Options

2006: post shooutout

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 15, 2006 in The Big Picture
I'm starting this thread to gather participants/recon/info/etc on the possible POST shooutout trip.

My current plans are to go to the main event first (so I can learn), and then use this knowldege on nearby wonders of the world - Antelope Canyon, Lake Powel Dam, Rainbow Bridge, other Great Arches, Monuments Valley. I woudl skip Grand Canyon since I already been there, although I may consider a North Rim detour(South Rim would take too long).
I'm thinking of an extra week or so.

Possible venues are: rent RVs or 4WDs, design the rout (maybe get some tours) and have another blast!
$-wise: RW rent is about $600 per week, if we get 2-3 paying entries per vehicle it becomes very reasonable..

Tell me what you think!

[Jan 14 2006: Updated detailed schedule: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=12147&page=10]
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    sounds terrific Nik. that whole area is packed with wonders just begging to be Smug-Muged. count me in for Shoot-Out 2006, part two.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    Yessir!
    kudbegud wrote:
    sounds terrific Nik. that whole area is packed with wonders just begging to be Smug-Muged. count me in for Shoot-Out 2006, part two.
    I believe 4Labs and WxWax were thinking in the same direction, as well, as Jwear and DavidTO. It can be quite a party:-)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2005
    I think it's a great idea. Be nice if we can coordinate schedules and all get the time off.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2005
    It'd be AWESOME!
    wxwax wrote:
    I think it's a great idea. Be nice if we can coordinate schedules and all get the time off.
    But if i learned anything from this past trip (in addition to *not* taking my own car:-) it is this extra should be AFTER the main event. I learned so much during it that I now feel stupid about the way I was shooting before.. :-(
    So, guys, it's GOTTA be AFTER. Which kinda makes it perfect. Main event ends on Sunday, and we can have the whole extra week!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    Anyone Want a Passenger???
    :D
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm starting this thread to gather participants/recon/info/etc on the possible POST shooutout trip.

My current plans are to go to the main event first (so I can learn), and then use this knowldege on nearby wonders of the world - Antelope Canyon, Lake Powel Dam, Rainbow Bridge, other Great Arches, Monuments Valley. I woudl skip Grand Canyon since I already been there, although I may consider a North Rim detour(South Rim would take too long).
    I'm thinking of an extra week or so.

Possible venues are: rent RVs or 4WDs, design the rout (maybe get some tours) and have another blast!
    $-wise: RW rent is about $600 per week, if we get 2-3 paying entries per vehicle it becomes very reasonable..

Tell me what you think!
    Funny you should suggest something like this........I was saying to Andy it's a long way to go to USA from Australia for just 4 days....... I'd like to do something like your planning, if anyone is willing to let me join the group.

I'd like to be counted in if possible too :D:D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Great news, Skippy!
    Skippy wrote:
    :D
    Funny you should suggest something like this........I was saying to Andy it's a long way to go to USA from Australia for just 4 days....... I'd like to do something like your planning, if anyone is willing to let me join the group.

I'd like to be counted in if possible too :D:D Skippy (Australia)
    We simply need to come out with a basic plan and start making reservations (otherwise I doubt will find enough RVs/4WDs for everybody to rent, and the camping may be reserved)
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    What is the POST shootout?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    As it can be seen from the thread itself
    Bodley wrote:
    What is the POST shootout?
    Post-shootout is a shootout that is gonna happen AFTER the main shootout (as opposed to a PRE shootout thay happens BEFORE the main event (which I did this year and not gonna do next year).
    HTH
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    Nik I could probably stay around for the rest of the week. I will have my Jeep down there, so that is one less car you would have to rent. Hard for me to plan that far in advance... but I am 80% sure I could make it happen :)
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Post-shootout is a shootout that is gonna happen AFTER the main shootout (as opposed to a PRE shootout thay happens BEFORE the main event (which I did this year and not gonna do next year).
    HTH
    I know this will make me look stupid (what's new) but what is the Shootout?headscratch.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Shootout
    Bodley wrote:
    I know this will make me look stupid (what's new) but what is the Shootout?headscratch.gif
    I guess it's a jargon term used to describe a bunch of photo geeks and geeketts getting together and shooting out all they possibly can. Usually takes places where beautiful landscapes are readily availalbe (CA, Utah, etc). Often involves food.
    HTH
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I guess it's a jargon term used to describe a bunch of photo geeks and geeketts getting together and shooting out all they possibly can. Usually takes places where beautiful landscapes are readily availalbe (CA, Utah, etc). Often involves food.
    HTH
    So I take it there is not a program per-say or training seminars etc... Just a somewhat impromptu get-together not sponsored by any company or organization.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    here's a couple links i got for antelope canyon:

a map: http://www.antelopecanyon.com/map.html
    general info: http://www.blackrabbit.com/antelope.htm
    one, of several tour guides, which is required: http://www.jeeptour.com/
    more info, including slot canyons at zion, some pics: http://www.americansouthwest.net/slot_canyons/antelope_canyon/
    and some photos, i also posted this link in the main Bryce/Zion thread: http://www.antelopecanyon.com/photos.html
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    bodley,

It is sponsored by Smugmug.com. Hoever let me warn you unlike the name states your not actually allowed to shoot anything out (windows, doors, mirrors, etc) your only allowed to take pictures (talk about a dissapointment :uhoh). Its an organized impromtu workshop without any rules or guildines. Does that help.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    bodley,

It is sponsored by Smugmug.com. Hoever let me warn you unlike the name states your not actually allowed to shoot anything out (windows, doors, mirrors, etc) your only allowed to take pictures (talk about a dissapointment :uhoh). Its an organized impromtu workshop without any rules or guildines. Does that help.
    Yes, that helps allot thumb.gif but I haven't quite filled my daily stupid-question-quota for the day, so here's one more.

I'm sure it staring me in the face - but where's the information on the outing?
    Greg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Yes, that helps allot thumb.gif but I haven't quite filled my daily stupid-question-quota for the day, so here's one more.

I'm sure it staring me in the face - but where's the information on the outing?
    in the thread titled

smugmug shootout 2006 - bryce canyon and zion national park
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Cleverly disguised rolleyes1.gif

Beep - Quota filled

Thanks fir the link. If I couldn't find the link I guess finding Bryce Canyon is out of the question.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    lol nah things move fast here stuff gets lost. Hell I keep misplacing my rubber band balls.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Cleverly disguised rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif Cunning, that. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2005
    i know it's almost a year away and it may be hard to say for sure if you'd like to continue after the 2006 shootout to Antelope Canyon, Lake Powel Dam, Rainbow Bridge, other Great Arches and Monuments Valley. i would like to get a real preliminary idea of how many are concidering it. which places you really want to shoot at? will you need a motel room? i will call area motels as well as required tour guides and try to get us a group rate. any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.

thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    We need to start planning
    kudbegud wrote:
    i know it's almost a year away and it may be hard to say for sure if you'd like to continue after the 2006 shootout to Antelope Canyon, Lake Powel Dam, Rainbow Bridge, other Great Arches and Monuments Valley. i would like to get a real preliminary idea of how many are concidering it. which places you really want to shoot at? will you need a motel room? i will call area motels as well as required tour guides and try to get us a group rate. any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.
    thanks!
    I talked to a guy at work who used to live not far away from there and he mentioned that those campgrounds can fill up quickly.

We would have to plan our trip anyway, so why don't we do it sometime soon? We are already commiting to be at the Bryce/Zion parks anyway, so additional commiting should not break our backs:-)

My current idea is:
    * fly to St.George/Las Vegas (first is closer, second maybe cheeper airfare wise, and it's a huge international airport, so our european/aussie friends would not have extra troubles getting there)
    * together with smbdy (2-3-4 ppl?) rent a decent car/van to get an easy/cheap transport to the Canyons and back
    * shoot our souls out in the Canyons
    * get back to the rental place on Sunday
    * submit car/van
    * together with the post-shooters get at least one RV and maybe some extra jeeps/cars. RV is needed for the shower and easy meal storage/cooking, since many campsites do not showers and it is HOT out there, so having your own fridge/shower/stove would ease things up alot. It is nice to get not only RVs since we could take some radial trips without the hassle of hauling those behemoths.

I would like to spent the all next week and Mon+Tue on the road. Get back to rental/airport on Wednesday midday/afternoon, fly home, back to work on Thursday - easy two day week:-)

We can setup an online meeting (messenger? icq?) and discuss the details.

Waddayathink?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    Wax, 4Labs, Jwear, Kudbegood?
    Any thoughts?ne_nau.gif I know we all hate to plan year ahead, but since have we already started...
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2005
    Okay, I think I'm going in too :D so if we're going to communicate over this LMK :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2005
    Awesome, Michiel!
    Okay, I think I'm going in too :D so if we're going to communicate over this LMK :D
    U da man!

Ok, guys/gals, here's the deal. I'm willing to plan, arrange and do the logistics on the whole thing, but I would really like to see 2 more ppl commiting. This will give me enough assurance that we can rent an RV for 10 days and that would not cost us an arm and a leg.
    Again, the plan is to get to from Zion to Las Vegas on Sunday, spend the afternoon/evening, hit the Strip, get some action (dancing fountains, not the other action:-), get some nice dinner/drinks, spend the night - and the next morning get the reserved RV and hit the road. Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Arches... and whatever else we'll decide/manage to go to.
    Get back to Vegas next Wednesday (i.e. in 10 days) - and then proceed with our individual plans...
    If the reservations require some major advance payments (like in the main shootout case) - hotels, RV, campsites, tours - I will ask for your portions in advance, too.

I'm eager to hear your comments/suggestions/snide remarks/etc.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    Nikolai, let me give it some thought.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    Most definitely!
    wxwax wrote:
    Nikolai, let me give it some thought.
    Another idea: few guys at work mentioned a possibility to rent a houseboat on Lake Powell. They said that's the only way to get to some otherwise unreachable locations. It's essentially a barge with a nice cabin, 3-4 bedroom, patio on the roof, you can do BBQ, it has shower, etc.

But guys - I' keep hearing these places can get really packed. We need to start making reservations soon. So far it's only me and Michiel, we need two more to commit (and hopefully 4-6 more tentatively), so we can be sure.

It's gonna be a blast, come on, pitch in!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    Teaser again
    Come on, guys and gals, look at what you will be missing if you don't join the post-shootout:):
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2005
    Hey Nik,
    I have to wait just a bit to commit. The baby is due in October and I just have to straighten the help situation out.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2005
    I see..
    4labs wrote:
    Hey Nik,
    I have to wait just a bit to commit. The baby is due in October and I just have to straighten the help situation out.
    Hope everything is ok with the mother thus far..

Is anybody else expecting a baby anytime soon:-)? If not - what's *your* excuse?:D
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    I'm seriously considering this. My problem is that I only get 2 weeks vacation a year, the post trip will really drain that. But it would probably be worth it. I'll let you know.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto