Options

Collage Landscape and other bugs

QBiCQBiC Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited May 5, 2014 in Bug Reporting
I'm playing around a bit in the New Smugmug Preview mode. Some issues I've encountered so far (recent Firefox build):
  1. Hyperlinks in gallery descriptions don't work. They are shown as plain text instead. This works fine in the old Smugmug.
  2. Fill option in lightbox mode renders images less sharp than their fixed-size counterparts. Most noticable with photo's in portrait orientation. (But this is more of a browser limitation.) This is a bit of a dilemma. I like the edge to edge display. But I like sharp images too :D
  3. The Cover Photo on the homepage should be draggable inside the Profile box. (as in: specify another crop to fit the box better)
  4. When modifying my homepage and tweaking the Galleries content block, the "number of rows" and "row count" have different effect on Grid layout and Collage Landscape Layout. "12 rows" for Grid layout means just that: 12 rows of images. With the Collage Landscape Layout enabled, "12 rows" actually only shows 12 images ...
  5. I would love to use the new Collage Landscape mode as the new default for all my galleries, but there are some issues:
    1. I have galleries with several hundreds of images. Things can get quite slow then. Is pagination in this gallery style not an option?
    2. When switching from Smugmug style to Collage Landscape style, the active image is opened in lightbox mode first.
    3. Then the most annoying issue (imo):
      Clicking on an image in let's say row 3 of the Collage Landscape style opens the lightbox; when the lightbox is closed, the page will have scrolled down, now placing row 3 as the top row in the browser, and so on. This is confusing; you've lost track of where you last clicked and visitors will overlook lot's of photographs this way. (Thumbnail style has the same bug/feature.)
Other than that, I like what you've done with the place :)

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    QBiC wrote: »
    I'm playing around a bit in the New Smugmug Preview mode. Some issues I've encountered so far (recent Firefox build):
    1. Hyperlinks in gallery descriptions don't work. They are shown as plain text instead. This works fine in the old Smugmug.
    2. Fill option in lightbox mode renders images less sharp than their fixed-size counterparts. Most noticable with photo's in portrait orientation. (But this is more of a browser limitation.) This is a bit of a dilemma. I like the edge to edge display. But I like sharp images too :D
    3. The Cover Photo on the homepage should be draggable inside the Profile box. (as in: specify another crop to fit the box better)
    4. When modifying my homepage and tweaking the Galleries content block, the "number of rows" and "row count" have different effect on Grid layout and Collage Landscape Layout. "12 rows" for Grid layout means just that: 12 rows of images. With the Collage Landscape Layout enabled, "12 rows" actually only shows 12 images ...
    5. I would love to use the new Collage Landscape mode as the new default for all my galleries, but there are some issues:
      1. I have galleries with several hundreds of images. Things can get quite slow then. Is pagination in this gallery style not an option?
      2. When switching from Smugmug style to Collage Landscape style, the active image is opened in lightbox mode first.
      3. Then the most annoying issue (imo):
        Clicking on an image in let's say row 3 of the Collage Landscape style opens the lightbox; when the lightbox is closed, the page will have scrolled down, now placing row 3 as the top row in the browser, and so on. This is confusing; you've lost track of where you last clicked and visitors will overlook lot's of photographs this way. (Thumbnail style has the same bug/feature.)
    Other than that, I like what you've done with the place :)

Q1. Hyperlinks in gallery descriptions don't work. They are shown as plain text instead. This works fine in the old Smugmug.
    * Sorry, not html in the descriptions. Html block in the gallery might be the way to go to add formatted text.

Q2. Fill option in lightbox mode renders images less sharp than their fixed-size counterparts. Most noticable with photo's in portrait orientation. (But this is more of a browser limitation.) This is a bit of a dilemma. I like the edge to edge display. But I like sharp images too
    * On my site with some test pics, I'm not seeing any issue. Could you shoot us a link to the image to the help desk and we'll take a look?

Q3. The Cover Photo on the homepage should be draggable inside the Profile box. (as in: specify another crop to fit the box better)
    * Yes I want that too. I'll be entering a feature request to the product team. :)

Q4. When modifying my homepage and tweaking the Galleries content block, the "number of rows" and "row count" have different effect on Grid layout and Collage Landscape Layout. "12 rows" for Grid layout means just that: 12 rows of images. With the Collage Landscape Layout enabled, "12 rows" actually only shows 12 images ...
    * Link to your site would help us see what the layout looks like and to be sure which block you have in place.

Q5. I would love to use the new Collage Landscape mode as the new default for all my galleries, but there are some issues:
    * I'll submit a feature request for pagination.
    * Been bugged already
    * If it hasn't been bugged, I'll check on it
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Thanks richW.
    Q1. Hyperlinks in gallery descriptions don't work. They are shown as plain text instead. This works fine in the old Smugmug.
    * Sorry, not html in the descriptions. Html block in the gallery might be the way to go to add formatted text.
    That's too bad, especially because it worked on old-smug. I'm on a basic account, so I can't add html content blocks to galleries. I just use it to provide a link back to a corresponding wordpress page. Other formatting I don't care about.
    Q2. Fill option in lightbox mode renders images less sharp than their fixed-size counterparts. Most noticable with photo's in portrait orientation. (But this is more of a browser limitation.) This is a bit of a dilemma. I like the edge to edge display. But I like sharp images too
    * On my site with some test pics, I'm not seeing any issue. Could you shoot us a link to the image to the help desk and we'll take a look?

Any pic with some fine detail will do. I'm working with a 1920*1200 screen resolution. Images are set to maximum X3-Large (1600*1200). Choosing fixed X3 or X2 will show the native images ( = old-smug-style = sharp). Choosing Fill will let the browser resize down from X3 (or whichever is slightly larger than the window) to fit inside it. This renders the image less sharp (some browsers do a better job than others).
    Obviously all is fine when looking at them full screen, because no resizing is required.

e.g.: http://qbic.smugmug.com/Travel/West-USA-2012/Day-01-10/i-d3SbvPv/A
    It's clearly visible on the loose rocks in the distance and down below.
    http://qbic.smugmug.com/Travel/West-USA-2012/Day-01-10/i-675wLq3/A (plants/grass on the left or trees in the distance)
    http://qbic.smugmug.com/Travel/West-USA-2012/Day-01-10/i-2zqpBb7/A (people and walkway)

This is just something I noticed and wanted to share. I don't think it can be fixed (as it's the browser that does the resizing) other than going back to old-smug lightbox with fixed display sizes.
    Q4. When modifying my homepage and tweaking the Galleries content block, the "number of rows" and "row count" have different effect on Grid layout and Collage Landscape Layout. "12 rows" for Grid layout means just that: 12 rows of images. With the Collage Landscape Layout enabled, "12 rows" actually only shows 12 images ...
    * Link to your site would help us see what the layout looks like and to be sure which block you have in place.

I noticed this has been fixed. Wording is accurate now.

Other issues encountered so far:
    1) the cover photo in the profile box won't show at random times. It briefly shows on page load, but then goes black. But can't reliably reproduce this.
    2) The setting "action on click: Open in Lightbox" for the "Multiple Photos" content block shows a lightbox, but no navigation or any other overlay information or buttons that the regular Lightbox (opened from inside a gallery) has. (I switched to "open gallery" for now, so I could unveil.)
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Another feature request:
    - on the collage landscape (etc) gallery styles, a share button should be displayed (for example, on top, next to Slideshow and Owner Buy), so the "Get a Link" page can be accessed without first opening a random image (cause that's where that button is)

Another bug report:
    - Date timestamp in Photo Info popup shows date modified instead of date taken.
  • Options
    aaronpriestaaronpriest Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    HTML seems to work OK in the descriptions. Previously we did not need HTML, websites would parse correctly. I had to go through and edit all my links in my galleries back to my blog posts again. Sigh...

Anyway, try something like this:
    <a href="http://www.aaronpriestphoto.com/">Aaron Priest Photography</a>

I noticed breaks work too such as <br>
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    That works, thanks!

But, I thought html was off the tabel too (see richW's reply above). Maybe it was changed recently.

(To smugmug-devs: an official "changelog" with al the latest bugfixes and new features would be handy in situations like these ...)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    Any updates on 5.3?
    Then the most annoying issue (imo):
    Clicking on an image in let's say row 3 of the Collage Landscape style opens the lightbox; when the lightbox is closed, the page will have scrolled down, now placing row 3 as the top row in the browser, and so on. This is confusing; you've lost track of where you last clicked and visitors will overlook lots of photographs this way. (Thumbnail style has the same bug/feature.)
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    This drives me crazy too.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    This drives me crazy too.
    Is this on the Active Bug List yet? They tell me there are not hundreds of bugs, although I know there are. I see 'em here. But clearly many have not been added to that main list.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    How can I get them on the main list?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2014
    5.3 seems to have been fixed in Chrome but not in Firefox...

Collage Landscape > scroll down > click any photo to open the lightbox > close the lightbox > page will jump back to top ...
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    I tested this on Chrome, Firefox, and IE this morning. I opened a large landscape collage gallery, scrolled down the page, and then open an image. On closing the image the gallery snaps back to the top. I think this needs to be addressed. I can't image a viewer enjoying having to scroll back down to find where they were browsing.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited May 5, 2014
    I tested this on Chrome, Firefox, and IE this morning. I opened a large landscape collage gallery, scrolled down the page, and then open an image. On closing the image the gallery snaps back to the top. I think this needs to be addressed. I can't image a viewer enjoying having to scroll back down to find where they were browsing.
    This has always behaved poorly. I agree that it needs to be addressed. I'm not holding my breath for a fix though given that this was reported at the end of July of 2013.

A second behavior I see often is that when I close the image in lightbox (to return to a collage landscape-styled gallery) I am returned to an empty gallery page. I need to refresh the browser to see the photos again.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    This has always behaved poorly. I agree that it needs to be addressed. I'm not holding my breath for a fix though given that this was reported at the end of July of 2013.

A second behavior I see often is that when I close the image in lightbox (to return to a collage landscape-styled gallery) I am returned to an empty gallery page. I need to refresh the browser to see the photos again.

--- Denise

I swear it was working correctly for a while. I'm not 100% sure though.

You see an empty gallery? On your site only or on others as well? I've not seen that. Does this one appear empty after you click an image? Do you have to scroll way down to see that happen?

My Wildlife Gallery
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited May 5, 2014
    ...You see an empty gallery? On your site only or on others as well? I've not seen that. Does this one appear empty after you click an image? Do you have to scroll way down to see that happen?
    I've only noticed it on my galleries, and no I don't have to scroll way down to see it happen. The kicker is that it doesn't happen all of the time and I haven't yet seen a pattern to reproduce the problem.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2014
    I've only noticed it on my galleries, and no I don't have to scroll way down to see it happen. The kicker is that it doesn't happen all of the time and I haven't yet seen a pattern to reproduce the problem.

--- Denise

I checked one of your NH galleries and didn't see an empty gallery. After opening an image well down on the page, it snapped back to the top when I closed the image. I hope this get's addressed soon.
  • Options
    steamphotossteamphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2014

--- Denise

Are you still seeing this? I reported a similar issue last month (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=246571) and it was fixed in the past few days.