Options

LAB Example

andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited October 2, 2005 in Finishing School
OK I posted a message in the critique forums, and mentioned I was going to do some LAB work with it. Well here it is :):

The original image is

36802668-L.jpg

Here is the Image after applying LAB changes, as well as the curves I used

38286853-L.jpg
38288740-M.jpg

OK I could have done better putting the curves together :D

The Blue and green have definitely improved, but I really like the way the colors in the base now have some better definition.

I haven't yet gotten my head around the L channel changes. so didn't change anything there, but I sis apply USM to the L channel

Thoughts, comments?
A Brit among the HAWKEYES
Canon 5D Mk III
Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
My Galleries

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2005
    Did you add a bit of a yellow cast to the base? Maybe try making the B curve a bit shallower than the A curve, to de-emphasize the yellow/blue. Just a touch. The sky shouldn't change much, but you should get a more neutral color in the base. There are more advanced ways to tackle that, but I think you'll get good results trying that.

As for the L curve, well, that controls the luminosity. In LAB you'll see most benefit when you need to increase contrast. It does a good job of that. It's also a very strong adjuster--meaning a little goes a long way and sometimes it lacks the subtlety needed. Your image has a basically good dynamic range, but a touch of steepening may help.

Try something like this. All I did was put an anchor at the center, and then pull the shadows a bit darker. At the same time this lifts the highlights, creating more contrast. A little goes a long way in your image. I liked the change. What do you think?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback!

Unsubtle! Good way to put it! :D

I have been having trouble with the L channel and I understand why now, been doing too much!

I will tweak and see what I come up, and post a new version later
    Canon 5D Mk III
    My Galleries
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    OK new version

Left the A channel as before, put the B channel to the default curve, and used your settings for the L channel. I like the new version, as you say it does change the contrast. Not too sure about the lower left corner now, too dark?.

Of course now I want to go through all the pics I took of Liberty and see what I can do rolleyes1.gif

38295594-L.jpg
    Canon 5D Mk III
    My Galleries
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    OK new version

Left the A channel as before, put the B channel to the default curve, and used your settings for the L channel. I like the new version, as you say it does change the contrast. Not too sure about the lower left corner now, too dark?.

Of course now I want to go through all the pics I took of Liberty and see what I can do rolleyes1.gif

K, now try this:

Go back to your first version where the A and B were moved the same. Anchor your center point and a point that's very close to it on the blue side of (negative) side of the B curve, to lock them in place. Then move the yellow side of the curve radically, as I did in this curve. See how that works for you.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2005
    BTW, I think Rutt's going to kill me for moving through this so quickly and with so little explanation.

The reason's simple, Rutt. You explain it much better than I do! Let's hear it.

Or maybe Rutt'll just tell me I bolluxed it up. Gus, did I spell that right?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    Please post link to a jpeg as close as possible to the original as possible (no sharpening, color correction.) I find it pretty frustrating to work on these small images.
    If not now, when?