Options

Why does RSS no longer work on unlisted galleries?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
Are you purposely shutting off RSS on unlisted galleries? I have some unlisted galleries that I use for WiFi photo frames. I enter the RSS feed for that gallery and include the entire gallery ID + key and I get no information in the RSS feed. It seems that if you have the gallery key, you area allowed to view the gallery on the web so you should be able to also use an RSS feed from it.

Can you please look at this and tell me whether you intend for it to be this way or if it's something you can fix?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Are you purposely shutting off RSS on unlisted galleries? I have some unlisted galleries that I use for WiFi photo frames. I enter the RSS feed for that gallery and include the entire gallery ID + key and I get no information in the RSS feed. It seems that if you have the gallery key, you area allowed to view the gallery on the web so you should be able to also use an RSS feed from it.

Can you please look at this and tell me whether you intend for it to be this way or if it's something you can fix?

Can anyone respond on this? I'd like to use RSS feeds on unlisted galleries with the gallery number and key.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Can anyone respond on this? I'd like to use RSS feeds on unlisted galleries with the gallery number and key.

At this point on the album feed, you don't have to supply the album key, but that will no dobut change very soon.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    At this point on the album feed, you don't have to supply the album key, but that will no dobut change very soon.

I have WiFi picture frames (far away from me in other states) hooked up to unlisted galleries via RSS feed now. They work with just the gallery number in the RSS feed. They do not work if I add the gallery key. I need to make sure that when you start requiring the key for access to unlisted galleries that my existing RSS feeds on existing galleries don't break or I know exactly when the key is going to be required and I can add it at the right time.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    John, I will give you a heads up when it goes live thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    John, I will give you a heads up when it goes live thumb.gif

John,

This change has gone live now. The format is Data={AlbumID}_{AlbumKey}, older galleries are grandfathered and can be accessed via the old urls.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    I'm having problems access these as well. The unlisted galleries seem to work fine when I am using a desktop reader, but if I try to access an unlisted gallery from framechannel.com nothing ever comes up. I have tried using the key, and not using it. Nothing ever displays for an unlisted gallery.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm having problems access these as well. The unlisted galleries seem to work fine when I am using a desktop reader, but if I try to access an unlisted gallery from framechannel.com nothing ever comes up. I have tried using the key, and not using it. Nothing ever displays for an unlisted gallery.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm using framechannel successfully. The best way to debug framechannel is to get the Feed URL that framechannel generates, load that into a browser like Firefox and then look at exactly what it thinks it is seeing.

To get my frame to work with framechannel, I had to limit the image size to XL on my gallery because my frame was choking on sizes larger than that. You also need to make sure that external linking is enabled.

Remember that if you are using an RSS feed on an unlisted gallery, you should use the whole galleryID_key in the feed URL, not just the galleryID.

If you don't mind posting the feed URL you are using, we can take a look and see if we see any problems.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Here is the feed I am trying to use:

http://photos.wendellbeitzel.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=3491150_K4dMm&format=rss200

Like I said, it works fine if I just subscribe to it using a desktop reader, but when I plug it in as an RSS photo feed in framechannel it chokes. I have tested public galleries rom my site in framechannel and they seem to work great. It is somethinga bout the unlisted galleries that is causing problems.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Here is the feed I am trying to use:

http://photos.wendellbeitzel.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=3491150_K4dMm&format=rss200

Like I said, it works fine if I just subscribe to it using a desktop reader, but when I plug it in as an RSS photo feed in framechannel it chokes. I have tested public galleries rom my site in framechannel and they seem to work great. It is somethinga bout the unlisted galleries that is causing problems.

Thanks for the help!

That is an unlisted gallery that you are trying to use a feed on. Apparently, Smugmug just made all feeds stop working in unlisted galleries, even when using the security key, except when the requesting browser is logged in. I just discovered this and had to change all my feed galleries to be public for now. We'll have to see if Smugmug agrees that this is a bug or not. You can follow some chat on this subject here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    John,

This change has gone live now. The format is Data={AlbumID}_{AlbumKey}, older galleries are grandfathered and can be accessed via the old urls.

Cheers,

David

Things seem kind of messed up to me. See this post for a description of what is and isn't working for feeds. I can get NO unlisted gallery feed to work anymore, whether pre-existing or new and whether security key included or not. I had to make my feed galleries public in order to keep things working. Can you please document what is supposed to work and what is not and/or what you consider a problem that you are going to fix?

Unlisted gallery feeds used to work and they no longer do in any way (unless you are logged in).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Things seem kind of messed up to me. See this post for a description of what is and isn't working for feeds. I can get NO unlisted gallery feed to work anymore, whether pre-existing or new and whether security key included or not. I had to make my feed galleries public in order to keep things working. Can you please document what is supposed to work and what is not and/or what you consider a problem that you are going to fix?

Unlisted gallery feeds used to work and they no longer do in any way (unless you are logged in).

it's a bug, it seems to be working fine for me internally, I need to do some deeper digging to see if it's related to any specific gallery settings.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Thanks for the help, glad it wasn't just my imagination!

Hope it can get worked out...
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Phew, glad it wasn't just me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    bump...this fix should be live now thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    bump...this fix should be live now thumb.gif

It's working as I would expect now. Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    It's working as I would expect now. Thanks.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Now to wait for new photos to be added to the galleries I am watching.

Thanks!!!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    akandrewsakandrews Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    Need a little help with getting Framechannel feed working
    I am trying to use the following trick in Framechannel

[url]http://[/url][nickname].smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=[albumID]&format=atom03

I have nickname set to imagenation and album id set to 4163733

It is unlisted with external links enabled and size set to XL

I see from the quote below that albumkey is specified... How do I find that? Sorry to be clueless....

Also, it says older galleries are grandfathered... How old is older?

The message I am getting in Framechannel is "No active images in this channel"

Thanks for any help.

devbobo wrote:
    John,

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    akandrews wrote:
    I am trying to use the following trick in Framechannel

[URL="http://"]http://[/URL][nickname].smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=[albumID]&format=atom03

I have nickname set to imagenation and album id set to 4163733

It is unlisted with external links enabled and size set to XL

I see from the quote below that albumkey is specified... How do I find that? Sorry to be clueless....

Also, it says older galleries are grandfathered... How old is older?

The message I am getting in Framechannel is "No active images in this channel"

Thanks for any help.
    The key should show in the browser address bar. Click on a photo in
    Smugmug style to bring up lightbox and look at the address bar. You'll see
    both the gallery key and photo keys if the exist.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    The key should show in the browser address bar. Click on a photo in
    Smugmug style to bring up lightbox and look at the address bar. You'll see
    both the gallery key and photo keys if the exist.

Thanks for the reply

So, in the following

4163733_nPALQ#243699476

is the nPALQ the key?

is the "#" part of the key or part of the photo id?

thanks for your help
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2008
    akandrews wrote:
    Thanks for the reply

So, in the following

4163733_nPALQ#243699476

is the nPALQ the key?

is the "#" part of the key or part of the photo id?

thanks for your help
    That's the gallery key and looks like you cut off the photo key.
    The # starts the photo number but is not included in any link.

...4163733_nPALQ#243699476_xxxxx-A-LB

Direct links to gallery and photo.
    .../gallery/4163733_nPALQ
    .../photos/243699476_xxxxx-L.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2008
    Thanks. I found that adding the gallery id and the gallery key didnt work UNTIL I added in the pound sign #...

Now I have a framechannel gallery feed working WOOT clap.gif
    thanks for your help again

Allen wrote:
    That's the gallery key and looks like you cut off the photo key.
    The # starts the photo number but is not included in any link.

...4163733_nPALQ#243699476_xxxxx-A-LB

Direct links to gallery and photo.
    .../gallery/4163733_nPALQ
    .../photos/243699476_xxxxx-L.jpg
  • Options
    charred_watercharred_water Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Hi,

I am reading this thread and trying to get framechannel to work with one of my unlisted galleries.

I created a custom RSS feed in framechannel. I am debugging in framechannel by viewing the custom RSS feed to see if any pictures display. All I get when I view the custom RSS feed in framchannel is the numbers 1, 2, 3 repeating endlessly. I assume this means my custom RSS feed is not working.

Here is my custom RSS feed:
    http://laufamily.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=4902920_3Wkc6#&format=atom03

I tried with and without the # at the end of the {gallery id_gallery key}.

I normally do not have external links enabled but enabling external links had no effect.

Does this feed work for anyone else?

What am I missing in the URL?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    remove the #, it's not required.

The issue is that framechannel is excepting an rss feed not an atom feed. So change format=atom03 to format=rss200 thumb.gif
    Hi,

I am reading this thread and trying to get framechannel to work with one of my unlisted galleries.

I created a custom RSS feed in framechannel. I am debugging in framechannel by viewing the custom RSS feed to see if any pictures display. All I get when I view the custom RSS feed in framchannel is the numbers 1, 2, 3 repeating endlessly. I assume this means my custom RSS feed is not working.

Here is my custom RSS feed:
    http://laufamily.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=4902920_3Wkc6#&format=atom03

I tried with and without the # at the end of the {gallery id_gallery key}.

I normally do not have external links enabled but enabling external links had no effect.

Does this feed work for anyone else?

What am I missing in the URL?

Thanks!
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ARG!ARG! Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    So this appears to impact feedURL based slide shows using Shizam's slide show. Any work around?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    ARG! wrote:
    So this appears to impact feedURL based slide shows using Shizam's slide show. Any work around?

please supply the feed url you are trying to use and i'll take a look.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ARG!ARG! Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    please supply the feed url you are trying to use and i'll take a look.
    feedURL: 'http://api.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=userkeyword%26NickName=mmiller%26Data=SlideShow'

This was not working for visitors, until I turned Hello world! in gallery privacy settings to yes. Once I did that it worked fine; though I'd prefer to not have galleries accessible to Google.
  • Options
    charred_watercharred_water Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    remove the #, it's not required.

The issue is that framechannel is excepting an rss feed not an atom feed. So change format=atom03 to format=rss200 thumb.gif
    Thanks, my RSS feed is working now!

I'm trying to follow one the examples on your Feed Examples page for a user keyword feed:
    api.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=userkeyword&NickName=laufamily&Data=Daniel&format=rss200

Framechannel doesn't find any images. Is this example affected by the recent security change?

Also, do I need to have external links enabled on all my galleries for a user keyword feed?

I don't understand when I use api.smugmug.com and when I use laufamily.smugmug.com .