Options

Cold, windy, getting dark

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited September 28, 2005 in People
But these people were standing on the corner in Newton Center, MA.

16856362-L.jpg

They need to make their point, even though they must feel pretty marginalized just now (I do.)

16857543-L.jpg

I think they are going to be standing there every Thursday evening for a good long time.

16857580-L.jpg

Perhaps they are Quakers or Unitarians?

16857598-L.jpg

I noticed that none of them would every see 50 (or maybe even 60) again.

16857621-L.jpg

Are there kids doing this anywhere now?

16857518-L.jpg

16856313-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Nice story that you captured very well. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see parts of america the media doesn't cover because "it won't sell."
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    That is not happening here. I don't hear about it in other places. The few times I see something covered it is rather small like that group.

I am surprised myself. But I think this is a different America than it was in the sixties.

Surprisingly there are people who disagree with me on things as strongly as I disagree with them. There is no cohesiveness. What is interesting is the age of the people in your photos. Why are the young complacent? I don't know. Maybe they are just trying to survive, concentrating on getting a job, etc.

I don't know if this thread belongs here, perhaps it could be moved to wide angle, or whatever it is.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    I REALLY like this one.
    16857598-M.jpg

The look in the eyes is very telling. I also like how the subject is looking away, and that the background is relatively clutter-free. I sense a real sadness in this picture.

Thanks for sharing 'em.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    Rutt, these are all nice portraits and I was glad to arrive at the final shot that revealed their "mission". Thankfully people aren't giving up. Thanks from one blue state to another.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    You know, those of us trapped in a state colored red, some of us are blue.

Yes, I was glad to know, too, what they were protesting. There are so many issues, IMHO.

With the age group, could have been social security. I am terrible with old people. In about a year I will join them.

g (I like the photos, too, Rutt)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 4, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    You know, those of us trapped in a state colored red, some of us are blue.
    Awww G I knew you were a girl after my heart... iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Rutt I love three and four.. number one looks a little soft to me, do some curve magic on it.. Great shots and a great story..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Rutt I love three and four.. number one looks a little soft to me, do some curve magic on it.. Great shots and a great story..
    Thank you, Lynn. You are right that the first shot looks a little soft, but I think the reason is interesting. Here's a 100% crop of the man's face:

16885404-L.jpg

Actually, it's nice and sharp, execpt for his thick glasses which make his eyes look out of focus. I don't really know what to say about this. Once the eyes aren't sharp, so much else looks soft. Yet the photographer did his job here.

I tried playing with the curves to increase contrast. I got this:

16885434-L.jpg

Does it help? I think we should just get a law passed to ban wearing glasses in public places (like during the Cultural Revolution.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thank you, Lynn. You are right that the first shot looks a little soft, but I think the reason is interesting. Here's a 100% crop of the man's face:

Actually, it's nice and sharp, execpt for his thick glasses which make his eyes look out of focus. I don't really know what to say about this. Once the eyes aren't sharp, so much else looks soft. Yet the photographer did his job here.

I tried playing with the curves to increase contrast. I got this:

Does it help? I think we should just get a law passed to ban wearing glasses in public places (like during the Cultural Revolution.)
    yeah I see what you mean..in fact.. I think you've gone as far as you can with this one.. he's just a faded kinda color..:D
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    I like the 100% crop. It even works with the journalism approach. Some further away, and a few closer. Closer I see more emotion.

g
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like the 100% crop. It even works with the journalism approach. Some further away, and a few closer. Closer I see more emotion.

g
    Thanks, Ginger. I noticed that I liked it, too, when I did it. It's also very clear in the cropped version that the focus isn't soft, just the glasses make the eyes soft.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2005
    Hiya Rutt,
    Those are some cool, crispy portraits you got there!
    I really like them because they definitely tell the story well, and are amazing as well. To me, #4 is really *mint*, that's some great expression you've captured, and it's also commendable for breaking the rules in the right way.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    But these people were standing on the corner in Newton Center, MA.

16857518-L.jpg
    Well captured, Rutt !

Thanks for sharing.

Peter Dumont
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2005
    Gosh, it looks cold!

And all those coats! I thought for a moment that this was/is NOW, I thought how different our weather systems are. The heck with politics, weather......

ginger
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Wonderful photos
    I loved the feeling of these pics - the cold - the disappointment in the people's faces. The fact that we could clearly see the expressions in the faces and each told its own story. Well done. What camera did you use (as i can't find this info). Sclap.gif
  • Options
    Sask2005 wrote:
    I loved the feeling of these pics - the cold - the disappointment in the people's faces. The fact that we could clearly see the expressions in the faces and each told its own story. Well done. What camera did you use (as i can't find this info). Sclap.gif

1D Mark II with 24-70mm f/2.8L

Here is my proofsheet gallery for this shoot:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/420485
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    Thanks
    rutt wrote:
    1D Mark II with 24-70mm f/2.8L

Here is my proofsheet gallery for this shoot:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/420485
    Thanks - love your web site - if you don't mind me asking (as I have been looking at a better place to host my photos) which plan do you use with smugmug and do you sell any on-line?

Thanks
    bruce