Options

Point/Counterpoint

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited September 28, 2005 in People
Hi you'll,

There was a peace march in Melbourne, Florida on Saturday and both sides were represented. I shot a few pics as best I could as I was holding my sign with one hand and shooting with the other. These pics are intended to capture the spirit of the event from both sides. I will not respond to and do not want political responses. Feel free to PM me any political reaction you have. Thank you.

getting ready for the march

37604468-L.jpg

37604469-O.jpg

the rally
37604476-O.jpg

37604473-O.jpg

37604475-O.jpg

37604479-O.jpg

37604477-O.jpg

37604480-O.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2005
    :lurk
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    Great serial, Harry!
    I think I recognize one of the photos on a poster....

Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    Great serial, Harry!

Spasibo,
    Yuri
    Thanks Yuri and you have excellent eyes. That pic does look familiar. :D
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Great serial, Harry!

Spasibo,
    Yuri
    good eyes, harry!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Great "being there", Harry! Let's see if I can say this without politics, only photojournalism. This is the beginning of a huge story. The country is very polarized. We are going to see a lot more photojournalism opportunities like this one. When people look back at this time, they will remember just how angry people were at each other. I'd say we are in August, 1664.

I did shoot a very small and sedate antiwar protest last winter. Look at how different things were then: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7328

So you inspired me. I'm not going to miss bening at this kind of thing with my camera again. Thank you.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    good eyes, harry!
    Yuri was the dude with the good eyes but mine ain't too bad either. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    Nice series Harry
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Nice series. What I like is that here you show opposing sides and they look like they are across the street from one another. No riot cops, no maltof coctails and to physical clashes. I does look like a few choice words were sent across the way but no harm done. Quite peacefull:D.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi you'll,

There was a peace march in Melbourne, Florida on Saturday and both sides were represented. I shot a few pics as best I could as I was holding my sign with one hand and shooting with the other. These pics are intended to capture the spirit of the event from both sides. I will not respond to and do not want political responses. Feel free to PM me any political reaction you have. Thank you.

37604469-O.jpg

37604477-O.jpg
    Hello Harry !
    I like these two Well captured pictures the best.

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
  • Options
    rutt wrote:
    Great "being there", Harry! Let's see if I can say this without politics, only photojournalism. This is the beginning of a huge story. The country is very polarized. We are going to see a lot more photojournalism opportunities like this one. When people look back at this time, they will remember just how angry people were at each other. I'd say we are in August, 1664.

I did shoot a very small and sedate antiwar protest last winter. Look at how different things were then: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=7328

So you inspired me. I'm not going to miss bening at this kind of thing with my camera again. Thank you.
    Thanks Rutt. I have to tell you I was thinking of your earlier series when I was taking these because it had inspired me. I particpated in protests in the early 70's and I'm seeing a very similar polarization again.
    Harry
  • Options
    gluwater wrote:
    Nice series Harry
    Thank you Nick. It was kind of strange taking shots of unfeathered subjects. :):
    Harry
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    What a very thought provoking set. Great journalistic work from you Harry..And yes I recognise the photo on that poster too. clap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Nice series Harry. The Herons and the Egrets square off.........rolleyes1.gif .

Practice on the birds, now you are going for the real thing. I love photojournalism!

Nothing going on here in that "direction". A group went to Washington DC.

ginger

politics/politics/mumble/mumble The Herons and the Egrets square off. A real coup would be a photo of the OSTRICH!:): and the vultureseek7.gif , etc.......... (you know there is no way that what I said could not be taken differently by different folks.................I give up, really good photos. Great photo ops for you!)

gotta get my coffee! CAn't do this w/o coffee. Who woulda thought. Twice in one lifetime. Did anyone see the ETV thing on Bob Dylan last night? The second part is this week, too, I think. I have my DVR on it.

Hey, Harry, did you know I got a KPOTD???? Now that is the real stuff of concern here.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Nice series. What I like is that here you show opposing sides and they look like they are across the street from one another. No riot cops, no maltof coctails and to physical clashes. I does look like a few choice words were sent across the way but no harm done. Quite peacefull:D.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris
    Hey Chris,

Thanks. Both side were across the street and across the park from one an other. The police stayed to the side but were visible in case they were needed. Fortunately it stayed tense but peaceful.
    Harry
  • Options
    Hello Harry !
    I like these two Well captured pictures the best.

Bye,
    Peter Dumont
    Thanks Peter. Great hearing from you. wave.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    Always love your work Harry and these are no exception.
    Really torn on the subject though headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

this sorta thing makes me remember 69 when I returned, didn't like the feelings then, don't like em now and worse, hate not having any decent answers, feel so stupid sometimes on worldy matters.

I do know that Laura and I pray for your Sons (everyones) safe return daily. Isn't he coming home on leave soon?
  • Options
    rahmonster wrote:
    What a very thought provoking set. Great journalistic work from you Harry..And yes I recognise the photo on that poster too. clap.gif
    Thanks you. I found it very interesting to shoot both sides.
    Harry
  • Options
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Nice series Harry. The Herons and the Egrets square off.........rolleyes1.gif .

Practice on the birds, now you are going for the real thing. I love photojournalism!

Nothing going on here in that "direction". A group went to Washington DC.

ginger

politics/politics/mumble/mumble The Herons and the Egrets square off. A real coup would be a photo of the OSTRICH!:): and the vultureseek7.gif , etc.......... (you know there is no way that what I said could not be taken differently by different folks.................I give up, really good photos. Great photo ops for you!)

gotta get my coffee! CAn't do this w/o coffee. Who woulda thought. Twice in one lifetime. Did anyone see the ETV thing on Bob Dylan last night? The second part is this week, too, I think. I have my DVR on it.

Hey, Harry, did you know I got a KPOTD???? Now that is the real stuff of concern here.

Thanks Ginger and congrats on your KPOTD
    Harry
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    Good coverage Harry! I applaud your dedication!

Each shot is a story in itself!
  • Options
    bfjr wrote:
    Always love your work Harry and these are no exception.
    Really torn on the subject though headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

this sorta thing makes me remember 69 when I returned, didn't like the feelings then, don't like em now and worse, hate not having any decent answers, feel so stupid sometimes on worldy matters.

I do know that Laura and I pray for your Sons (everyones) safe return daily. Isn't he coming home on leave soon?
    Hey Ben,

Thanks. I came home in 70 and I later ran Vietnam Veteran's outreach centers in Harlem and the South Bronx for NYC. Part of my job was developing job opportunities for vets. I will always remember talking to these patriotic businessmen who loved to wear their American flag lapel pins. They loved vets up to the point when I asked them to hire some. Then it was a contest to see who would break the record of getting me out of their office the fastest. mwink.gif

Jason should be on leave sometime in November.
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Ben,

Thanks. I came home in 70 and I later ran Vietnam Veteran's outreach centers in Harlem and the South Bronx for NYC. Part of my job was developing job opportunities for vets. I will always remember talking to these patriotic businessmen who loved to wear their American flag lapel pins. They loved vets up to the point when I asked them to hire some. Then it was a contest to see who would break the record of getting me out of their office the fastest. mwink.gif

Jason should be on leave sometime in November.

November should be good month then.

Harry not so sure I want to reup for these feelings, but I've seen, felt, tasted that wall!
    My fear today is we may be mixing fresh mortar for a new wall, and I want to be wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2005
    Trish323 wrote:
    Good coverage Harry! I applaud your dedication!

Each shot is a story in itself!
    Thank you Trish. These events provide lots of photo ops.
    Harry