Options

Planning/packing for the DGrin Acadia ShootOut

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in The Big Picture
This will be my third shootout, and although I am fairly practiced at packing my camera kit bag, I thought we should start a running list.

There is a great thread from stuffjunkie from a few years ago, so check it out.

My list will include:

2 bodies (1dMkIIN and 20d unless the 7D arrives before)
300f4
1.4xTC
24-105

and this is where I will stumble a bit - I had a 24mmTS but have sold it and really wonder about replacing it. I have a 17 - 40 so might throw it in the bag. Or the 50mmf1.4. Will the 70 - 200 make it into the bag?

Circular polarizer
Graduated ND filter - will probably get more
Tripod
P2000 to store shots

Will be buying shutter release cable

Good hikers, comfortable pants that allow for squatting,crawling, etc. Rain gear. Gloves, for early morning shooting. SmugMug hat.

Add your essentials to the list.

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    This question has been asked a few times in various threads year.

my answer to an earlier post:

:D Here are some threads that might help...

StuffJunkie's Glacier Shootout - woulda shoulda -if on thread

one of Andy's list

jdryan3's packing list and another one of his lists
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    DEET or somesort of bug/tick repellant
    I might have missed it in one of the links April posted but I didn't see any mention of bug spray.

Deer ticks, one of the carriers of Lyme Disease, are prevalent in New England. Any of us that are gonna be tromping around in the wilderness while we're up there should take precautions. Deer ticks are active at temps 45 and above and adult ticks are most active in September/October.

The American Lyme Disease Foundation has more info for the curious, ALDF
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    I might have missed it in one of the links April posted but I didn't see any mention of bug spray.
    F
    Nope. not on my any list, but then again, the other shootout locations, bug spray wasn't as high on the list.

Good idea! thumb.gif
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    ALDF
    Rats, and I was rather pleased to note we will be in Maine AFTER mosquito and black fly season. ...OK, bug spray is on the list.

Weather?
    Looking at the weather channel long range forecast, I see we can expect temps from 30 to 70 degrees (F) in Bar Harbor in mid-October. I will presume that will feel colder early on a foggy morning.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Here are the Sunrise/Sunset moonrise/moonset times for 10/9/09
    Twi: 6:10am
    Sunrise: 6:40am
    Sunset: 6:00pm
    Twi: 6:29pm
    Moonrise: 9:25pm
    Moonset: 12:49pm
    [/FONT]

Full moon October 4.
    Half moon October 11
    Details
  • Options
    Anyone else have an FRS radio?
    If we're going to be caravaning from location to location they can be rather handy.
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    If we're going to be caravaning from location to location they can be rather handy.

I'm bringing a couple.
  • Options
    akentakent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2009
    Even if you don't shoot it with a pro, I HIGHLY recommend doing the Bee Hive hike. You scale the side of a mountain (those who are afraid of heights might want to consider others) there is an an amazing view and there is even a beaver lake on top. Sand beech is also at the base of the hike, another great spot for pictures. Wish I had found this forum sooner, I have spent pretty much every summer of my life up there and you guys are in for a treat! thumb.gif
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Bug Spray etc.
    The suggestion about bug spray is a good one. We were out last night and had to brush away the mosquitoes.

Maine has both Lyme disease, deer ticks, and mosquito-borne Eastern Equine Encephalitis in the state. I am not sure if EEE has spread to Mount Desert Island, just be careful if there are mosquitoes around. There probably will not be enough frosts before next week to kill off these critters for the winter. We look for ticks following each time we are out in the woods. Our dog has Lyme disease and she never goes out of our yard.

See you soon.

Knapp and Ella
    Portland, ME
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2009
    Is anyone else EXCITED about the shootout?
    I can hardly sit still...well, maybe I can...but I've been thinking about packing for a while....a bunch. I have lists....

Let's see:
    Cameras & some Lenses
    Tripod
    Circular polarizer, Grad and ND filters (I would like to try the long exposure misty ocean shot)
    laptop, backup supplies
    GPS (I'm driving)
    Ipod (I'm driving)
    FRS radio (see previous post)
    CABLES for everything
    Chargers for everything (anyone tried those universal chargers w/ multiple plus? I have a sack full of cables and wall warts)
    Outlet strip/extension cord

I see the weather for our stay will average 39 to 69 degrees (F) AND there's about 6" of precip in October...so that's more than 1" of something during the week. Yes, week, I'm driving out from Chicagoland.

I bought an OPtech Rainsleve. It's a two pack of covers (um ~ $8) that should cover my longest lens. I doubt it's bulletproof rainware. If there's shooting to be had and it's raining I would like a fighting chance. Anyone used these?
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    I will add Benadryl to my list. Allergic to mosquito and fly bites, and despite using repellant I generally get bit!
    :cry
    knapph wrote:
    The suggestion about bug spray is a good one. We were out last night and had to brush away the mosquitoes.

Maine has both Lyme disease, deer ticks, and mosquito-borne Eastern Equine Encephalitis in the state. I am not sure if EEE has spread to Mount Desert Island, just be careful if there are mosquitoes around. There probably will not be enough frosts before next week to kill off these critters for the winter. We look for ticks following each time we are out in the woods. Our dog has Lyme disease and she never goes out of our yard.

See you soon.

Knapp and Ella
    Portland, ME
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I will add Benadryl to my list. Allergic to mosquito and fly bites, and despite using repellant I generally get bit!
    :cry

good thing you'll have an allergist at your beck and callrolleyes1.gif
    i'll bring some of my magic cream....
    e
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009

Do you mean walkie-talkies?
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited October 3, 2009
    I'm also packing 2 FRS radios. Mine don't have privacy filters - only basic 14 channels.

Kinda beginning the packing today as anxiety builds. Where's the anxiety smilie? EDIT: Here's one :eek1
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Do you mean walkie-talkies?

Yes, these operate on a higher frequency and are somewhat less noisy that what I called walkie-talkies as a kid. The frequency band is commonly called Family Radio Service, it's been around since the mid '90's.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    Yes, these operate on a higher frequency and are somewhat less noisy that what I called walkie-talkies as a kid. The frequency band is commonly called Family Radio Service, it's been around since the mid '90's.

Thanks. I have a newer set so I'll bring mine as well.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    I just put a pair of waterproof/windproof lightly lined pants in - forecast from National Weather Service does not look great :(
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    I can't remember if anyone did this last year, but it'd be pretty useful/cool/etc to update these packing lists AFTER the shootout to see what you brought that you never used and what you wish you HAD brought with you thumb.gif

for all you going, have a blast!
    //Leah
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited October 5, 2009
    Packed. ½ a sleep (all I'll get) to go and I'm off. See everyone there. wave.gif

Reminder: Did everyone get that last email from Kerry? Everybody sign and send in their waiver or bring one along to sign before it begins?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    good thing you'll have an allergist at your beck and callrolleyes1.gif
    i'll bring some of my magic cream....
    e

Yep - I'll have my epipen. I'm allergic to shellfish - can you BELIEVE someone born and bred in the Maritimes is allergic to shellfish?
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    More or less packed. Thank god I'm driving - they'd NEVER let me on a plane with all this stuff. Hopefully there won't be a hassle at the borderheadscratch.gif

See y'all tomorrow!thumb.gif
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    More or less packed. Thank god I'm driving - they'd NEVER let me on a plane with all this stuff. Hopefully there won't be a hassle at the borderheadscratch.gif

See y'all tomorrow!thumb.gif

I feel the same way, although I guess I'm bringing a lot of extra "stuff" just because I can. Hope my little car can make it. Leaving in about an hour to go pick Ann up at the airport in Boston. Looks like their having horrible weather over the Great Lakes area & Minnesota - her flight is already delayed. I think we are getting that horrible weather tomorrow on the East Coast. Wednesday is supposed to be a total wash out all day - just what I love - driving in the rain!!

Stephanie
  • Options
    jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I feel the same way, although I guess I'm bringing a lot of extra "stuff" just because I can. Hope my little car can make it. Leaving in about an hour to go pick Ann up at the airport in Boston. Looks like their having horrible weather over the Great Lakes area & Minnesota - her flight is already delayed. I think we are getting that horrible weather tomorrow on the East Coast. Wednesday is supposed to be a total wash out all day - just what I love - driving in the rain!!

Stephanie

Better to drive in the rain than shoot in it!

I'm quite excited, haven't ever done anything of this magnitude before, and most "photo trips" I take, I end up not being able to shoot during optimal hours.

Bringing a 30D (sadly my only SLR body, sold my 300D a while back as I never used it)
    10-22
    17-55
    55-250IS (for my small bag/around town)
    100-400L (For my... well, it barely fits! I'm surprised I can get it in to my Micro Trekker)
    Extra memory, chargers, batteries, etc. If anyone needs BP-511s, I'll be ready ;)
    Tripod, monopod, gorillapod

A710IS - Not exactly the best secondary camera in the world, but it'll suffice for a few snapshots.

Is the 100-400 stupid? I figure there may be an opportunity to shoot a bit of wildlife while we're up there - or is it too late in the season for that sort of thing?
    -Jeff
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Shooting Wildlife
    [quote=there may be an opportunity to shoot a bit of wildlife[/quote]

That depends on how many cruise ships are in port in Bar Harbor. The species of wildlife that will accompany the ships is seen only during the day as the ships depart late afternoon for the next port. The ships scheduled while we are there include: Constellation, Caribbean Princess, Norwegian Spirit, Crown Princess, and the Costa Atlantica. I saw the Constellation in Portland today, kinda big (1900 passengers). Look out for buses full of tourists, especially when you are on the side of the Park Loop Road and need to back up onto the road just a little bit to frame your shot perfectly. One of our friends hit someone who was doing this (friend was on a bicycle and got the worst end of the deal).

Knapp

Portland, ME