Options

Confused about keywording (again)

brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
edited August 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
In an attempt to drive myself nuts, I went back in to adjust my keywording. Since I had done it very quickly the 1st time thru, I had decided I needed to make the keywords more accurate.
My confusion comes in 2 areas.
1. Keywords must 1st be processed thru SM before taking effect... right or wrong? If so that clears up why the changes do not show up right away.
2. How does SM determine how keywrods are lumped together?
For instance, I enter... brandolino basketball .... 2 words, no quotes, just a space. I do this for 25+ pics (thru the bulk keyword feature). SM returns 3 pics w/
"basketball" (alone) and a bunch w/ "brandolino basketball" (one big keyword).
Here's another mind bender... 3 pics, same gallery, KW'ed same way (thru bulk)... all 3 have these ... bolsena italy "bolsena, italy" .... one 1 comes up as "bolsena, italy". 3 come up as bolsena ...
please help me understand....

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    In an attempt to drive myself nuts, I went back in to adjust my keywording. Since I had done it very quickly the 1st time thru, I had decided I needed to make the keywords more accurate.
    My confusion comes in 2 areas.
    1. Keywords must 1st be processed thru SM before taking effect... right or wrong? If so that clears up why the changes do not show up right away.
    Yes.
    2. How does SM determine how keywrods are lumped together?
    For instance, I enter... brandolino basketball .... 2 words, no quotes, just a space. I do this for 25+ pics (thru the bulk keyword feature). SM returns 3 pics w/
    "basketball" (alone) and a bunch w/ "brandolino basketball" (one big keyword).
    Here's another mind bender... 3 pics, same gallery, KW'ed same way (thru bulk)... all 3 have these ... bolsena italy "bolsena, italy" .... one 1 comes up as "bolsena, italy". 3 come up as bolsena ...
    please help me understand....
    specific links please, to the galleries that you keyworded in each case.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes.

Bolsena http://www.brandolinoimaging.com/gallery/1070548

basketball http://brandolinoimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/1263317
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes.

Any chance you've figured this one out?
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Any chance you've figured this one out?
    Haven't gotten to it, Anthony - and I'm quitting for the night. You've been busy with me, give me some time, willya?

Check back in a day I'll see if I can find out why / what happened with your keywords.
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Haven't gotten to it, Anthony - and I'm quitting for the night. You've been busy with me, give me some time, willya?

Check back in a day I'll see if I can find out why / what happened with your keywords.
    Sorry... I'm off for the summer (teacher) so I have too much time on my hands between taking pics... I'll check back in a day or so...
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2006
    Sorry... I'm off for the summer (teacher) so I have too much time on my hands between taking pics... I'll check back in a day or so...
    So THAT'S WHY

rolleyes1.gif

Yes, go shoot. Leave your website alone for a week, let me catch up with all our other customers.... !!

I'll ask Ben to chime in on this keyword issue.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Seems like this is related to a thread from a month ago
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35834

I have good success using semi-colons, e.g.
    keyword1; keyword2; multi keyword3; etc.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Sorry, It's not been quite a week, but with the heat index soring I'm forced inside a bit...
    Here's another example of the keywording not wording properly.
    This gallery has a kewowrd of "Carolina Carattini" (in quotes) for all 48 pics...
    http://brandolinoimaging.smugmug.com/gallery/1629072
    yet the key word list shows carolina and carattini as 2 separate words. But SM only shows one of the keywords as appearing 40 times and the other 48 times (48 if the right number). Also, the SM developed list does not show the full name even though it IS in quotes (and only in quotes, never as 2 seperate words w/o quotes) in the keyword list.
    Seems to me there is a big ole' bug in the key wording system....
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    I've asked for help in investigating further.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I've asked for help in investigating further.
    Thank you. I did not want to be a bother. But my thinking is that the more info the investigator has the deeper he/she can dig...
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Brando did you try this?
    pat.kane wrote:
    Seems like this is related to a thread from a month ago
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35834

I have good success using semi-colons, e.g.
    keyword1; keyword2; multi keyword3; etc.

ear.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    I've tried a bunch of things. I did re-do one gallery w/ ";" instead of spaces. But the KW's are now not showing up on the KW page.ne_nau.gif
    I'm also finding that sometimes, only sometimes, when I enter KW list into another gallery, using bulk method, (cut and paste from other gallery or typing in all in) the entire list gets quotes added around it by SM....ne_nau.gifcry I would think this could cause a problem...

Edit... I just added the term nikon to one pic and it showed up instantly... I cut and pasted to edit the same gallery a few hours ago and still the KW's are not appearing (there are 48 pics in the gallery).
  • Options
    videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    Any fix/work-around on this yet?
    I am about to try and add bulk key words to about 7000 images. Many of the images I could add up to 10 key words to help users narrow their search. It sure would be great to not have to select these images over and over to add each new key word.
    Frank Spangler
    Business: www.panopro.com
    Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
    Blog: www.untotheleast.com
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    I am about to try and add bulk key words to about 7000 images. Many of the images I could add up to 10 key words to help users narrow their search. It sure would be great to not have to select these images over and over to add each new key word.

I've used the bulk keywording feature here on smugmug for all my pics... I have never seen the "random keyword lumping" happen as was described here... 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2006
    Solved
    The trick apears to be putting each seperate word in quotation marks. ie "Kenya" "Students" "Education" "School" "Children", etc. aplied to multiple selected images seems to result in seperate key words.
    Frank Spangler
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2006
    If you were to just enter: Kenya; education; students; children; school, etc...
    SM adds quotes around all words and treats it as a phrase, aparently....
    Frank Spangler
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    The trick apears to be putting each seperate word in quotation marks. ie "Kenya" "Students" "Education" "School" "Children", etc. aplied to multiple selected images seems to result in seperate key words.

I've never had to do that... typical entry (for each pic in bulk update) for me would be:

david mark stephen group "new york" pool

never had a problem.... ne_nau.gif

Are you referring to the box at the top to apply multiple keywords to multiple images at one time... I haven't tried that. (I have used this box to search and replace them though with no problems)
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    Are you referring to the box at the top to apply multiple keywords to multiple images at one time... I haven't tried that. (I have used this box to search and replace them though with no problems)

Yes, that's the one

I think another couple of features that would help this process are:
    1. The ability to view bulk images as smaller thumbnails, as in Bulk rotate, bulk delete.
    2. The ability to multiple select using the control key.
    Frank Spangler