Options

Lightroom sky conversion problem

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited September 19, 2007 in Finishing School
When I convert a RAW photo that has a fair amount of blue sky in it I get a result that looks something like this:

195806906-M.jpg

What am I doing or not doing?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    The banding? Are you sure it renders this way (export a full rez file out of LR, examine in Photoshop). Could be the display or the file so lets see which first.

When you lower vibrance does the banding become less visible?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    arodney wrote:
    The banding? Are you sure it renders this way (export a full rez file out of LR, examine in Photoshop). Could be the display or the file so lets see which first.

When you lower vibrance does the banding become less visible?

I see banding too. If I see it on my laptop, and you see it on your computer, how could it be the display? I would have thought that that was a pretty good indication that the problem lies with the file. Is there something I'm missing here?

Duffy
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    I see banding too. If I see it on my laptop, and you see it on your computer, how could it be the display? I would have thought that that was a pretty good indication that the problem lies with the file. Is there something I'm missing here?

Duffy

Banding on LCD's is common, if you do a screen capture, it would show.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    arodney wrote:
    Banding on LCD's is common, if you do a screen capture, it would show.

Thanks for the clarification. It hadn't occurred to me that someone might post a screen capture here, but I guess its possible.

Duffy
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    mrcoons wrote:
    When I convert a RAW photo that has a fair amount of blue sky in it I get a result that looks something like this:

What am I doing or not doing?

Very Interesting, can you post a link to the raw file? There are post conversion ways to fix this problem, but as the problem starts in the conversion of the raw camera data that is the obvious place to nail the issue.

By the way, did you use any HSL or other targeted controls on the sky, or just global exposure, brightness/contrast, curves etc?

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • Options
    Andrew was right
    Andrew was right, it was the sizing of the photo when I exported it that did it. (The vibrance was set to zero on this shot.) The original image was exported at a Lightroom quality setting of around 20, maybe lower. With a resolution of 180. I was trying to keep the file size down because I had so many images to upload.

It appears that a setting of 40 is my cut off. Here is 40 (with a resolution of 200):
    197388340-M.jpg

Here is a setting of 80:
    197388293-M.jpg

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2007
    BinaryFx wrote:
    By the way, did you use any HSL or other targeted controls on the sky, or just global exposure, brightness/contrast, curves etc?

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/

Stephen, no - not to this photo. Only action that would have been taken was to apply the standard LR preset to it when it was converted.