Margulis LAB Color Book - Reading group

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 2, 2010 in Finishing School
I finally have my copy of Dan Margulis' new book, Photoshop LAB Color : The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace. This book is a runaway bestseller and I know that at least some dgrinners have it.

What about organizing a reading group to help us all get through it? We can rea a chapter a week (or two weeks?) and share questions applications of the ideas to our own shots, &etc. I think we are more likely as a group to get through it with good understanding than as indivituals.

Who is up for this? Anyone?

MOD edit: use this thread if you have any questions about the reading group, or the book in general. rutt will edit this post, right here, and add in the links to the discussions on each chapter.

Chapter 1: Basic LAB curve steepening.

Chapter 2: Don't Panic; LAB by the numbers

Chapter 3: Variations in the basic recipe

Chapter 4: Changing/correcting the color balance

Chapter 5: Noise reduction and sharpening

Chapter 6: Myths, pitfalls, complexities

Chapter 7: LAB Workflow

Chapter 8: The Impossible Retouch; Fixing blown skies, facial highlights and more

Chapter 9: The LAB advantage in selecting and masking

Chapter 11: Retouching in LAB

Chapter 12: The Man from Mars & Command, Control, Click

Chapter 14: Once for Contrast and Once for Color

Chapter 16: A technique for portraits

Beside the chapter discussions per se, there are also some interesting related threads. In particular:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19548
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19588
If not now, when?

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I finally have my copy of Dan Margulis' new book, Photoshop LAB Color : The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace. This book is a runaway bestseller and I know that at least some dgrinners have it.

What about organizing a reading group to help us all get through it? We can rea a chapter a week (or two weeks?) and share questions applications of the ideas to our own shots, &etc. I think we are more likely as a group to get through it with good understanding than as indivituals.

Allright, let me go order my copy...I'm in.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 7, 2005
    I'm in!! thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited September 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Allright, let me go order my copy...I'm in.

Ordered. I'll let you know when I'm good to go.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I'm in!

My online order is suggesting it could take 3-5 weeks. I'll check other sources tomorrow. Looking forward to this ...

Brad
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    I started to read last night. It seems the first 5 chapters are easier and each is divided into practice and theory sections. So let's start chapter 1 and see what happens. We'll take it slow so those waiting for books can easily catch up.

There are exercises at the end of each chapter which suggests a possible way to work together on the materials from the chapter. Perhaps we should take turns summerizing the chapters which could also get things started and provide a nice online study guide? Other ideas?
    If not now, when?
    edited September 8, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Perhaps we should take turns summerizing the chapters which could also get things started and provide a nice online study guide? Other ideas?

Excellent idea.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    I'm in

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    edited September 9, 2005
    Would we want to try to have a specific time for an online chat session here on dgrin?

edited September 9, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Would we want to try to have a specific time for an online chat session here on dgrin?

I was imagining a longer timeframe, more like chess by mail. We'd spend a week on each chapter and discussions would span that time. It might make sense to find a time of day when most people will be able to participate so there would be quick turnover, but I think that will self adjust.

I read chapter 1 in two 15 minute sessions over the last two evenings. I was already very familiar with the concepts in this chapter and the technique it teaches is the most common element of my workflow, so perpbably I read it faster than some others will. Dan says the first 5-6 chapters are much easier than what follows and judging by Professional Photoshop there is no reason to doubt this.

Has anyone else finished Chapter 1? I could summarize it and we could get started on it.

Who besides Jim (Pathfinder) actually has the book already?
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    rutt wrote:

You promised me a review.

Is it easier, the same, or what, as the first book?

You know I could just copy your discussions, I would prefer to have the book.

But if it is really a prerequisite to read the first one, I will be free to never have the book, hysterical laughter, here.

What say you all on that? A book group could be the incentive I need to read the second book. And I could see where to get it cheapest: soonest.

ginger (I will let you know what I find on that.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited September 9, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    You promised me a review.

Now that I've read the forward, preface, and first chapter, I can tell you a little. I think everyone who is familiar with postprocessing in Photoshop will get something out of this book, especially the first few chapters. That was also true of Professional Photoshop. From what I can tell the difficulty curve of this book is at least as steep as Professional Photoshop, so I have no doubt that each of us will hit a wall at some point.

I think the basic LAB correction is much easier and more effective than any equivalent in other colorspaces, and Dan agrees. I wrote a tutorial for you, Ginger, more than a year ago: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2042
    Chapter 1 basicailly teaches this technique, shows how to use USM in LAB and then gives some theory to explain why this adjustment is effective in making pictures look more realistic. Dan also explores some non-LAB alternatives to try to acheive the same effect and explains why they are both less effective and harder than the LAB technique.

So the first four chapters or so will be accessable to almost everyone (and very accessable to anyone who has followed my various LAB posts over the last year or so.) After that, well, we'll see.

Amazon has sme used and new, but this is a new book in hot demand, and I think you are going to pay a little more than $33 no matter what you do at this point.

I still think Chapter 1 of Professional Photoshop is essential reading. It explains Dan's basic philosopy of color correction. If you can't get on board with that, you are going to balk at his techniques over and over again.
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    I still think Chapter 1 of Professional Photoshop is essential reading. It explains Dan's basic philosopy of color correction. If you can't get on board with that, you are going to balk at his techniques over and over again.

Thanks, I could do that, but I guess I just want to be one of "the guys".

Overstock has it, and the used/new part of Amazon says it has it in stock. Ebay has it.

It is the shipping that can hurt. Also I still have 5.00 credit at amazon from my challenge win.

don't know what I will do: I have a technique now that is working for me. And I could read your tutorial, but that would not make me "one of the guys".

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited September 9, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Who besides Jim (Pathfinder) actually has the book already?

Mine's scheduled for delivery for Monday, 9/12.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 9, 2005
    I've read the first two chapters -

Getting my head around the a and b color spaces is slowly coming around. I still cna't really look at numbers and know the colors perfectly, but I can find blacks, whites, greys, and warm and cool tones.

I agree that the first chapter is a review of what rutt has been describing here over the last year - steepening the a and b curves, particularly for green scenes of vegetation.

edited September 9, 2005
    Here is how I'd like to proceed. Let's make a thread per chapter and start each thread with a brief synopsis of the chapter. We can take turns writing that.

I'm game for Chapter 1, mostly because I've already done it a number of times. Sounds like Jim might be ready for Chapter 2. If Jim prefers, I'm happy to switch. After that, who's ready?

Does this seem OK to everyone who wants to play?
    If not now, when?
    edited September 14, 2005
    Photoshop LAB reading group -- status
    I've written summaries of chapters 1 and 2 to get discussion off the ground. DavidTo has volunteered to do the same for chapter 3 once he gets his book and has a chance to catch up.

How many people are following? How many have books? How far have you gotten? Any hands up for upcoming chapters?

I'm happy to write summaries, but I think the group will work better if we share this task. I've found that I get a lot out of it in terms of understanding each chapter. I'm also more than willing to help people with these offline...
    If not now, when?
    edited September 17, 2005
    David is pretty far along with a summary of Ch. 3. I expect he'll post the weekend or early next week. Noone has volunteered for Ch. 4 yet, but I think that would be a really good place for someone to jump in. Things are just getting interesting! What about XO? Or Sam? PF? Andy? Who else is lurking in this reading group?

After Ch. 4, it looks like things will be a little more challenging. Now is the time get in the water and start swimming.
    If not now, when?
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    I'd like to join in, but I haven't even finished Chapter 1. Since the book only recently came out, maybe it would be better to slow down a little. Between work, home etc. I haven't had much time for study.

Just a thought, perhaps everyone else is caught up.

Regards,
    It's a good point. I don't want to lose people by going too fast and I really don't want to prevent someone from writing a chapter summary. So plese, can I have a nose count? Who has a book and wants to follow? who will write a chapter summary eventually?

If we make these assignments well in advance, it should give everyone plenty of time.
    If not now, when?
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    You can count my nose in :D I just need to catch up. I'd be glad to summerize a chapter, but the next few weeks for my are somewhat hectic, so I may be lagging behind the rest of the crew. I don't want anyone else to wait just for me.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    Better late than never
    I got it few weeks ago, I'm at the end of Ch3 now. Somehow I missed this thread..:-(
    Any way - I'm in!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    W/o jumping too far ahead, I'd be curious to see if someone can elaborate a little more on the mounted policeman, coming up in a chapter soon (Custom Curves)

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    Nikolai wrote:
    I got it few weeks ago, I'm at the end of Ch3 now. Somehow I missed this thread..:-(
    Any way - I'm in!thumb.gif

How would you like to take Ch. 4 as an assignment, due in a week?
    If not now, when?
    XO-Studios wrote:
    W/o jumping too far ahead, I'd be curious to see if someone can elaborate a little more on the mounted policeman, coming up in a chapter soon (Custom Curves)

XO,

I'm not there yet. What chapter? Want to take it as an assignment? I'll help to the best of my ability all you want, BTW.
    If not now, when?
    Nik agrees to take on Ch. 4 and XO Ch. 5, both with 2 week deadlines (roughly). Nik might get done sooner.

OK, who else wants to do a chapter? Pathfinder? Come on, you could take three weeks to do Ch 6. And I promise to help if you want.
    If not now, when?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 25, 2005
    would like to join your group--

read about lab color and found this forum and group which convinced me to get the book--just got it yesterday--

am willing to take a chapter--

thanks
    george
    gefillmore wrote:
    would like to join your group--

read about lab color and found this forum and group which convinced me to get the book--just got it yesterday--

am willing to take a chapter--

thanks
    george

Chapter 6 is looking for an owner. Maybe 2 weeks from Monday. Can do?
    If not now, when?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    rutt wrote:
    Chapter 6 is looking for an owner. Maybe 2 weeks from Monday. Can do?
    can and will--
  • andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    bought the book yesterday, and have made it through chapters 1 & 2 but feel I need to go back through 2 again

As they say in the intro's this book will be one where you read back and forth a lot rolleyes1.gif
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    I received my book 2 days ago and I am trying to quickly catch up.

I was at first a little put off by the introduction to Dan and his book. It was late at night and it read like an infomercial, that it would reduce my waist line and give me a six pack with only 5 minutes a day excercise :D . I guess I'm always a bit of a skeptic ...

But, it didn't take long to get hooked on Dan's book. The very first picture I tried with the lab curves was remarkable. Yet another tool ...

My question today is that on page 44, he says he prefers using Edit->Convert to Profile, instead of Image->Mode. Is Image->Mode the same thing, but without the dialog box with options?

Brad