Options

[Completed] Wufoo forms, stat counter & Vimeo

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited August 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
As we work on JavaScript and all its complications and restrictions, we can quickly build content blocks in new SmugMug for some of the most popular requests: Wufoo forms, Statcounter and Vimeo (that one doesn't get mentioned on dgrin much but we hear about it elsewhere).

Unless something unexpected happens, these should be ready in days, not weeks.

I hope you can sympathise with how much better this is for 95% of customers than sending them to dgrin and having them copy and paste JavaScript, which they'll never do.

BTW, I got an earful on the phone this afternoon from a customer who blames us for not moderating dgrin. I believe her words were, "Some of those people are crazy."

Comments

• Options
    WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Nice .. Wufoo forms should be a popular addition.
  • Options
    JCphotographyJCphotography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I just used HTML box in the footer to display my statcounter
  • Options
    JamesGPhotoJamesGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    What about ISSUU publications??
    James Geiger M. Ed.
    "Being a photographer is not about taking a photograph, it is about being curious about life."
    ~ Jared Platt
    http://www.jamesgeigerphoto.com
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    THANK YOU for implementing the full Statcounter!
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    As we work on JavaScript and all its complications and restrictions, we can quickly build content blocks in new SmugMug for some of the most popular requests: Wufoo forms, Statcounter and Vimeo (that one doesn't get mentioned on dgrin much but we hear about it elsewhere).

I hope you can sympathise with how much better this is for 95% of customers than sending them to dgrin and having them copy and paste JavaScript, which they'll never do.

BTW, I got an earful on the phone this afternoon from a customer who blames us for not moderating dgrin. I believe her words were, "Some of those people are crazy."

Yes, having many of the new features baked in is a huge upgrade!!! Obviously there is a different perspective for some of the legacy users who relished in these self-help tutorials, scripts, hacks and the like. But for the larger user base it was arcane knowledge reserved for the elite tinkerers. Obviously they took great pride in all they could tweak themselves. But attaining such functionality via yet 'another' custom javascript change was making matters worse for an ever increasing user base. In addition it was not a very scalable, extensible or maintainable approach. Though it did allow for some great creativity and unique functional behaviors. I had a number of potential SM customers who liked my legacy site ask me how they could do something similar. And I honestly didn't even know where to begin. All the hours, tweaks and changes began to sort of blend together. So it was difficult to pass on even to friends, especially if they didn't like coding or have the time required to do it.

Regarding the customer's last statement I was pretty surprised by the level, tone and repetitive nature of some of the rant threads. I guess you want to allow for freedom of expression which is great. But there seemed to be a handful of loud individuals with specific axes to grind unwilling to listen to reason, especially if it deviated at all from their wishes or senses of entitlement. Oh well, I guess you take the good with the bad and learn to make lemonade. :D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited August 8, 2013

Excellent clap.gif Glad to hear these are coming soon.

Even experienced programmers would rather enter something into a text box than copy and paste code. thumb.gif

She must be new here. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yay :)
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    MantaManta Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Thank you. I'm surprised you haven't heard more Vimeo requests. I know my legacy site has a HTML page with embedded links to all my videos. So that and Statcounter adds are very welcomed!

I started playing around last night with customization and after some playing, it does become more intuitive. Though the people on dgrin (excluding the "crazies") are a great resource too for sticking points and CSS.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Thanks for the update and quick fix.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 8, 2013
    StatCounter turns out to be a problem. Their JS is, to put it mildly, horrible. We're very hesitant to support the full version, which requires the terrible JS. But adding the basic version where it is focused on image hits, is certainly possible.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    JSmockJSmock Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    We can already add the basic version, I have it on my unveiled site, but it is as close to worthless as they come. I need the full JS version really bad.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    JSmock wrote: »
    We can already add the basic version, I have it on my unveiled site, but it is as close to worthless as they come. I need the full JS version really bad.

Very curious what Statcounter gives you that GA doesn't? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Andy, I've used it on 20 or more sites for a lot of years and it just fits my way of doing things.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    StatCounter turns out to be a problem. Their JS is, to put it mildly, horrible. We're very hesitant to support the full version, which requires the terrible JS. But adding the basic version where it is focused on image hits, is certainly possible.
    SM stats already give us image hits, better than Statcounter in fact, which misses slideshows. The basic version is not worth using, as far as I can see.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »

:(

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    KQuinlanKQuinlan Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    On the topic of Google Analytics... Is there any way to implement the full google analytics code? I believe on the legacy smugmug I had a a javascript addon, I think to get full functionality. Currently with my Google Analytics ID in smugmug, I am getting a limited version of the stats. I used to track what keywords people got to my site by, now almost all the hits show up as "Direct Traffic" instead of the search traffic that I know they are. In Legacy Smugmug, I would have a list of the 20 or 30 keywords that people found parts of my site from that day.... That was the main reason I was using GA.
    Visit Kevin On - Twitter | Facebook | Google + | Pinterest
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hmm.. I would hope to have access to the full Google analytics. +1 to adding this if needed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Very curious what Statcounter gives you that GA doesn't? ear.gif
    That warm and fuzzy feeling of doing exactly what I was doing five years ago, maybe? Don't laugh--when you get older, this isn't a bad thing at all. mwink.gif

Seriously, as far as I can see, GA doesn't let you look at the flow of an individual visit, which can be interesting. Otherwise, I think all the data are there if you know where to look. I suppose I could live without Statcounter as long as GA retains its full functionality.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    That warm and fuzzy feeling of doing exactly what I was doing five years ago, maybe? Don't laugh--when you get older, this isn't a bad thing at all. mwink.gif

Ain't that the truth. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013

Seriously, as far as I can see, GA doesn't let you look at the flow of an individual visit, which can be interesting. Otherwise, I think all the data are there if you know where to look. I suppose I could live without Statcounter as long as GA retains its full functionality.

Yes, that is what I like to use on statcounter as well - visitor paths.

I don't know how to use GA even though I've had an account for a long time :( I don't understand the reports..

Been using SC for a looooooong time and understand how it works.

• Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Andy is old enough to be a gandpa. Oh wait :giggle
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Andy is old enough to be a gandpa. Hh wait :giggle

:smack :rutt :rutt :rutt
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013

This is one function I check often. I use both, and I find they both have various tools I like to use. Neither stands completely alone, in fact, sometimes they do not jive together at all. On a day to day though, I use Statcounter. I have it on all my sites, and it's always nice to see an overview of how all of them are doing on one page.

main.png
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Ugh, this is one of those times when I hope we're doing the right thing by responding to customer requests.

Dana is working on this but trying to modify their code so it doesn't have performance ramifications and and conflict with our JavaScript. In a few days I an update you on his progress, but it gives me heartburn to pull him from other projects.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    I remain confused to what Smugmug's approach to javascript actually is. sounds like the focus is as much on vetting code and only letting through 'approved' apps, as it is on adding in a simple way for site owners to add functionality to their sites. Is the performance issue one that will affect sites that don't use that code?
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    On the other hand, I just got a demo of the Wufoo forms from Mike and they are cool, and I know a lot of customers want them. He feels he's close to submitting them to QA, maybe tonight.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Ugh, this is one of those times when I hope we're doing the right thing by responding to customer requests.

Just so you don't think I want this feature for an arbitrary reason, let me explain why I use the visitor paths. As I am sure you're aware advertising on wedding sites can be pricey. When I see someone came from of the services I pay for I like to see just what they do on my site. It's one of the reasons I was so certain I wanted my calendar & map page, because I can SEE that potential clients use it. I can see what galleries are the most popular when they check out my work, and I will then tailor my ad space on the sites they came from by using the more popular images. I also use it to decide who will be getting my money next year. Right now there is one very expensive service that I get hardly any traffic from, and by seeing their visitor paths I also see it's just hits to the main page and not even to my wedding services section. I'm assuming their using a bot so my "hit counts" THEY keep track of look legit.

I'm sorry you're stressing. Come to Madison and I'll take you to some of the best breweries you could imagine:slurp.
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    awesome. happy to see the quick response to requests.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    As as show of faith, I'll unveil my new site tonight after a few more tweaks on the back end. Not that it's anything grand, or anything...
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013

Dana is working on this but trying to modify their code so it doesn't have performance ramifications and and conflict with our JavaScript. In a few days I an update you on his progress, but it gives me heartburn to pull him from other projects.

Thank you!!! bowdown.gif