preference of the person. I personally liked it, now I have to do 2 clicks to see the photo at full size or whatever size i want instead of doing it once from the main screen
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

KNOWN ISSUES/BUGS (we will be fixing them ASAP, sorry!)

* if you have camera info off, photorank off, and block originals, you'll see an empty photo bar (only in Visitor View or when logged out as a Visitor).

* Filenames aren't showing up properly in the bulk tools (like move photos, color effects, delete photos, etc... we fixed it but it's not fully live for you yet - it will be!

These are fixed and live thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    imajica wrote:
    Is there a way to set the view photo sizes back when you roll your mouse over the photo. at least have an option to set it on or off depending on the preference of the person. I personally liked it, now I have to do 2 clicks to see the photo at full size or whatever size i want instead of doing it once from the main screen
    I'm sorry there isn't :( The first click makes it automatic, so it fills your window..... with no scrolling. Then if you want larger, you can always click more.
    We're pretty sure that the simpler is better...and we think your viewers will think so, too.

Let's see how it works out, thanks!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Awesome job on cleaning UI! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    imajica wrote:

Ditto this request.
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    imajica wrote:

Double Ditto!

If I understand this change correctly, and I hope I don't, one of the best features of SmugMug has been defeated. To make sure I understand it correctly... When looking at a photo album in the SmugMug style, we can no longer have the thumbs on the left and the images on the right, and be able to vary the size of the displayed image on the right. Is this correct? You click on the photo to get to the size option, and you lose access to the thumbnails and the versatility of being able to click around through the images via the thumbnails since your screen is now filled with the big screen with the itty bitty buttons up top. While this big screen guy is functional when needed, it's not exactly aesthetically pleasing - I feel like I'm dropping to DOS from Windows.

I really hope you tell me I'm wrong because almost everyone I've conviced to use SmugMug - friends, family and co-workers, that was the part of the design they like the best. Simple, easy, and attractive.

Please tell me what I'm missing. Thanks for you help.
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    adadx6adadx6 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2008
    Expert Photo Arrange
    Thank you for reactivating the expert photo arrange option! It took me hours to figure out how I wanted to rearrange my gallery and with this great feature, just a few minutes to actually do the work. Great job on all of the changes....keep up the good work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

2) Oh and we also cleaned up the photobar a bit, by removing all the size choices from it.

Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK

Gimmie my choices back. PLEASE!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Brody wrote:
    When looking at a photo album in the SmugMug style, we can no longer have the thumbs on the left and the images on the right, and be able to vary the size of the displayed image on the right. Is this correct?
    Not correct. The sizes are all still there :) Just click the main photo. Now, you've got a larger photo filling your browser window. Want bigger even? Go for it - XL, X2, X3, O sizes are at the top. Try it, here:

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131487110_FdKeW
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK

Hi Scott, can you tell us how you used these? What did you like about having those size choices there? ear.gif Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:

2) Oh and we also cleaned up the photobar a bit, by removing all the size choices from it.

Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK

Edit: This causes more clicks for me, not less! Now I have to click on the picture, let it fill the page, then I have to find the bar at the top of the screen with the sizes and click again. Before it was hover, click, done. Simple, clean, and quick.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Yuck, yuck, yuck, YUCK

Edit: This causes more clicks for me, not less! Now I have to click on the picture, let it fill the page, then I have to find the bar at the top of the screen with the sizes and click again. Before it was hover, click, done. Simple, clean, and quick.
    So did you routinely click for a size that was either larger, or smaller, than you browser window? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Scott, can you tell us how you used these? What did you like about having those size choices there? ear.gif Thanks!

You caught me in mid-edit :)

I have some galleries (I admit not many) with photo-samples that I gave instructions to just hover and click on "original" to see the original sizes without having to force people to download (ie:save) the images.

I also have a gallery set up to store images I use in a couple of photo forums I participate in. I'd click on the size I wanted to show on the forum and copy the URL. I realize I can change the URL's -M, -L, -XL, etc...but it was simple and easy. Now I have multiple steps to go through.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    So did you routinely click for a size that was either larger, or smaller, than you browser window? ear.gif

Every day
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy...

Idea: Re-implement the different sizes but offer a way to toggle the feature on/off (default off) like the "camera info" feature is. I realize there's some discussion about "feature bloat", but this kind of customization is why a lot of us are on Smugmug in the first place :D

Here's an example of a page I have set up where the option to just quickly click on a bigger size (whether it fit the screen or not) was nice: http://aerialphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/5023688_qbUDX

It used to be simple to bring up a full-size image (hover, click, done), the viewer now has to click, wait for the image to load, then find the sizes at the top of the screen, click again, wait, then view. Simple? Less clicks? Nope, and nope.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal I suppose, but it illustrates my point.
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    So far, so good but how do people know they can click the photo to enlarge it? From my experience almost nobody knows that a click will enlarge the image... Also, most people I consulted even don't hover over the photo with their mouse... I wonder if a message 'click to enlarge' would make sense.

Luc
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    So far, so good but how do people know they can click the photo to enlarge it? From my experience almost nobody knows that a click will enlarge the image... Also, most people I consulted even don't hover over the photo with their mouse... I wonder if a message 'click to enlarge' would make sense.

Luc

I agree, this would be nice. Not sure where the right place to put it would be, but anyway...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Save photo only when logged in, I hope?
    I have been away from my gallery for a while... busy with "other things" and came back to notice today that when I'm logged in, there is now an option for me to save an image in Full res. Can you tell me for certain this is ONLY an option that appears for me while I'm logged in. It appears to be the case but, I want to make sure.

360photostock.com

Thank you,
    Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Well, not to ruffle anyones feathers but why basically shove this change (removing the sizes available) down everyones throat?

Personally I liked the way I had it. If I didn't want to have the ability for people to easily see larger sizes, I would have removed it already.

NOW, I can't have it at all!?!

*I* have been asking for ever now to get recent photos gallery to show newest photos first, how about that? I asked 2 weeks ago if there where any changes and I didnt get any response and after 3-4 days I figured the heck with it, obviously no one wants to bother answering me so I gave up - then some one else asks a day later and within an hour gets a reply.

By taking away the drop down allowing a viewer (even me) to ability to easily see larger sizes your telling my viewers what they can or cant do. Basically you've now just added an extra step to my visitors - and me. I'm constantly checking out my photos, but now and added time wasting step has been added.

I dont even get any say on what goes on with my site? I had it the way I wanted it, and you guys made unwanted changes.

I want mine changed back. Allow me to make the decision as to what size of my photos are viewable and how.

Derek

Pro account customer.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    See here, i think this is what your asking:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97390
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    DJKennedy wrote:

*I* have been asking for ever now to get recent photos gallery to show newest photos first, how about that? I asked 2 weeks ago if there where any changes and I didnt get any response and after 3-4 days I figured the heck with it, obviously no one wants to bother answering me so I gave up - then some one else asks a day later and within an hour gets a reply.
    We read all posts, and reply to some but sometimes it's not possible to reply to every single posting. Don't ever give up please - we want to know how you feel!
  • Options
    edmaineedmaine Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    EDIT: Release Notes Updated!

1) When logged in, you will see the "save photo" icon on your photobar now - it's a brand new feature, for gallery owners (you!) only - your visitors won't see this option. To validate, use Visitor View, or log out of SmugMug, and have a look.

save photo is still an option even though im not not log in anymore.

5200250_7ZJrS#317166043_Zxdn5-A-LB
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    save photo is still an option even though im not not log in anymore.

5200250_7ZJrS#317166043_Zxdn5
    Hi, can you show us the gallery where this is happening? Be sure you are fully logged out. Keep in mind, save photo will show, if you have "Original" enabled as the largest size in your gallery customizing screen.
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Yes, thank you
    Thank you, that's exactly what I was talking about :-)
    I'm playing catch-up now since being distracted away from dgrin for a little while.
    family guy wrote:
    See here, i think this is what your asking:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97390
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, can you show us the gallery where this is happening? Be sure you are fully logged out.

dont know what im doing wrong, but i was trying to post a screen capture, but for some reason its not showing up.

at any rate, here is the screen capture:
    http://edmaine.smugmug.com/gallery/5200250_7ZJrS#317166043_Zxdn5-A-LB

you can clearly see the "login" button on top, yet you can see the "save photo" as an option...

and i did try it and was able to download the photo.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    dont know what im doing wrong, but i was trying to post a screen capture, but for some reason its not showing up.

at any rate, here is the screen capture:
    http://edmaine.smugmug.com/gallery/5200250_7ZJrS#317166043_Zxdn5-A-LB

you can clearly see the "login" button on top, yet you can see the "save photo" as an option...

and i did try it and was able to download the photo.
    Ed, it's because you have Originals enabled for anyone, in that gallery. Logged in o rlogged out.

20080621-cpecyfhjnhk2djhjmstduikpx9.jpg

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Andy, i did try it on both FF3 and IE7, same thing, even though I am logout, still showing the "save photo" option.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    edmaine wrote:
    Andy, i did try it on both FF3 and IE7, same thing, even though I am logout, still showing the "save photo" option.
    Ed...please see the post just above. Thank you.