Options

bug in bulk keywording

rtengrteng Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited December 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
hey everyone,

i've been trying to bulk keyword, but it seems that whenever I enter two words without quotes, it enters the two words as a phrase (i.e. with quotes) into the keyword fields. I have verified this by saving and checking/refreshing the photos afterwards. Can someone verify this?

have I really found two bugs in one day?,
Robert

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    hey everyone,

i've been trying to bulk keyword, but it seems that whenever I enter two words without quotes, it enters the two words as a phrase (i.e. with quotes) into the keyword fields. I have verified this by saving and checking/refreshing the photos afterwards. Can someone verify this?

have I really found two bugs in one day?,
    Robert
    May I have a link to your gallery please, where you were doing this. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    May I have a link to your gallery please, where you were doing this. Thanks.
    check your PM, thanks.

oh, and I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    check your PM, thanks.

oh, and I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4.

update: it seems to be doing that in ALL my galleries headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    rteng wrote:
    update: it seems to be doing that in ALL my galleries headscratch.gif

If you want to add john johnson you'd do it like this:

john (preview)
    johnson (preview)
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    If you want to add john johnson you'd do it like this:

john (preview)
    johnson (preview)

Thanks Andy,

May I suggest that's a bit inelegant - it would easier just to do it in one swing. So if you want to put a phrase, you could do it by putting the words in "quotes." If you want to add several words, you should be able to just type them all in the upper box and hit preview, save. This is more important, of course, in case when you're say, adding a whole list of names to pictures. It's not fun to highlight all the photos, type each name in separately, hitting preview X amount of times. Time is money! Just a suggestion..

Thanks again,
    Robert
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Instead of having to use quotes, I'd prefer to see the add bulk keyword box behave like Photoshop and many other programs, i.e., keywords are separated by semi-colons, e.g.,

keyword1; keyword2; multi keyword3; etc.
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    Andy, is your solution a workaround to a bug, or is this how we're supposed to enter keywords from now on?

This is taken from the Smugmug Help page under the heading How to enter or add keywords:
    Entering sweet car without quotations places two keywords on your home page: sweet and car. But "sweet car!" creates one.
    From what I can tell, the help page is true for adding keywords to a single photo. Shouldn't this apply when adding bulk keywords as well?
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    I have always used bulk update, and used quotes to create multiword keywords... has this changed?
  • Options
    vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Bulk Keywording....
    i've been trying to bulk keyword, but it seems that whenever I enter two words without quotes, it enters the two words as a phrase (i.e. with quotes) into the keyword fields.

This is from May, but I'm having the same problem. I do a bulk keywording attempt. I put the words XXX; XXX; XXX; XXXX etc. in the ADD area and select all or some and it adds them fine BUT it puts quotes around them so instead of having 4 keywords, I now have one long one = "XXX; XXX; XXX; XXXX" -- I don't want the 4 words to be joined together into one key word, I want each one to be a key word.

I have had this problem before and gave up keywording but I don't want to do that and want to get it right. Thanks if you can help me figure out what to do.

ne_nau.gif
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2006
    vlherring wrote:
    i've been trying to bulk keyword, but it seems that whenever I enter two words without quotes, it enters the two words as a phrase (i.e. with quotes) into the keyword fields.

This is from May, but I'm having the same problem. I do a bulk keywording attempt. I put the words XXX; XXX; XXX; XXXX etc. in the ADD area and select all or some and it adds them fine BUT it puts quotes around them so instead of having 4 keywords, I now have one long one = "XXX; XXX; XXX; XXXX" -- I don't want the 4 words to be joined together into one key word, I want each one to be a key word.

I have had this problem before and gave up keywording but I don't want to do that and want to get it right. Thanks if you can help me figure out what to do.

ne_nau.gif
    add them one at a time. keyword1, then preview, keyword2, then preview, etc...

thumb.gif
  • Options
    ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Smugmug continues to insist that this is a "feature" of the keyword system, rather than a huge hinderance.

Here is the workaround:

Enter your keywords all at the same time, click preview. This will create the quotes (that I have never heard a single person say they wanted) around your keywords.

Go up to the drop down box, select "subtract" from "all" and then in the box for what to subtract, place a single " and hit preview. This will remove all quotation marks from your keywords.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2006
    Elysium wrote:
    Smugmug continues to insist that this is a "feature" of the keyword system, rather than a huge hinderance.

Here is the workaround:

Enter your keywords all at the same time, click preview. This will create the quotes (that I have never heard a single person say they wanted) around your keywords.

Go up to the drop down box, select "subtract" from "all" and then in the box for what to subtract, place a single " and hit preview. This will remove all quotation marks from your keywords.
    Now *that* is brilliant thumb.gif thanks for the great tip.
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    great tip, however I still don't understand why the help tells us
    keywordone keywordtwo will create keywordone keywordtwo
    while
    "keywordone keywordtwo" will create "keywordone keywordtwo"

this is incorrect.

Is the help wrong, or is there a bug? It has to be one or the other.