Options

Statcounter doesn't work

masnatmasnat Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited September 18, 2013 in SmugMug Support
My statcounter CSS code seems to disappear with the new design.

I've found two places to insert the code: Theme advanced settings and site content block. Which one is the right one?

I've tried both, but neither of them seem to be working. Also, when I add the code to the footer block it gets truncated.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    How can you tell? Mine is still registering hits on my "legacy site." I've not "revealed" my new one. I'd like to know it's still working before I do. I use it a valuable tool and do not wish to give it up.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    I don't see new clicks anymore. I've "unveiled" my new site already.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Post your site link, I'll give it a click or two. This will confirm it for you.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited July 31, 2013
    I think Statcounter is based on javascript code, not css. I know it is on my site. I asked about this in another thread, but haven't gotten a reply yet. If javascript is not going to be allowed, then Statcounter won't work.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    I mentioned CSS because in the old version I've added the code into the CSS box (I'm not a developer and I don't know the difference).

With new design I've tried CSS and HTML, both standard and basic codes. No luck. Google analytics doesn't work either.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Yeah, Google Analytics is also javascript, so it's probably broken as well. Hopefully, we'll see an exception for these two popular and well-behaved applications. SM Statistics are better for some things, but not for others, like showing the navigation path that users follow.
  • Options
    KQuinlanKQuinlan Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    As for Google Analytics, there is still a section for your Analytics Property ID in the "Smugmug Account" section under "Stats"... So I assume it will be fixed in the near future.
    Visit Kevin On - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Ouch... I was just thinking about this issue. I hope someone addresses it - it's nearly a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Statcounter has an install guide for SmugMug which has just straight html code. I just put mine in an html box for "entire site" and we'll see what happens.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    I don't understand how you could do what Statcounter does without invoking a script, but hey, I haven't written code in years. Let us know if it works and post the HTML. thumb.gif

It would be nice to get some official word on this from SM. ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    I don't understand how you could do what Statcounter does without invoking a script, but hey, I haven't written code in years.

The non-JS code Statcounter shows also has the following disclaimer (which pretty much makes it useless for me):
    Note: This version is only recommended for sites which don't allow you to embed JavaScript code. JavaScript is used to record statistics such as screen resolution and where your visitors came from.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    It is logging page visits. But not giving me much info

Statcounter site says (this is from Jan 2013, so not updated for new SmugMug):

Note:Smugmug does not allow the use of Javascript. For this reason, some stats will be unavailable - for example; referring links, keyword analysis, page titles, dowloads, etc...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013

Note:Smugmug does not allow the use of Javascript. For this reason, some stats will be unavailable - for example; referring links, keyword analysis, page titles, dowloads, etc...
    Right, which is why we used Statcounter in the first place. (Sigh rolleyes1.gif).
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Jason, is it logging with the new version? I still can't get mine to work...
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Ok, I'm not sure if I finally did it right, or if SM heroes fixed the bug, but I start seeing hits again. I used basic HTML code, which I put into the HTML content block for the entire site.

I don't see the complete visitor path though, only if they click on the gallery or the home page.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    I think Statcounter is based on javascript code, not css. I know it is on my site. I asked about this in another thread, but haven't gotten a reply yet. If javascript is not going to be allowed, then Statcounter won't work.
    Correct, the most used version is script. I've tested out the html version on one of my test sites and it looks to be tracking hits. I admit, I'm not one for watching stats, so I'm not sure how much info it gives.

On StatCounter go to Project > Edit Settings > Reinstall Code > Default Installation Guide > Basic Tab > Copy the code.
    On your SmugMug site, drop the html block into your site-wide footer, then paste in the StatCounter code.

Here's the basic tab on StatCounter's site:

stat counter.png
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    I admit, I'm not one for watching stats, so I'm not sure how much info it gives.

Statcounter's install guide (that you cited) makes it pretty clear:
    statcounter.jpg

I don't quite understand why there's suddenly a zero-tolerance attitude toward java now, but this is a really good example of something a lot of us are losing. Just my $.02.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    I admit, I'm not one for watching stats, so I'm not sure how much info it gives.
    Rich:

Lots of info that's not available in SM Stats. Navigation path for each visit, IP address, ISP, browser, OS, screen resolution, referral source, new v. return visits...the list is long. Google Analytics gives much (not all) of the same info, but I find Statcounter's UI friendlier. Unless you allow Google to use javascript, GA's going to be crippled as well.

I understand the reasons SM wants to dump javascript. But you could come up with a structured way of accepting a Statcounter account identifier and running the needed script without opening the floodgates to javascript anarchy. deal.gif
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I installed the smugmug StatCounter code in an HTML object and it seems to work same as always.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    I installed the smugmug StatCounter code in an HTML object and it seems to work same as always.

Cheers,

You can see visitor paths?
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Yes, but visitors are visiting my old version of smugmug yet. Perhaps the data is collected there and it will be different when I unveil?
    I wont know for sure till the time comes.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    Yes, but visitors are visiting my old version of smugmug yet. Perhaps the data is collected there and it will be different when I unveil?

You won't see any difference unless you changed the statcounter code on your legacy site. Updating on the new site doesn't change anything until it's unveiled.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    It seems a solution is indeed in the works! THANK YOU!
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 19, 2013
    StatCounter is now implemented. Check the Stats tab in your Account Settings.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    Thanks! It's now working.