Options

File Names Keywords Bug ?

voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I got this in a response to some SEARCH questions I sent to SmugMug support.
"The next photo in the gallery doesn't show up, because Andy's not in the
caption, but in the filename:

It didn't get added to the keywords, because there's currently a bug.
Filenames aren't currently added as keywords. Our engineers are aware of
this and are looking into fixing this. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Anybody Know anything about this. For how long has there been this bug ?
I'm still confused about what serch loks for or can find.
Was told once that it looks for : Captions, Keywords, AND file names.
My search has never been able to find a file name.
I title my photos with my photo program (FastStone Image Viewer) before uploading. Still have to go in and caption each one if I want SEARCH to find them.
Maybe my PHOTO PROGRAM isn't using the right code or protocol.
Still, that's a lot of pics I wish I had some code that would push the filenames over into captions or keywords.
There seems to be some thing where SmugMug Keyword search does somehthing... finds three letter words ? Can't remember or follow what.
Picture I'm slowly getting : You title your photos - hopefully using the correct protocol.
Upload.
The Filenames are supposed to get added to the keywords of each photo automaticly.
SEARCH FUNCTION searches file names AND keywords AND captions. ( mine doesn't : just captions AND keywords. No file names - never did or at least for MANY months.
Search can't find words less than 4 letters.
Keyword search can find words less than 4 letters but not less than three.
Putting search term or name of less than four letters forces search to find it. IE: search can't find MAX but can find it if max is in qoutes "MAX."
SMUGMUG ( Sebastian) tells me that there is ( or has been ) a " bug " such that file names are not being added to keywords.
"The next photo in the gallery doesn't show up, because Andy's not in the
caption, but in the filename:

It didn't get added to the keywords, because there's currently a bug.
Filenames aren't currently added as keywords. Our engineers are aware of
this and are looking into fixing this. My apologies for the inconvenience. "
But I thought that SEARCH also looked for file names any way ?
There are some customizing codes floating around the forums and this http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq.mg LOOK AT # 8 .
WELL, you see my confusion.

Any thoughts,

Marty ( voicelit, photofur, http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Words in filenames used to become keywords. The filenames were never directly searchable. I prefer it with the bug that prevents the automatic keywording, because I always just deleted the keywords generated from filenames. I don't spend the time to give my pictures custom file names, so I always get a lot of nonsense that I don't want keyworded. I keyword all my pictures anyway, so it's no big deal to add one in that the automatic keywording would have put there.

I just did some testing. You can use one or two character keywords by surrounding them with quotes and they work fine. With less than 3 characters, they won't show up without quotes.

I would LOVE if we could search by filename. I have a pretty good file naming scheme now that makes it easier for me to figure out what gallery a file will be found in, but sometimes I'll end up with filenames like "IMG 963.jpg." No way to know where on my smugmug site that file is.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Thanks , DAVE
    At least , we might be getting somewhere. Someone at SmugMug told me it was " bug, " that engineers were working on it. Maybe yo're right : that it's an intentional protacol ? I'd prefer the file names becoming keywords, but -maybe that's just me. It's just the time wasted trying to nail down the actual situation.
    Still, it would be nice to let that be a preference that one could select. Seems like some "code" should be able to do something like that pretty easy, but that's not my field.
    Also saw somewhere in the forums that there's a particular code, language that the filenames have to be written in or they don't become keywords. Seems to depend on your photo program. Maybe since my file names display ( although are not findable ) that means my photo program's language / code / protacol is fine. Who knows.
    I think of the end of the Film " CHINATOWN " when they're telling NICHOLSON : " Back away , Jake, it's chinatown... just get outta here, Jake, it's chinatown...."

MARTY (voicelit, photofur, http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )

pilotdave wrote:
    Words in filenames used to become keywords. The filenames were never directly searchable. I prefer it with the bug that prevents the automatic keywording, because I always just deleted the keywords generated from filenames. I don't spend the time to give my pictures custom file names, so I always get a lot of nonsense that I don't want keyworded. I keyword all my pictures anyway, so it's no big deal to add one in that the automatic keywording would have put there.

I just did some testing. You can use one or two character keywords by surrounding them with quotes and they work fine. With less than 3 characters, they won't show up without quotes.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    At least , we might be getting somewhere. Someone at SmugMug told me it was " bug, " that engineers were working on it. Maybe yo're right : that it's an intentional protacol ?

Also saw somewhere in the forums that there's a particular code, language that the filenames have to be written in or they don't become keywords. Seems to depend on your photo program.

Well, it's definitely a bug because they said it is. Nobody likes bugs, so the last thing they'd do is report it as a bug if it was intentional.

Filenames don't depend on what software you use. They are what they are when you upload to smugmug. If they have words in them, the words should become keywords. If you separate the words in the filenames with spaces, underscores, dashes, etc, the keywords will be separate. So if a file is named miamibeach.jpg, you'll get a keyword "miamibeach." But if you name it miami_beach.jpg, you'll get two keywords, "miami" and "beach."

Keywording is quick and easy with the bulk keywording tool (or better yet with software on your computer). If you have 100 files to upload, it really doesn't make sense to give each one a custom filename. Just keyword them either before or after uploading. Then the filenames don't matter at all. Personally I just name my files by date when I download them in bulk from my memory cards. If I need to find a file on my hard drive that I see on my smugmug site, I can instantly know what folder it's in.... the one with the same date as the filename.

Dave
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    [snip]

Anybody Know anything about this. For how long has there been this bug ?

[snip]

The Filenames are supposed to get added to the keywords of each photo automaticly.

[snip]

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76328

I don't think it's a bug, it's intentional.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    BigAl wrote:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76328

I don't think it's a bug, it's intentional.
    Al, you're not correct, it *is* a bug, and it's logged in our system. I'm sorry it is still lingering.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry it is still lingering.

Take your time on this one. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Will It Function Retro-actively
    ANDY,

Will any fix ffunction retroactively ? Or will I have to go in and keyword and/or caption each photo since this bug individually ?
    Wish I knew how long there's been this bug.
    Wish it could be an option so that Pilot Dave & I could both be happy.

Thanks again,

Marty ( http://photofur.smugmug.com/)

pilotdave wrote:
    Take your time on this one. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    Not to answer for andy, but it couldn't possibly be retroactive. That would take a ton of processing power (they'd have to scan through eleventy billion filenames and extract keywords) and it would generate tons of unwanted keywords unexpectedly. I'm sure when they fix it, it will only create the keywords as new files are uploaded, just as it used to.

I would love if they made it optional though!

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2008
    Thank, Pilot. BUT
    Such rightness. At least you're helping to give me a sense of what's reasonable and what's a big deal.
    I still think there must be a way that some code could at least let an individual tell his own site to go back and add any of their own file names to their own keywords. I just hate the idea that there MIGHT be a simple fix but no one's telling me or no one knows. If it's really a huge coding task than fine I don't expect someone to go out of their way to help me with it - but at least make it clear how big a coding type situation it is.
    I just get this sense that there must be a simple work around I'm not thinking of... Maybe some software downloads whole catagoies with all the embeddied info , then ( supposing this software has the special tag language I've read about here that keywords and all that) you convert all file names to that language, then upload the whole thing back up to SmugMug.
    Might be a java script floating around out there already that's just right for this " add file names on my site to my keywords " task, but how to find it. I still can't get any sense of what SmugBrowser does other than upload.
    Get the sense there's way more to this file name , keyword , searchable thing than people are aware of. I know there's some privacy weirdness going on...
    Maybe I gotta migrate to somewhere else... this just doesn't seem like it should be such a big deal. I could see if like some people I wanted to access my sales from a cellphone and have people play video games against each other's photos while monitoring market trends, but this is just "find files named woof woof ." I photograph the dogs at our local dogpark every day , edit a bit, name ( 'cause I keep local files for workin on) , upload. People, kids just wanna check out their dogs . Just put your dog's name in the search and all the photos over months will come up - that would be best. But ... they gotta remember what date there dog was there , dog's name has to be less more than three letters or they should add qoutes, I name dogs like MAX maxx in keywords and tell them to double last letters... these are dogpark people, they're already pretty loopy - most still can't find the photos.
    Oh well... OBAMA said he's gonna CHANGE all this too. I can wait.

Any thanks again , PILOTDAVE,

Marty (http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )
    pilotdave wrote:
    Not to answer for andy, but it couldn't possibly be retroactive. That would take a ton of processing power (they'd have to scan through eleventy billion filenames and extract keywords) and it would generate tons of unwanted keywords unexpectedly. I'm sure when they fix it, it will only create the keywords as new files are uploaded, just as it used to.

I would love if they made it optional though!

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2008
    Iptc Might Be Involved, Cue Music
    Seems that IPTC (some standard whatever. check iptc wikipedia) might have something to do with all this filename, keyword, searchable silliness. I tried one of the photo editor viewer things that support writing IPTC , IRFAN. There are lists around, maybe even somewhere in the forums here, PICASA, XNVIEW, IRFAN , many more, I was / am looking for one that does image fixing / editing / etc AND writes to IPTC . In IRFAN, you select "properties " under "image" , it brings up all your camera, date, settings , etc ANMD there's a bottom down bottom left for IPTC. You click the button, up pops the IPTC type stuff... fill in the fields : captions, keywords . Close, save as, upload and all... presto : SmugMUG finds my file / photo without me going in and manually adding captions and keywords.
    Have no idea if, when SmugMug tells me there's been a "bug" and my filenames aren't getting added to my keywords, that has anything to do with IPTC or not. What I mean is : I don't know if any kind of filename was / is supposed to get added to keywords, or if they meant : we assume you are using iptc type of software - but that has a bug lately ?
    Now, I'm trying to find an image editor that writes IPTC ... ANNND.... that I can somehow set to that along with naming my photo in the "SAVE AS" moment. At the moment, I'm not sure I'm not opening and closing as many dialogue boxes and typing in words as I would just doing it in SmugMug's "Bulk Change Captions, Keywords."
    Anybody know of an IPTC, photo editor type-a-thing that can streamline the operation ? I mean : I'm wondering about "THE GIMP " (free) for photo manipulation ANNND a separate program to go all IPTC - 'cause it doesn't seem like GIMP can write to IPTC. But that all seems like so many steps. One program, touch up the photo, click SAVE AS, and have what I'm naming the file somehow be going IPTC.

Thanks for various things ( and .. oh yeah : stuff )

Marty ( http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )

voicelit wrote:
    Such rightness. At least you're helping to give me a sense of what's reasonable and what's a big deal.
    I still think there must be a way that some code could at least let an individual tell his own site to go back and add any of their own file names to their own keywords. I just hate the idea that there MIGHT be a simple fix but no one's telling me or no one knows. If it's really a huge coding task than fine I don't expect someone to go out of their way to help me with it - but at least make it clear how big a coding type situation it is.
    I just get this sense that there must be a simple work around I'm not thinking of... Maybe some software downloads whole catagoies with all the embeddied info , then ( supposing this software has the special tag language I've read about here that keywords and all that) you convert all file names to that language, then upload the whole thing back up to SmugMug.
    Might be a java script floating around out there already that's just right for this " add file names on my site to my keywords " task, but how to find it. I still can't get any sense of what SmugBrowser does other than upload.
    Get the sense there's way more to this file name , keyword , searchable thing than people are aware of. I know there's some privacy weirdness going on...
    Maybe I gotta migrate to somewhere else... this just doesn't seem like it should be such a big deal. I could see if like some people I wanted to access my sales from a cellphone and have people play video games against each other's photos while monitoring market trends, but this is just "find files named woof woof ." I photograph the dogs at our local dogpark every day , edit a bit, name ( 'cause I keep local files for workin on) , upload. People, kids just wanna check out their dogs . Just put your dog's name in the search and all the photos over months will come up - that would be best. But ... they gotta remember what date there dog was there , dog's name has to be less more than three letters or they should add qoutes, I name dogs like MAX maxx in keywords and tell them to double last letters... these are dogpark people, they're already pretty loopy - most still can't find the photos.
    Oh well... OBAMA said he's gonna CHANGE all this too. I can wait.

Any thanks again , PILOTDAVE,

Marty (http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    Have no idea if, when SmugMug tells me there's been a "bug" and my filenames aren't getting added to my keywords, that has anything to do with IPTC or not.
    If you have a filename fotufur.jpg we make a keyword out of the word fotofur.
    We're not doing that presently, and so that's a bug.

If you have your keywords in the iptc keyword field, we are making keywords out of those :)
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    My honest suggestion for you is to consider changing your process. I think you're wasting time giving your images custom filenames when you could spend less time giving them keywords. I think you'll find that keywords are far more useful. I use Google's Picasa (free software) to manage my pictures. To keyword all the pictures of Max, just highlight them all and hit CTRL+K. That will bring up the keyword window. You can add all the keywords you want in bulk. So maybe keyword it dog, max, pug, puppy...etc. Better yet, highlight ALL the pictures and keyword them all "dog" at the same time. Then go back through and keyword the names of all the dogs.

Those keywords are not just in Picasa (or whatever software you use). They get embedded into the jpeg files themselves, along with captions which you can add in Picasa as well. When you upload them to SmugMug, the keywords and captions come along for the ride. And the best part of doing it in your own software is that you can now search (with picasa or whatever) for the keywords you're looking for. It works MUCH better than your computer's file search. Much faster and more accurate.

So before you knock SmugMug for not doing what you want, consider that what you want might not be the best solution. Don't overcomplicate things. Choose some software that can keyword in bulk (such as Picasa or Lightroom) and get to it. I almost guarantee it'll save you time in the long run, and make things a lot easier on you.

Personally though, I almost always do my keywording and captions using Smugmug's bulk caption/keyword tool. I find it quick and easy. When I need to find an image on my computer, I generally use smugmug to do my searching and find the filename of the image I want. Then I'll know where on my computer I'll be able to find the file (because my filenames are by date, as are my directories). Really not the best way to do it, but it's what I've gotten used to.

Dave
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    If you have a filename fotufur.jpg we make a keyword out of the word fotofur.
    We're not doing that presently, and so that's a bug.

When this "bug" is "fixed" can we at least get a checkbox so that the current behavior is preserved? I used to hate it when my keywords were crapflooded by parsing my filename convention.

-r
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    renstar wrote:
    When this "bug" is "fixed" can we at least get a checkbox so that the current behavior is preserved? I used to hate it when my keywords were crapflooded by parsing my filename convention.

-r
    Hi renstar, I'm sorry I can't promise that :( I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    Thanks, Andy, Thanks, P-DAVE. MAKE CLEARER ?
    The software that keywords locally - here on my computer - is the solution I've been working on for a day or two now. Think it's all involved with IPTC, XML. I downloaded IRFAN , that writes to IPTC - but the process has a step or two too many.
    Might be looking for what you say about PICASA. Was looking -last nite- for some renamer program in which I could title all my photos here locally then have the renamer make all the filenames into keywords or captions. You get the sense that some of them can do such a thing but it's not stated specifically, and I'd have to test each one out.
    Wonder if your PICASA suggestion is where it's at ?
    I title here on my computer 'cause I like to find things here and make cds to backup that I can search. Since these are dogs, I'm searchin like : " Bowser leaps" & "Spot running" ; sometimes hard to do by date.
    If I could set something that I can tell / configure to simultaeously write to keywords, captions, IPTC as I title that would be great. Or Bulk do it after I'm finished title-ing. I must not be able to picture the PICSA process yet : highlighting each name seems still a step or so too many - even though highlighting (say) MAX and saying Keyword each instance would save me some time.
    I do use the SmugMUG bulk keyword caption stuff , but each day or month still takes up lots of time.
    Apparently the " Filenames Just Become Keywords " concept has some meret, as SmugMug (Andy) keeps saying it's the way they were once and soon again doing it. I see the problem as it works great for me and , I guess, others, but is just infuriating (for good reasons) for others.
    Should be an option you can select like " display filename when no caption.

Thanks , Pilot DAVE ... Thanks , Andy
    Marty (voicelit, photofur http://photofur.smugmug.com/ )

pilotdave wrote:
    My honest suggestion for you is to consider changing your process. I think you're wasting time giving your images custom filenames when you could spend less time giving them keywords. I think you'll find that keywords are far more useful. I use Google's Picasa (free software) to manage my pictures. To keyword all the pictures of Max, just highlight them all and hit CTRL+K. That will bring up the keyword window. You can add all the keywords you want in bulk. So maybe keyword it dog, max, pug, puppy...etc. Better yet, highlight ALL the pictures and keyword them all "dog" at the same time. Then go back through and keyword the names of all the dogs.

Those keywords are not just in Picasa (or whatever software you use). They get embedded into the jpeg files themselves, along with captions which you can add in Picasa as well. When you upload them to SmugMug, the keywords and captions come along for the ride. And the best part of doing it in your own software is that you can now search (with picasa or whatever) for the keywords you're looking for. It works MUCH better than your computer's file search. Much faster and more accurate.

So before you knock SmugMug for not doing what you want, consider that what you want might not be the best solution. Don't overcomplicate things. Choose some software that can keyword in bulk (such as Picasa or Lightroom) and get to it. I almost guarantee it'll save you time in the long run, and make things a lot easier on you.

Personally though, I almost always do my keywording and captions using Smugmug's bulk caption/keyword tool. I find it quick and easy. When I need to find an image on my computer, I generally use smugmug to do my searching and find the filename of the image I want. Then I'll know where on my computer I'll be able to find the file (because my filenames are by date, as are my directories). Really not the best way to do it, but it's what I've gotten used to.

Dave