Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Did you find a bug? Ooops, tell us all about it!

Please reply to this thread and tell us what exactly is (not) happening. What operating system and browser are you using? Are you logged in or logged out? Please give us a link to where you see the problem. Let us know everything that you feel may be relevant, as it may help us to track down the problem.

Just for reference,
Old Bug Reporting threads on Dgrin:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40326
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23483

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Amdy, I tried posting a bug, but it said I'm not authorized. It appears we need an account to post? I even tried my smugmug login but it didn't work.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Amdy, I tried posting a bug, but it said I'm not authorized. It appears we need an account to post? I even tried my smugmug login but it didn't work.
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/WikiAccount
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2006
    Thanks.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    My galleries vanished...
    I see them on main page, but when I go into a gallery, no pics there :(
    eg:http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/2053564
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 1, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I see them on main page, but when I go into a gallery, no pics there :(
    eg:http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/2053564

I see the photos fine, clear your browser cache (and cookies if needed)
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    I see the photos fine, clear your browser cache (and cookies if needed)
    thanks, clearing cookies helped!
    First time this happened to me so the panic but smugmug support rocks as always clap.gifclap
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Bulk uploader reporting incorrect number of images uploaded. Happened twice in about a two minute period for 2 different galleries. One gallery I uploaded 4 images, and it said 2 images uploaded, but I checked the gallery and all 4 uploaded. In another gallery I uploaded 1 photo, and it reported that it didn't receive any photos, yet I check the gallery and the photo is there.

I use star explorer alot, but this was a problem like 6 months ago, then was reported and fixed. It seems its back again.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Bulk uploader reporting incorrect number of images uploaded. Happened twice in about a two minute period for 2 different galleries. One gallery I uploaded 4 images, and it said 2 images uploaded, but I checked the gallery and all 4 uploaded. In another gallery I uploaded 1 photo, and it reported that it didn't receive any photos, yet I check the gallery and the photo is there.

I use star explorer alot, but this was a problem like 6 months ago, then was reported and fixed. It seems its back again.
    so, to be clear, you were uploading with StarExplorer? Pls advise, thanks :D
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Andy, no I was using the bulk uploader on smugmug. Just mentioned that I don't use the bulk uploader much anymore since I have star explorer. Stated that I use star explorer because maybe the issue has been around for a while and nobody has reported or noticed it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Andy, no I was using the bulk uploader on smugmug. Just mentioned that I don't use the bulk uploader much anymore since I have star explorer. Stated that I use star explorer because maybe the issue has been around for a while and nobody has reported or noticed it.
    Thanks, I'll make sure Ben sees this!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks, I'll make sure Ben sees this!

This bug was happening like 6 months ago and I pointed it out then and it got fixed. Maybe with some upgrades the fix got unfixed.
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Bug: I removed the co-branded footer
    Seems there is a bug in the co-branding footer. I have successfully removed it even though there is the displa:block hard coded.

You can see it here http://macwrite.smugmug.com Don't worry I will put it back in my footer (so I can remove the | and just have a clean powered by Smugmug Portions © etc etc. I haven't replaced it yet to display the bug).

The footer code needs to be redesigned so that everything can be stripped (login, shopping cart, |, etc) so that we are only left with the Power by Smugmug ©2006 blah blah blah.

To save on page loading, you should have an option for level of co-branding footer in the customizing area from basic (just portions powered by Smugmug ©2006 Smugmug) to full blown etc. This would help with page loading file size (since display:none still loads the content) and allow for the cleaning possible look for pages.

Edit: I also noticed to extra </span></span> before the cobranding footer closing tag that aren't part of any span.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Mac Write wrote:
    Seems there is a bug in the co-branding footer. I have successfully removed it even though there is the displa:block hard coded.

You can see it here http://macwrite.smugmug.com Don't worry I will put it back in my footer (so I can remove the | and just have a clean powered by Smugmug Portions © etc etc. I haven't replaced it yet to display the bug).

The footer code needs to be redesigned so that everything can be stripped (login, shopping cart, |, etc) so that we are only left with the Power by Smugmug ©2006 blah blah blah.

To save on page loading, you should have an option for level of co-branding footer in the customizing area from basic (just portions powered by Smugmug ©2006 Smugmug) to full blown etc. This would help with page loading file size (since display:none still loads the content) and allow for the cleaning possible look for pages.

Edit: I also noticed to extra </span></span> before the cobranding footer closing tag that aren't part of any span.
    Yes, I'll make sure JT sees this.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I keep getting the following error when trying to use the Mac Uploader:-

Your system is not recent enough to log into the smugmug service securely. You can choose to continue insecurely or quit.

If I click on continue insecurely, the log in dialogue doesn't work, it just does nothing.

Charlie

System - Mac Pro, latest install of OS-X
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    I keep getting the following error when trying to use the Mac Uploader:-

Your system is not recent enough to log into the smugmug service securely. You can choose to continue insecurely or quit.

If I click on continue insecurely, the log in dialogue doesn't work, it just does nothing.

Charlie

System - Mac Pro, latest install of OS-X
    Yeah, known bug. Email me at the help desk I have some thing for you :)
  • Options
    cedricdcedricd Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 16, 2006
    IE 7 not displaying various parts of web pages.
    I'm running IE 7 on Vista (the final build, not a Beta) and noticed that various UI elements on smugmug pages aren't getting displayed.
    • When I hover over an image I don't see the thumbs up / thumbs down icon to rate the photo
    • I tried created a new account for a family member as a gift. I entered all their info on the page and then clicked the 'Share the Smug' button. It didn't work - only reloaded the same page. I tried it on Firefox and got a bright red error message stating that SmugMug couldn't charge my credit card (turns out the card smugmug had on file for me was old). On IE 7 I had no idea what the error was. I didn't get a screenshot of this.
    • On logging on to a new account you first see a page prompting you to create a gallery. The 'create gallery' button is missing from that page. Screenshot here: http://cedricdussud.smugmug.com/gallery/2017213/1/110881181/Original
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    I'm running IE 7 on Vista (the final build, not a Beta) and noticed that various UI elements on smugmug pages aren't getting displayed.
    • When I hover over an image I don't see the thumbs up / thumbs down icon to rate the photo
    • I tried created a new account for a family member as a gift. I entered all their info on the page and then clicked the 'Share the Smug' button. It didn't work - only reloaded the same page. I tried it on Firefox and got a bright red error message stating that SmugMug couldn't charge my credit card (turns out the card smugmug had on file for me was old). On IE 7 I had no idea what the error was. I didn't get a screenshot of this.
    • On logging on to a new account you first see a page prompting you to create a gallery. The 'create gallery' button is missing from that page. Screenshot here: http://cedricdussud.smugmug.com/gallery/2017213/1/110881181/Original
    thanks - we're aware of this and the engineers are working on it {JT}
  • Options
    westiswestis Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2006
    Foreign characters don't work in keywords
    Seems like foreign characters (like åäö) still don't work in keywords, in the beta version. They are simply removed, so Växjö becomes Vxj.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2006
    westis wrote:
    Seems like foreign characters (like åäö) still don't work in keywords, in the beta version. They are simply removed, so Växjö becomes Vxj.
    It's a very difficult problem, for our engineers. I'll see if I can get JT to comment on the reasoning. Not a bug, right now, as it's designed that way. Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's a very difficult problem, for our engineers. I'll see if I can get JT to comment on the reasoning. Not a bug, right now, as it's designed that way. Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hope you'll be able to sort it, as also foreign characters in captions get distorted when photos are uploaded. Maybe a feature request to have that fixed, rather than a bug report?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2006
    keywords, foreign characters and character sets
    westis wrote:

This from our CEO and Chief Geek: "Our data model doesn't support them (those tables are Latin-1, not UTF-8, UTF-16, or Unicode), and we really have no way of telling what's punctuation and what's not with foreign languages. "

I wish I had a better answer for you, sorry.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This from our CEO and Chief Geek: "Our data model doesn't support them (those tables are Latin-1, not UTF-8, UTF-16, or Unicode), and we really have no way of telling what's punctuation and what's not with foreign languages. "

I wish I had a better answer for you, sorry.

Hmm, that doesn't sound good... How come it works fine with sites like Zenfolio? Is there a way to convert the tags to UTF-8 before uploading?

The thing is, it is readible when editing a tag in SmugMug, but apparently it is filtered out somehow with the filter that also filters out numbers etc. Can there be an option to not use the pre-defined filter?
  • Options
    ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Couldn't find bug reporting on wiki
    'Fraid I'm lost - I went to the wiki but couldn't find the Bug reporting site.

Thanks.
    Zmom
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Zmom wrote:
    'Fraid I'm lost - I went to the wiki but couldn't find the Bug reporting site.

Thanks.
    Hi Zmom, it's not you. You need to be registered in order to be able to see the bug-reporter, sorry.

Please give us your bug here for now, thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Bug Reporter should be available:

http://smugmug.jot.com/BugReporter
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Bug Reporter should be available:

http://smugmug.jot.com/BugReporter
    It is now, I fixed it :D
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    It is now, I fixed it :D

I just tried to post a bug and it reported an error:
    An error occurred

Error code: InsufficientPrivileges

Additional information: not authorized to add child
    Error Location/BugReporter/New Bug
    Steps I took:
    - Went to Andy's BugReporter Link, which took me to the dashboard, which was empty.
    - Clicked the "New" tab. Contents of the section were also empty.
    - Clicked "New Full" tab. It displayed a form. Now I was getting somewhere (not that intuitive though).
    - Filled out the form.
    - Clicked "Submit".
    - Error displayed.

Am I doing something wrong? Although I now see that my SmugMug bug I was reporting is not a bug. But if it was... :D

Cheers,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    todosLados wrote:
    I just tried to post a bug and it reported an error:
    An error occurred

Error code: InsufficientPrivileges

Additional information: not authorized to add child
    Error Location/BugReporter/New Bug
    Steps I took:
    - Went to Andy's BugReporter Link, which took me to the dashboard, which was empty.
    - Clicked the "New" tab. Contents of the section were also empty.
    - Clicked "New Full" tab. It displayed a form. Now I was getting somewhere (not that intuitive though).
    - Filled out the form.
    - Clicked "Submit".
    - Error displayed.

Am I doing something wrong? Although I now see that my SmugMug bug I was reporting is not a bug. But if it was... :D

Cheers,
    Ben
    post it here for now deal.gif
  • Options
    nocturne1nocturne1 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    another small bug in beta smugmug style - if you check arrange mode, move a pic, then uncheck arrange mode, you still are able to continue arranging pics... doesn't seem to occur in old smugmug style
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    nocturne1 wrote:
    another small bug in beta smugmug style - if you check arrange mode, move a pic, then uncheck arrange mode, you still are able to continue arranging pics... doesn't seem to occur in old smugmug style
    Hi Nocturne, I can't reproduce this. What browser are you using?
This discussion has been closed.