Options

A few hours in Chicago

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited April 28, 2007 in Landscapes
Went to Chicago for a board review course which ran daily from 6:45am til 5pm. That left 6-6:30am and 7:30-9pm to shoot around town. Guess I was forced to shoot in good light. Would love to hear your thoughts!
E

146035296-M.jpg

Merge of three shots
146039066-M.jpg

146048893-M.jpg

146050624-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Forced to shoot in warm light eh? Sounds like a high class problem to me.

Seems like your underexposing most of your shots.
    I'm pretty sure this is culprit to the bright light you have in each of your shots. The only way your going to consistantly overcome this is using manual mode.

Silver sphere example:
    Try to prop your camera up on a book (or jacket or anything) so you can make a very stable platform for the camera. Then try using f22 2.5s ISO100/200. This isn't perfect, but will get you close for that amount of light. This will give the people in the frame a chance to move and blur themselves out of the shot. You could also put your camera on a timer and stand still in the shot for the entire exposure. When you put your camera on timer, it helps you from not moving the camera while you press down the shutter.

#1 is my fav though. Good tonal quality. Still a tad underexposed though.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Forced to shoot in warm light eh? Sounds like a high class problem to me.

Seems like your underexposing most of your shots.
    I'm pretty sure this is culprit to the bright light you have in each of your shots. The only way your going to consistantly overcome this is using manual mode.

Silver sphere example:
    Try to prop your camera up on a book (or jacket or anything) so you can make a very stable platform for the camera. Then try using f22 2.5s ISO100/200. This isn't perfect, but will get you close for that amount of light. This will give the people in the frame a chance to move and blur themselves out of the shot. You could also put your camera on a timer and stand still in the shot for the entire exposure. When you put your camera on timer, it helps you from not moving the camera while you press down the shutter.

#1 is my fav though. Good tonal quality. Still a tad underexposed though.

Thanks for the detailed comments.
    I think underexposure is mostly due to my processing. Use C1pro with the highlight warning and often err on the side of under vs over exposing.

As for the sphere, the camera actually was propped on my crumpler bag (tripod leg had broken days before and was in the process of being replaced). If you look carefully, you can see me lying on the ground next to it to make sure it didn't fall off during the timed exposure.
    Thanks again,
    E
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    I dig the bean shot thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Thanks Andy.

And here's the original for #1 without the C1pro -.5 exposure compensation:
    147462571-M.jpg

E
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,193 moderator
    edited April 27, 2007
    You did good shooting with the narrow window you had. Warm light must be good for the Cloudgate (bean). You caught it just right. These must not have been taken the last four days because I haven't seen the sun since Monday. :cry Glad to have you here in the city and posting these. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    BeaKeRBeaKeR Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    Big Brother Is Watching You!
    I'm surprised nobody commented on the last one - it seems to have the most story to tell. The giant video face looking down on the child, who looks tired (or broken-spirited?) It could be a scene from 1984 or Brave New World. But maybe I'm just more of a sci-fi geek than everyone else here :)

I would like to see it without the dark borders on the sides, but otherwise good.

I like the rest of the shots too, but I think everyone else has discussed them better than I could.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    BeaKeR wrote:
    I'm surprised nobody commented on the last one - it seems to have the most story to tell. The giant video face looking down on the child, who looks tired (or broken-spirited?) It could be a scene from 1984 or Brave New World. But maybe I'm just more of a sci-fi geek than everyone else here :)

I would like to see it without the dark borders on the sides, but otherwise good.

I like the rest of the shots too, but I think everyone else has discussed them better than I could.

Hey Beaker,
    Funny you came up with that title. I actually posted that last one to the current LPS contest with the title "Big Brother is Watching" under the 'artificial' theme.
    E
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    beautiful shots really loving the 2nd and last photo of yoursclap.gif
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2007
    beautiful shots really loving the 2nd and last photo of yoursclap.gif

Thanks a lot.
    The colors in the last one were bothering me a bit.
    What do you think of this:
    147649597-L.jpg

I changed this to be my LPS4 submission.
    E