Options

Trav's Shootout

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited October 8, 2007 in Landscapes
I've processed a few of my photos. Here are my favorites for now. Once I'm done with the gallery I'll post a link here. (and I know I need to work on my titles)

1. Gus
203596989-L-1.jpg

2. Misty Mountain
202889488-L-1.jpg

3. Schmoo takes a walk
202887672-L-1.jpg

4. Desolate
203596752-L-1.jpg

5. Dead Tree
202888320-L-1.jpg

6. Sunrise on Chief Mountain
203596923-L-1.jpg

And cuz you gotta:
7. Smuggy on Parade
202890256-L-1.jpg

As always Comments and Critiques welcomed!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Travis,
    zweiblumen wrote:
    I've processed a few of my photos. Here are my favorites for now. Once I'm done with the gallery I'll post a link here. (and I know I need to work on my titles)

This is cool stuff! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Thanks for sharing! About my favorite...Shmoo takes a walk. Composition is right on for me. I love the balance of her right leg lifting as she peers right. (what is she seeing? Or is she looking for a shot?) One thing, I see air under her left foot, sort of a gravitational thing. I wish I could see a bit more detail in the shadows of Shmoos clothing to contrast the great yellows in the foreground and background. I love the curve of the road. This is a great shot...OK, they were all a pleasure to see. Nice job comparing your 'dead tree' with the vastness of the MT range in the background. Cool, cool, shots, all.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    Nik - Thanks for looking!

leaforte - thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. That shot of Schmooo is one of my all time favorites :ivar
    Travis
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Very nice T-Dog. The first one is awesome. The Schmooo walking pic is great too. Plenty of room for ads....... rolleyes1.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    I think your work has come so far after those 5 short days. Think about the possibilities if you attended a full workshop.... deal.gif

These are great, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased. Gus is totally printable in that shot. The only thing that is really sticking out to me is the color banding in #4 Desolate. What's going on in the clouds up there?
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    i'm surprised noone has mentioned it.. #1 is really cool!! clap.gif

(of course schmoo shot as well rolleyes1.gif)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    eek7.gif Umm..... check my previous post......
    i'm surprised noone has mentioned it.. #1 is really cool!! clap.gif

(of course schmoo shot as well rolleyes1.gif)
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    All of these are fantastic on their own, but I am especially drawn to the dead tree shot. Something about the starkness of it really gets to me. I don't know how to articulate it any better than by simply saying, I LOVE it!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    It was nice meeting you Travis.

I am also drawn to the dead tree shot. I have a thing for dead trees...:D
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Lovely shots Travis. We didn't spend too much time together but I enjoyed the time we had, especially the walk back from the falls. I like the fact that your not afraid to crop. Those pictures wouldn't have had the same impact at a 2:3 ratio. See you next year.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    csphotos - Thanks Dean! As you can tell I really like my psudo-pano crop mwink.gif As I said earlier those are two of my favorites. I'll post the rest of mine once I get a day or so to go through the pile.

schmooo - You mentioned some banding that was happening in that shot... I thought it was just the way the clouds were striated(sp?) and wispy. Any suggestions on it, as I love that shot?

Chrissiebeez_NL - Thanks! I'm getting that one printed!

Pixel Popper - Thanks! That's pretty much what I was going for in that shot. Marc helped me with the PP on this one so that's always a plus!

GREAPER - Was a pleasure meeting you as well Brian, hell, everyone was great! As to the dead tree thing, yeah me too. I usually fall behind on hikes because I'm trying to capture one. This is the first time that I feel I got it "right," if you know what I mean.

gluwater - Nik, yeah, wish there was more time, or the ability to be in two places at once. So many people I wanted to follow around and see how they did things. As for cropping, I use that to make up for my lack of skill in composing the shot to begin with rolleyes1.gif ! Thanks for the feedback and see you at the next shootout!
    Travis
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    This was the thread I was thinking of. (Whew! Found it! Yay procrastination)

But I don't know what your workflow is, so maybe play around with it?

Then again I could be completely off the mark and the clouds were really like that. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Travis - great stuff! Love the gus shot. Nice meeting you.

ann
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2007
    Travis,

You have a great way of including people in the landscape, my feeling is that they should be not only scale but in a repose second to the landscape, prominant in placement rather than size. I enjoyed meeting you and look forward to seing more of your workthumb.gif

Your choice of black and white with a tint for Two Medicine Lake is perfectwings.gif

Many cheers
    Marc
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2007
    schmooo - After a good amount of review, no, that's just they way the clouds were :):

Ann - Thanks for looking, and it was a pleasure meeting you also!

Marc - It was great to meet you, I really appreciate the time you spent helping me with my photos. And thank you for the kind words. :ivar
    Travis
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    I love #1! It's so simple yet it just draws me in!

It's so great to see all these pics from the shootout. Thanks for sharing!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography