• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Shizam's Flash Slideshow

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  233
Old Oct-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Baldy is offline Baldy OP
aka Chris MacAskill
Shizam's Flash Slideshow
We love BigWebGuy and his Slideshow hack, but Flash is sssoooo ssssmmmooootttthhhhh....

We've been working for 3 months on a slideshow that you can put on your home page or embed in blogs, forums, etc. With options.

We think it's solid enough now for ye of the cutting edge to give it a whirl. Well, the code is solid, the docs not so much. That's coming but here's a start.

Here's what it looks like for medium-sized images.

Many options are available and you can read about them here. Shizam will drop in when he can to answer questions. We're definitely working on the docs and a box that lets mere mortals place it on their SmugMug home pages easily. But we think the code is solid.

Here are some examples on SmugMug home pages:

Moon River Photography
Big Web Guy's site
Photoscape Design

Let us know what you think!

All the best,
Baldy

EDIT: Tutorial available on how to set it up in the bio section.

IMPORTANT! Please see the GOTCHA at the bottom, here. It's important information about adding hidden text to your bio, both for SmugSearch and Google searches.

EDIT 2/28/08: It is NO LONGER required that you have the javascript code in your JS box for this slideshow hack, we've built that in to the main SmugMug code You also do NOT need the body {opacity: 1;} statement in your CSS. The wiki instructions have been updated
Old Oct-08-2007, 06:30 PM
brandofamily is offline brandofamily
Just a Guy with a Camera
Thanks for finally posting how this works and how to customize it
I know you've been working on it for awhile, I can across it on a few of the "heros'" pages and have been messing with it for about a week or so...
Use this code:8jDMwxj6yp4f2 to save on a subscription to Smugmug
Old Oct-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Shizam is offline Shizam
Crack in a Can
Hah,
Thats great. Sneaky sneaky brando.
Old Oct-08-2007, 08:34 PM
aktse is offline aktse
Major grins
Old Oct-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Shizam is offline Shizam
Crack in a Can
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend
This is a very cool new capability! I'm giving this a whirl. I can get the default configuration to show up, but I can't get the parameters showThumbs, showButtons or showLogo to work. I'm probably just not doing something right.

I set them to false, but all those features still show in the resulting slideshow. I'm using the <object> method and pasting the code into a gallery description. I'm putting the parameters in the
tag right after the object tag as shown in the example.

The slideshow itself works fine, just not the parameter control over the other things. The gallery where I was playing with it is here: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/2176658.
I see the problem, you've setup the parameters correctly for one (of the two tags), you have to set those same parameters for the other tag. It starts:

embed src="http...."

That should fix 'er up.

Shiz
</object>
Old Oct-08-2007, 08:46 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizam
I see the problem, you've setup the parameters correctly for one (of the two tags), you have to set those same parameters for the other tag. It starts:

embed src="http...."

That should fix 'er up.

Shiz
That was it. Thanks. Am I supposed to put identical params in both places?
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Oct-08-2007, 08:57 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend
That was it. Thanks. Am I supposed to put identical params in both places?
Hmmm. Works great in Firefox. When I go to http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/2176658 in IE 7, I get this:

Other people's slideshows seem to work fine in IE7 so there's just something messed up with mine or some problem in IE with pasting these tags into a gallery description.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Last edited by jfriend; Oct-08-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old Oct-08-2007, 09:28 PM
LiquidAir is offline LiquidAir
Major grins
Ooooo. That's very cool. I am going to have to give that a whirl. Any chance I can use a keyword search to drive it rather than a gallery?
Old Oct-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Desert-Rat is offline Desert-Rat
Big grins
Is there a configuration to show only horizontal images when drawing from a gallery that has both horizontals and verticals (like the popular gallery)?
Old Oct-08-2007, 11:03 PM
allaxis is offline allaxis
Big grins
In my Control Panel 'BIO'???
Hello All
Just wondering...If I'm to put this in my bio, is that the Bio available within the control panel?

If so, does that not nullify the use of my bio as a search engine tool. (I don't know if I worded that correctly, but I use my bio for Google and other search engines{keywords/metatags})?

Can I add the script in addition to my bio info or do I replace it all?
Or is my best option just to use the other option?

I'm probably thinking the wrong way, but please help me see the light.
Mike
Old Oct-08-2007, 11:16 PM
scwalter is offline scwalter
Major grins
Very nice, I am glad to see this happen.

But the instructions seem overly complicated for the second option (biobox). Why have some of the javascript variables in the bio and the function definition in the control panel>java section and then even more in the CSS?

Wouldn't this be a lot easier? All the code within HTML tags, no going to the control panel?
HTML Code:
<*style type="text/css"> body {opacity: 1;} </*style>

<skript>
 function createSWF( w, h, params) { var args = ""; for (var i in params) { args += i + "=" + params[i] + "&"; } document.writeln('<object width=\"100%\" height=\"100%\" align=\"middle\">'+ '<param name=\"movie\" value=\"http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf?'+args+'\" />'+ '<param name=\"wmode\" value=\"transparent\" />'+ '<embed src=\"http://www.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2007090601.swf?'+args+'\" wmode=\"transparent\" width=\"' + w + '\" height=\" ' + h + '\" type=\"application/x-shockwave-flash\" allowScriptAccess=\"always\" allowNetworking=\"all\"/></object>'); return 1; }

var oParams = new Object;
 oParams.AlbumID = "2504559";
 oParams.newWindow = 'false';
 oParams.transparent = "true";
 oParams.splash = "http://www.smugmug.com/img/ria/ShizamSlides/smugmug_black.png"; 
 oParams.showLogo = "false";
 oParams.clickUrl = "http://www.smugmug.com";
 oParams.showThumbs = "true";
 oParams.showButtons = 'true';
 oParams.crossFadeSpeed = '350';
 createSWF(600,600, oParams, "transparent");
 </skript> 
Old Oct-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Desert-Rat is offline Desert-Rat
Big grins
I tried Shizam, and it works well! Here are few features that are needed to make it a SHIZAM:

1.) An option to allow the user to click the image and go straight the image in it's gallery (like the slideshow hack).

2.) Only require one click on the image to link to a new page. Currently, you have to click on the image to activate the flash region, and a second click to go to the link.

Good work so far!
Old Oct-09-2007, 03:42 AM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaxis
Hello All
Just wondering...If I'm to put this in my bio, is that the Bio available within the control panel?

If so, does that not nullify the use of my bio as a search engine tool. (I don't know if I worded that correctly, but I use my bio for Google and other search engines{keywords/metatags})?

Can I add the script in addition to my bio info or do I replace it all?
Or is my best option just to use the other option?

I'm probably thinking the wrong way, but please help me see the light.
Mike
Not in the least :) I use descriptive text in my bio box, and the shizam show.

View my source/css to see.

www.moonriverphotography.com
Old Oct-09-2007, 03:44 AM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rat
Is there a configuration to show only horizontal images when drawing from a gallery that has both horizontals and verticals (like the popular gallery)?
No, not afaik
Old Oct-09-2007, 04:13 AM
RogersDA is offline RogersDA
Unknown...and happy.
I added the code for showing this in the bio box. But, I am not getting anything.

Can someone look at the code and see what I might have missed, please?
Old Oct-09-2007, 04:33 AM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersDA
I added the code for showing this in the bio box. But, I am not getting anything.

Can someone look at the code and see what I might have missed, please?
First check your CSS for ANY code that affects your bio box and disable that, let us know?
Old Oct-09-2007, 05:01 AM
javier.rinaldi is offline javier.rinaldi
Major grins
Customization Options
Looks like a great idea, I can't really play with it right now since I'm at work.

Will the new slideshow contain any css hooks for customization?
I'd like to give this a try but I'd like to know I can change borders, margins and such.

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."
Old Oct-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier.rinaldi
Looks like a great idea, I can't really play with it right now since I'm at work.

Will the new slideshow contain any css hooks for customization?
I'd like to give this a try but I'd like to know I can change borders, margins and such.
it's got a border parameter. Lots you can style now, more stuff to come later. See my site as example, too.
Old Oct-09-2007, 05:43 AM
RogersDA is offline RogersDA
Unknown...and happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
First check your CSS for ANY code that affects your bio box and disable that, let us know?
Did all of that and no joy.

For kicks I got rid of everything except for the CSS and javascript mentioned in the wiki.

This still does not produce the flash show.
Old Oct-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersDA
Did all of that and no joy.

For kicks I got rid of everything except for the CSS and javascript mentioned in the wiki.

This still does not produce the flash show.
Have a look now, I pasted the code in again for you....
Page 1  of  233
Tell The World!