Options

Default keywords

BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I saw this morning that the uploaded filename is no longer a keyword. Is this now the norm?

http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/557183#220846867

Comments

• Options
    SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I saw this morning that the uploaded filename is no longer a keyword. Is this now the norm?

Noticed the same thing. I liked it as it saved me the step of deleting them.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Is this now the norm?

I do not know - shouldn't be - let me check into it.
  • Options
    Alan M. CarrollAlan M. Carroll Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Any update on this?
    File name keywords aren't working for me either. I really miss that. I need to know if this is a permanent change requiring me to re-organize my workflow or not.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    Still not working
    Any new information on whether this is now expected behavior or not?
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    Any new information on whether this is now expected behavior or not?
    Looks like they are avoiding comment on this so it must be the new default (from another Alan :D)
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Still, kind of annoying
    that they're unwilling to go on record as to what the expected behavior should be. Last I checked, the documentation claimed that file name elements were incorporated in to keywords, so official this is a bug.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    that they're unwilling to go on record as to what the expected behavior should be. Last I checked, the documentation claimed that file name elements were incorporated in to keywords, so official this is a bug.
    Ouch - sorry to annoy you! I'm sorry about this, let me keep investigating.

FYI, if you *ever* don't get a speedy answer on Dgrin, email our help desk, our Support Her0es are on call 365 days a year and we answer all emails in a flash.

Now I'll check into this issue again thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Looks like they are avoiding comment on this so it must be the new default (from another Alan :D)
    When have you ever known me to avoid comment naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Confirmed that the behavior is not as it used to be, nor how we state it should be in our help pages. I've bugged this to our engineers, on our internal bug tracker.

Sorry for the hassle!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Confirmed that the behavior is not as it used to be, nor how we state it should be in our help pages. I've bugged this to our engineers, on our internal bug tracker.

Sorry for the hassle!

Hopefully the bug fix is to change the documentation. I like it this way. :)

Dave
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    BigAl wrote:

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap Great, now I don't have to deal with the hundreds of junk
    words showing by auto keywords from filenames.

Just the other side chiming in.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    When have you ever known me to avoid comment naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Any change in status?
    This is still not working for me.
  • Options
    andreasandreas Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Hi,
    I will line up here, too. I miss the auto keyword thing, since I choose my filenames with caution and especially the included file number wouldn´t have to be typed in again. Now I have to check each photo after uploading to copy at least the unique file number.
    cheers,
    andreas
    www.andreaswerth.net

• Options
    huthuthuthut Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2008
    I really miss this a lot too. this is one of the key features I love about uploading. I choose filenames base on a specific format, so that despite wherever a photo ends up, in any software package or web site or email, the key data is with it. Ken
  • Options
    andreasandreas Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Hi,
    was there ever an official answer regarding this issue? Still miss the keywords from the file names.
    cheers,
    andreas
    www.andreaswerth.net

• Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    "We're working on it"
    andreas wrote:
    Hi,
    was there ever an official answer regarding this issue? Still miss the keywords from the file names.
    Yes. It is a bug, and engineers are working on it. My personal opinion is that if, after 6 months, there's no further status update, it's time to write it off as ever being fixed.

I have been investigating other solutions (and hit a different bug that way), but nothing comes close to the simplicity of just typing the keywords in to the file name. You have to pick a file name anyway, so putting keywords there is (IMHO) nice. I do understand why some people don't like that, though.

I posted this reply primarily to keep the thread alive. Of course, I'm also waiting for plaid bell bottoms to come back in to style.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2008
    Yes. It is a bug, and engineers are working on it. My personal opinion is that if, after 6 months, there's no further status update, it's time to write it off as ever being fixed.

I have been investigating other solutions (and hit a different bug that way), but nothing comes close to the simplicity of just typing the keywords in to the file name. You have to pick a file name anyway, so putting keywords there is (IMHO) nice. I do understand why some people don't like that, though.

I posted this reply primarily to keep the thread alive. Of course, I'm also waiting for plaid bell bottoms to come back in to style.
    It's fixed internally but not live yet, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    lukaitis photolukaitis photo Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Any idea on when it will be live again?

I could really use it. I don't caption each photo and this little thing really helped with my workflow and being able to find a photo later.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's fixed internally but not live yet, I'm sorry.

Anything yet on this. It is taking me forever to keyword my galleries. This feature was one that I relied on to make sales. Please reinstate it.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    BigAl wrote:
    Bump :(:

ear.gif
    I am really sorry :( I'll try to get Don's attention on this today.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    BigAl wrote:

Fixed. Sorry for the majorly long hassle :(
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Thanks

Will that apply only to newly updated galleries?
    Or do I still have to go back through the ones uploaded during this downtime?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Thanks

Will that apply only to newly updated galleries?
    Or do I still have to go back through the ones uploaded during this downtime?
    any files uploaded while the bug was alive would need to be reuploaded, or, just easier, add the keyword manually.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I thought this was fixed. When we upload photos the filename is not being keyworded automatically. It is only showing up in the description.

Let me know why this is happening.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Dang. I liked it the other way.

How about NOT adding keywords for parts of the filename that won't show up? My files are always numbered... the numbers become keywords. They don't show up as keywords (since they don't have quotes around them), but they are annoying. Have to clear the keywords before adding any.

Dave
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Oh yeah, this bug, which pilotdave and allen both agreed was more of a fix, from the perspective of the generation of "junk keywords".

I even wrote a workaround, although it converted filenames to captions, not keywords, on demand:

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=826860#post826860

Anyways, after summer break, I am uploading again to SmugMug for my son's school and noticed that the "bug" is fixed, so drat, lots of junk keywords again.

It'd be nice if there was a choice. Maybe you could stick an "Upload" tab in the Control Panel and choose whether to have filenames used as keywords, captions, or nothing at all.

Phanfare's client has a nice set of options that define how captions are imported (see attached).