Options

Tense photojournalism in Newton, MA

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 23, 2005 in The Big Picture
This coming Saturday evening, the drama group at Newton South, my son's high school is presenting a play called The Laramie Project. Our local paper, The Newton Tab has an article ablut this here.
In short, there is likely to be a pretty intense demonstration and counter deomonstation outside the school before, during, and after the play.

I'm thinking of going to take pictures of this event. I have two questions
  1. Supposedly the people coming to demonstrate at the play are very litigious. How much trouble can they make for me if I'm just shooting pictures of their demonstartion?
  2. OK, if you can get past that one and you live in the Boston area, want to join me? Obviously this is a different kind of photo opportunity than going to Bryce and Zion. But it's not the kind of thing that happens around here very often.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    I forget if it was here or over on dpreview, but someone had recently shot a similarly-planned political confrontation. They made sure to wear nutural clothing, keep quiet and not be obvious about which "side" they might agree with more. They weren't bothered, iirc, and came out with an "objective" set of photos covering the people.

Given that your son's in the play, that may be difficult for you - I don't know. Your call there.

As for litigation... well, if they're in a public place and obviously want to be seen... ya'd like to think that photographers wouldn't be a problem. But tempers can flare. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Given that your son's in the play, that may be difficult for you - I don't know. Your call there.

He's not in the play, but is interested in joining me to take pictures.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Ah yes, I apologise. I misread this
    rutt wrote:
    the drama group Newton South, my son's high school is presenting a play
    as "...my son's high school drama group..."
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    StevenV wrote:
    Ah yes, I apologise. I misread this
    as "...my son's high school drama group..."

Not that he wouldn't be in this play if he were into drama. My family is devoutly Unitarian.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 20, 2005
    Rutt:

This Reverend Phelps is a horrible man who advocates violence and death. I only hope you exercise extreme caution and prepare to defend yourself from physical abuse, not becasue you carry a camera, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Many a vicious attack has broken out at other rallys he has organized and almost always begun by his minions.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    From what I have been able to find out, there is likely to be more police there that night than in the rest of the western suburbs of Boston. Probably more than everyone else, demonstrators, actors, other students, parents, and other bystanders.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Wow, Rutt. Amazing that someone like Phelps...it's just disgusting what comes out of his mouth. Hopefully you can be some small part in showing him "the inherent dignity and worth of every human being." Or at least your photos can. I suppose even his inherent dignity and worth? That might be tough...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    If you decide to go
    .. make sure you are dressed and easily recognized as a media member. Don't hide you camera! Instead, put on your baddest lens, carry the tripod, spare body, lens bag with a bold CANON type, possibly a badge, The latter can be self-made, who cares. I was recently asked several times at the public happenings whom do I represent (since my 20D with 300mm lens was obviously noticeable compared to ELF's, Casios, T1s and other subcompacts:-), and each time "Digital Photography Review" was a perfectly satisfying answer:-).

In other words, be the journalist. The protestants, whoever they are, WANT to be covered, so you'll be be more safe if you openly position yourself as a photojournalist, rather than trying to sneak in..
    This type of event is actually a very rare case to get close to the crowd, shoot openly, "in your face", and get away with it:-)
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    And I live in Charleston! No dirt and no demonstrations! We just don't try hard enough.

I would love to go with you! Cool idea re getting a badge, you would have to make it and then laminate it now, too late to get it on the internet.

ginger (hey, take care!)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    OK, if you can get past that one and you live in the Boston area, want to join me? Obviously this is a different kind of photo opportunity than going to Bryce and Zion. But it's not the kind of thing that happens around here very often.
    I live in Newton, actually. I'd love to come shoot (if you'd allow a Nikon shooter mwink.gif ), but I'll be in Wisconsin this weekend.

I went by the courthouse in Cambridge at 11:30 the night before gay marriage went legal there. There were maybe 50 people with the "God hates ---" posters and several thousand on the other side. In between there was a very large, intimidating group of stormtroopers with full riot gear marching up and down. What a spectacle.

This won't be that big, but I'd guess that no matter how many people this guy buses in, he'll be outnumbered and seriously. Welcome to the blue states, Phelps. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 22, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    .. make sure you are dressed and easily recognized as a media member. Don't hide you camera! Instead, put on your baddest lens, carry the tripod, spare body, lens bag with a bold CANON type, possibly a badge, The latter can be self-made, who cares. I was recently asked several times at the public happenings whom do I represent (since my 20D with 300mm lens was obviously noticeable compared to ELF's, Casios, T1s and other subcompacts:-), and each time "Digital Photography Review" was a perfectly satisfying answer:-).

In other words, be the journalist. The protestants, whoever they are, WANT to be covered, so you'll be be more safe if you openly position yourself as a photojournalist, rather than trying to sneak in..
    This type of event is actually a very rare case to get close to the crowd, shoot openly, "in your face", and get away with it:-)
    HTH
    I think you are absolutely right, Nik. Be forthright in shooting. I would also suggest bringing several close Samoan friends along too!! H 'gus will explain why Samoan's make good bodyguards:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2005
    Nik's advice is good, but I decided to modify a little. I'm a professional photograher. My dgrin pro account actually does have sales. I'm covering the even as a freelance photojournalist. Both statements are absolutely true. I like truth, especially when dealing with litigious people.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Nik's advice is good, but I decided to modify a little. I'm a professional photograher. My dgrin pro account actually does have sales. I'm covering the even as a freelance photojournalist. Both statements are absolutely true. I like truth, especially when dealing with litigious people.

Rutt, the question I get is "who do you do the freelance for?". I am just trying to memorize the words, Digital Photography Review.

And/or the local paper..............if they have ever, ever used any of your photos. Then you could be doing it on speculation.

I stammer, I think the badge is a great idea! You can get them on the internet, or make them yourself, as a person with a disability and a "certified" service dog (a dog certified to be a service dog does not exist), but the public thinks it does, sooooooooooooooo, to shut people up, lots of people go the "make their own, or order" a badge saying the darn dog is certified.

In reality a dog can be certified, but only that it was trained by X group.

If I can remember, I am going to get me a photographer's thing. I will have Bill have it made through the company he works for, but I would get one just so I don't have to talk. As I say, I get nervous. And the less you say the better. You want to look as though you belong there. And once you start shooting, you will probably feel that way.

and I would not worry about being sued: sued for WHAT? I would only worry about being kicked out, or kicked, smile.

ginger (enjoy)

and please post the results ASAP
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Rutt,

This is in a public place, and news worthy. I can't believe there is a need for a release on any kind.

Although I heve no experience with this, I agree with Nikolai. Try and look the part of a profesional photographer. You may even want to make up an official badge, (no lies needed just the truth) no one will actually read it. All they will see is a big official badge clipped to your jacket/ vest, etc. ( I made a badge awhile ago and it has many layers. If you would like to take a look at this, and even modify and use it, let me know and i will e-mail it to you.

I would also sugest not making eye contact or talking to the demonstrators. If you must respond, I would be polite and calm, simply say you are there to cover the event, and are not taking sides, or maybe your not permitted to take sides while covering the event. Maybe even give them a little wink after that statement and walk off. Let them make what they want of the gesture. Keep moving. Be alert.

The goal here is to take photos, not get into any confrontations!

Good luck, and keep safe.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2005
    My plan is to hide among the professional press corps. I've done that before and it works great.

I also take the opportunity to watch what they are doing. I always learn something by doing that.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Rutt,
    Shoot me a PM, I'll respond with my information, we had this same play brought to a place where I'm a police officer. I'll explain what we did and what the public did. I however have to work tonight and I will respond in the morning.
  • Options
    Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Where's Rutt?
    Been following this thread. Where's Rutt? Hope your OK and where are the pics?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2005
    Stay tuned. Posting now.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2005
    If not now, when?