Options

forty lashes with a wet noodle for you

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
15524771-Ti.gif

alright you slackers - and yeah, i'm talking to you! *nearly everyone here* could do a better job at responding to orphans - yes, those posts with zero replies that linger linger linger - you can take an extra minute, and come up with a response! remember, those of you that post pics here, you've got to give, to get :deal

btw, when you are viewing a certain forum, say "other cool shots," you can click on "replies" and it'll sort the entire forum by # of replies, highest to lowest. now, next to the word "replies," there will be a little arrow. click on it, and the posts will be sorted from least number of replies to most. you'll easily see all the zeros, simply page forward to get to the most current ones.

thanks in advance for everyone's cooperation here :D

Comments

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, Right now you have about 25 with you as the first reply, what can we say, we're a bunch of slackers.

James.
  • Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Just wait till you post your next picture:D
    andy wrote:
    15524771-Ti.gif

alright you slackers - and yeah, i'm talking to you! *nearly everyone here* could do a better job at responding to orphans - yes, those posts with zero replies that linger linger linger - you can take an extra minute, and come up with a response! remember, those of you that post pics here, you've got to give, to get deal.gif

btw, when you are viewing a certain forum, say "other cool shots," you can click on "replies" and it'll sort the entire forum by # of replies, highest to lowest. now, next to the word "replies," there will be a little arrow. click on it, and the posts will be sorted from least number of replies to most. you'll easily see all the zeros, simply page forward to get to the most current ones.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, Right now you have about 25 with you as the first reply, what can we say, we're a bunch of slackers.

James.

yuh - that's becuase *i* was slacking :smack :andy
  • Options
    pumpkinpumpkin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    there's a couple of things I posted in the API & hacks forum with no replies, so if anyone is feeling particularly virtuous, they could start there ne_nau.gif

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* :D

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 29, 2005
    pumpkin wrote:
    there's a couple of things I posted in the API & hacks forum with no replies, so if anyone is feeling particularly virtuous, they could start there ne_nau.gif

*nudge* *nudge* *wink* :D

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    What, or where are the API & hacks forums?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    What, or where are the API & hacks forums?

right here on dgrin.
  • Options
    pumpkinpumpkin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    mostly the html bug one, but it was mainly directed at the smugmug people or at someone who could correct me and tell me it was intentional :)

the other one ("Idea?") is a little ambitious but would be fun

Edit: by the way, thank you andy :P you're the reason I'm on smugmug in the first place :) I used to hang out on the STF on dpreview and although I didn't use a referral code from you, it was mostly your smugmug account and your account of it (forgive the pun) that made me choose smugmug :)
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    You know, you learn a lot about your own photography when you take the time to look at others. Thanks for the kick in butt andy, it is helping me see my own mistakes by looking at other people's shots.

James.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    One, so many people are posting, it only seems to take a few hours until I see my "orphans" disappear before my eyes.

Harry is pretty good on the nature forum at picking those up: I think he must set aside time for it, as the moderator. A lot of work that would be.

I saw two go down quietly on the landscape forum, that is a more difficult one to get a response to. That was this weekend, I had not posted there, but there were a couple I was following. People were busy posting, but not responding.

I purposely respond on a forum I plan on posting a lot on. I call it cultivation. Kind of like you kiss my @** and I will "the same" for you: only I do it all the time, and so do most of them. I do like Harry and take a moment.

Those orphans can be difficult, though......... And when they are responded to, well, it annoys me that the response can be so enthusiastic, when I have an orphan, the response is usually less enthusiastic. That is just my little rant. I am not good at totally "new" orphans, though I just did respond to one I would not ordinarily have, someone else had, too, so the orphan status was no longer good. I just did that, BEFORE reading this.

I can't be everywhere, though, and I can be slack on some of the other forums. Even the challenge forum, and I do post there.

ginger (about ready to stop with the "cultivating" for awhile.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    Is it ethical to bump your own shots?:hide

(especially the orphans, they get down too low, they will never be responded to)

I hold stuff back trying to figure the best time of day to post, like is it in the evening? Where my "responders" usually are, etc. It has gotten to the point I have held stuff back so long, I have forgotten about it myself.

This can be like a game. And I am not going to post all the tricks. But new people don't know this. They need to respond, especially. If people see that they will do a bump, people will bump them. "Nice photo" is a bump, maybe not an in depth critique, but it gets the photo out there, interest begets interest here on dGrin it seems.

And you know, well this here, this paragraph is a rant, anonymous of course. Some of us will just about die to respond to certain people who get pages and pages of responses..............drives me nuts. And the photos are often good enough that even I respond, besides I want them responding to me. But pages and pages? (There is a trick to help that, not eveyone uses it either, some people just have that magic touch. Kind of like the "rich" get "richer".)

Sorry, someone pirated my thread and wrote the above paragraph, don't know how to erase it.

ginger
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Sorry, someone pirated my thread and wrote the above paragraph, don't know how to erase it.
    ginger
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

:hide
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is it ethical to bump your own shots?:hide

(especially the orphans, they get down too low, they will never be responded to)

I hold stuff back trying to figure the best time of day to post, like is it in the evening? Where my "responders" usually are, etc. It has gotten to the point I have held stuff back so long, I have forgotten about it myself.

This can be like a game. And I am not going to post all the tricks. But new people don't know this. They need to respond, especially. If people see that they will do a bump, people will bump them. "Nice photo" is a bump, maybe not an in depth critique, but it gets the photo out there, interest begets interest here on dGrin it seems.

And you know, well this here, this paragraph is a rant, anonymous of course. Some of us will just about die to respond to certain people who get pages and pages of responses..............drives me nuts. And the photos are often good enough that even I respond, besides I want them responding to me. But pages and pages? (There is a trick to help that, not eveyone uses it either, some people just have that magic touch. Kind of like the "rich" get "richer".)

ginger
    Ginger, I think we are better off going ahead and posting it, someone will pick it up. (maybe) :D Depending on the topic I see nothing wrong with a self bump, if asking for input it is always in place.

James.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Ginger, I think we are better off going ahead and posting it, someone will pick it up. (maybe) :D Depending on the topic I see nothing wrong with a self bump, if asking for input it is always in place.

James.

15524779-Ti.gif buuuuut one should would add more details, or another pic, or something else that's new.... remember, some folks look and don't comment (generating a 'view') and they don't comment becuase they don't have something to say.... or... they're too busy... or whatever.

remember, 10x or higher views vs. comments...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif buuuuut one should would add more details, or another pic, or something else that's new.... remember, some folks look and don't comment (generating a 'view') and they don't comment becuase they don't have something to say.... or... they're too busy... or whatever.

remember, 10x or higher views vs. comments...
    nod.gif Always add something when you bump, give the viewer value for their time.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    and as a viewer who isn't always able to respond even when the images are enjoyed: please don't let the addition be that you're disappointed that you didn't get responses, or even worse: that such-and-so did get responses, while you didn't. that's making people feel guilty. i'm a sensible person, and when my conscience is played, i don't sleep for days. :whip
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    and as a viewer who isn't always able to respond even when the images are enjoyed: please don't let the addition be that you're disappointed that you didn't get responses, or even worse: that such-and-so did get responses, while you didn't. that's making people feel guilty. i'm a sensible person, and when my conscience is played, i don't sleep for days. :whip

Really?

ginger (I mean on the sleeping thing, I get so tired, haha, cultivating "responders" that I sleep like a baby,rolleyes1.gif )

No, I think this is important.

I have seen people come in and be accepted very fast, have a high level of responses. Ben and Jerry (Jeff) are examples, IMO. They do give bucks for their money. At first it was laughs, then the photos got better and better, one of them got some kind of camera, or something. The photos are really getting good.

So, humor, good photos, and from the beginning, they responded in kind. In most cases, we were not out to "reform" each others work, we were there to comment, though.

I could always count on them. Then there are others, too numerous to name, but they come to mind as successful posters. And, Harry, he was just a pretty face, and a friend of Andy's, haha, not that long ago. I can honestly say, I knew Harry when he used a 300mm to shoot birds (and no tripod, but that might not be a good thing to point out).

I am not as good as some of these people at commenting, at the same time, I am "pretty" good. I would bet that if someone were to do a study, there would be a direct correlation between numbers of comments to people and responses to the poster's own posts. If that sentence makes sense.

How do the orphans get to be orphans? Sometimes, who knows, a number of factors can do it. But if we could all get Ben to write our Thread Title, well he has pulled in people from the beginning with his subject lines.

In this correlation thing, it is more difficult, say, if someone usually responds to me in the Nature forum, and that is nice, but if they post in the sports forum, I don't usually see it to respond. And that is too bad. That is what happens to me in the people/landscape forums. I don't post there often, so I don't often see as many of "those" people, I don't respond as much, and I rarely get many responses to anything I post in those forums.

ginger
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    andy wrote:

So I've been trying to be a good boy about this. I was making bookmarks for the fora sorted by replies, and I gotta tell ya...have you seen the challenge forum in this view? The 0 reply threads--there are so many and they go back really, really far. So far that they're useless at this point in the active forum, IMO.

How is it that things get archived? I know that things do get archived, as I've seen archived posts, but how do they get there? Can we clean up the challenge forum a bit so that it can be more useful?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So I've been trying to be a good boy about this. I was making bookmarks for the fora sorted by replies, and I gotta tell ya...have you seen the challenge forum in this view? The 0 reply threads--there are so many and they go back really, really far. So far that they're useless at this point in the active forum, IMO.

How is it that things get archived? I know that things do get archived, as I've seen archived posts, but how do they get there? Can we clean up the challenge forum a bit so that it can be more useful?

the 0 reply threads are old enough - not goin to worry about cleaning them up. the best thing we can do is for all challengers to contribute as much as possible in the challenge threads.
  • Options
    FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    15524771-Ti.gif

alright you slackers - and yeah, i'm talking to you! *nearly everyone here* could do a better job at responding to orphans - yes, those posts with zero replies that linger linger linger - you can take an extra minute, and come up with a response! remember, those of you that post pics here, you've got to give, to get deal.gif

Many posts (and especially pictures !) leave me totally utterly speechless :D1drink.gif
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2005
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2005
    Francois wrote:
    Many posts (and especially pictures !) leave me totally utterly speechless :D1drink.gif
    cool,

ginger
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    You know, you learn a lot about your own photography when you take the time to look at others. Thanks for the kick in butt andy, it is helping me see my own mistakes by looking at other people's shots.

James.
    It's a great thing, James. I totally agree!
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Well, if anyone is looking for an orphan, I humbly present mine:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=59813
    Posted to Field and Street on 4/24: 0 comments; 48 views
    These aren't that boring...are they???ne_nau.gif
    Thanks
    E