Options

No show

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 24, 2005 in People
41153073-L.jpg

Welcome to the life of the freelance photojournalist. Last night, the local highschool drama group staged a performance of The Laramie Project. This is a play about the funeral of Mathew Shepard, an openly gay boy who was murdered 7 years ago. This funeral was picketed by a group led by Fred Phelps, which calles itself "The Westboro Baptist Church". You can read a story from last week in our local paper for background.

The shortest version of the story is Phelps and his group didn't show up. In fact, they phoned the police and the school office earlier in the day to inform them that they wouldn't. Apparently, they had bigger fish to fry: a military funeral for a soldier killed in Iraq. They protest at these with signs that say, "God Hates America." Just in case there was any real question whether this is a red state vs blue state issue. These people just like to be hated, as far as I can tell.

There is a better, more subtle version of the story. Standing outside in the heavy cold rain, I learned quite a bit about the town I live in. I learned about the Newton police. They cruised the school regularly all afternoon and showed up in force starting about 5pm.

41178500-M.jpg

I talked at some length with several of the police. They wanted to know who I was and why was I there.

41151559-M.jpg

I was very honest with them about this. I told them that I live in Newton, have children in the Newton Schools, am a professional photographer but it's not my day job at all, that I love photography, and was hoping to be able to get some pictures that would tell an interesting story.

41178322-L.jpg

Knowing this about me pretty much opened all doors as far as the police were concerned. Where did I live? Oh, yeah, that used to be on my beat. Did my son know your daughter? And, BTW, is that the new Canon 5D?

At Newton South High School, there is a chapter of a student group called "The Gay/Straight Alliance", GSA. I knew about this group, but never gave them much thought. But about half a dozen of them showed up about when the police did, were let into the school and made hundreds of yellow ribbons, which are a symbol of tolerance in the play. As people started to show up for the play, the GSA members stood at the entrance and offered them these ribbons, which were pretty much universally accepted.

41153171-L.jpg

The local press did show up modest way. This man is Tom Mountain, a columnist for The Newton Tab and about as far toward the right as it gets in Newton, especially on the issue of school support of alternative sexual orientations and public education in gereral. Google "Tom Mountain Newton TAB" if you are interested in finding out what he thinks.

41178885-M.jpg

The police were ready for local news TV crews; they scouted the event, at least one with a helicopter, found out Phelps wasn't coming, and then didn't come themselves. There was a stringer from Getty Images, though.

41183879-L.jpg

Barney Frank is our congressman (says a lot about us right there, eh?) He turned up.

41179049-L.jpg

In fact, he was the only person I saw decline a yellow ribbon. He sayed he didn't need to wear one; that he'd been wearing one for the last 10 years, which I suppose is more than true in a metaphorical but important way.

41151856-L.jpg

I came away pretty proud of my community. The police were great. If Phelp's group had shown up, they would have been relegated to a police enclosure in the dark and rain across the street from the high school, within sight of the entrance, but not really within earshot. 20 of Newton's 150 police were present, and they had contingency plans to be able to draw many more from neighboring communities. The police were professional, true, but they were also members of the community. More than once they offered help to the GSA kids, let them into the locked building, treated them the way responsible and friendly adults treat the good kids who live in their neighborhood. This was awful different from my Vietnam war era memories of NYC police (but remember I was an angry adolescent at the time.)

41178597-L.jpg

Newton isn't perfect, God knows. My kids are eager to grow up and live somewhere more interesting. But I think eventually they will look back on their home twon with some pride.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Thanks for the rest of the story, Rutt!
    Even though there was a "no show", you still told an interesting story with good pictures. Thanks!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Thanks for sharing Rutt. Nice pics, fine story telling.

I think it's great that you have the guts to do something like this even if they didn't show.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Hi, Rutt, good photos of the "non" event, event, smile. I mean it still was an event and you did get the photos. They are good, too.

I am going to have to get that 1.8 lens sometime, just for something like this (that is the cheap version of your lens. My next more expensive lens is going to have to be a good to go as a macro, I think there is an 85, or something. I am going nuts right now wanting one).

Anyway, good photos! Thanks for sharing it all and rapidly.

My experience with the police lately has not been good. And that is for non issues like having all 4 tires off the street. I have been wondering where the friendly policeman is, the one we were all taught was/is our friend, when we were kids.

They must all be in your town, smile. I did run into one nice one on one of the barrier islands, but in general, they all seem to have a chip on their shoulders, quite defensive/offensive. And I was an adult in the 60s, in my 20s, I saw the cops attack a bunch of peaceful college kids.....with a permit to march. In detroit they came in on horses with their clubs swinging. We, my siblings and I, had left a funeral to join the march. We rapidly became mourners at the funeral again. It was not a good situation.

But in those days, I still ran into nice cops. Not lately.

I am glad they were at your school last night, the nice ones.

thanks again for sharing,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Very educational!
    Rutt,
    I think you did a great job of covering this! And the great story!thumb.gif
    Thank for sharing and congratulations on a job well done!clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 23, 2005
    Interesting series John.xzicon_smile_cool.gif You didn't use any flash either??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting series John.xzicon_smile_cool.gif You didn't use any flash either??

No flash for these. If the protestors had shown up and been standing out in the dark cold rain across the street, I think I would have needed a flash and a flashlight to find my way. Unless the TV people showed up with some bright lights of their own. But at the school entrance there was quite a bit of artificial light and that worked better than I would have guessed. I watched the Getty Images stringer. He never actually fired his flash. The police images were shot before it got totally dark.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited October 23, 2005
    Nice job with the photojournalism there John. thumb.gif Thanks for showing us.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Nice captures of the event. It was still an event, just without hostilities and it is still an interesting story. I'm glad it was peaceful and went on without incident.

Thanks for sharing your story,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with all the above comments. Good job.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 24, 2005
    Excellent report Rutt. Regardless of their feelings about Newton your kids can certainly be proud of a thoughtful and compassionate father. Nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    *YOUR* story is a show, rutt!!!
    Great work!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    Thank you very much everyone. Your comments all mean a lot to me.

I have made some changes and factual improvements to the story. In particular, I added a photo of the Newton TAB columnist, Tom Mountain, identified him by name, and was a little more accurate in explaining his political position.
    If not now, when?