Options

Cheap LP-E6 replacement battery

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited April 5, 2011 in Accessories
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• Options
    ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I've tried twice on separate occasions and to be honest - TERRIBLE.

Go with genuine batteries, I know they are more expensive but believe me they are SO much more reliable and better
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Scotto wrote:
    I've tried twice on separate occasions and to be honest - TERRIBLE.

Go with genuine batteries, I know they are more expensive but believe me they are SO much more reliable and better

Did you try this particular type of battery? The LP-E6 for the 5D II.
    Because I previously bought BP511 replacement batteries with 1500mAh
    for a Canon 10D and had no problems. They were good for about 750
    exposures and lasted 3 years.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    I've ordered some, hopefully they get here before my trip at the end of the month.

I'll let you know how they go.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2009
    jogle wrote:
    I've ordered some, hopefully they get here before my trip at the end of the month.

I'll let you know how they go.

Thanks! thumb.gif
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Well they certainly arrived quickly. 4 days from Hong Kong to New Zealand.

2 batteries, their charger (which is much better for traveling then the Canon one) and a little glossy page with the same instructions and pictures from on ebay.

It's charging now, I'll let you know how it goes.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2009
    Well it charged up ok and seems to power the camera fine. It gives the "Cannot comunicate with battery, use this battery?" screen when first starting after putting the battery in. It doesn't bring it up again if you just turn the power off, you have to open the door.

Just to see what would happen, I chose the the cancel option and the camera just turns off and brings up the screen when you turn it on again.

I took a few pics comparing it to the Canon battery. (taken with the new one so you know it works.)

455623788_XKAKQ-M.jpg
    455623910_z5Hwd-M.jpg

455624211_UHyFr-M.jpg455624055_9BFpD-M.jpg

I've had good luck with off brand batteries. I've bought 4 of the 511 ones in total since I got my 10D (back when they were new) and they are all still going just as strong as the ones that came with the cameras.

I'm still planning on buying another Canon LP-E6 when I can get one and keeping these for backup. But seeing as I'm going on a 3 week trip to Canada and Vegas next week, and the camera shops here are doubtful they'll have them by then, These ones will definately get a work out.

For 1/8th the price of the Canon ones, even if they get 1/4 the life. You definately get good value out of off brand batteries.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    I am very tempted to buy them myself. Did your batteries arrive with instructions to leave the batteries 2 or 3 additional hours in the charger for maximum load?
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    yes, the instructions say in fantastic engrish "Be sure to observe followings: Please make the charger continue work 2 hours after LED turns to green"
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    Ok so I can confirm the batteries work really well. I've been using one for two full days of skiing in Canada, 12 gig of photos (raw) and video so far and still on the first charge. Did I mention that that the temp gets to a high of -20 degees Celcius in the sun? eek7.gif
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2009
    In the meantime I ordered two+charger as well.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2009
    My personal experience with off-brand replacements for BP-511 (all probably Taiwan-made, but obtained through various sources, both here in US, trough ebay and directly from HK) is a very mixed one. No explosions, thanks heavens, but most of them lose the ability to charge after a few months, or are only able of keeping that charge for a very short and totally inadequate time. The bottom line: I decided to stop using knock-offs and pay the price for original Canon's, both for 50D (and now for 5D2).
    Now I'm sitting on the pile of 7 (seven) BP-511 replacements which are kinda working, but not reliably.ne_nau.gif I would love putting them FS , but since I can't guarantee their condition I'm really hesitant about it...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. I had the same kind of experience until I found the right dealer.
    You can make them out by the warranty the offer. Mine offered a full 3 year warranty.
    Another tip is to not buy those 1800mAh BP511 batteries. Cells of this capacity simply
    don't exist. 1500mAh cells is the maximum Sanyo and Co. produce. Those cells are
    often rebranded by Panasonic, Sony etc. and live inside a quality BP511.

The BP-E6 i bought is working fine so war. It does not have a warranty. Time will tell if they are good...
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    leeallenphotographyleeallenphotography Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2009
    jogle wrote:
    Ok so I can confirm the batteries work really well. I've been using one for two full days of skiing in Canada, 12 gig of photos (raw) and video so far and still on the first charge. Did I mention that that the temp gets to a high of -20 degees Celcius in the sun? eek7.gif

Hi there...

thanks for posting on the 3rd party batteries....

How are they doing? Also do you still get the power indicator on the top of the camera with the 3rd party batteries?

thanks

http://www.leeallenphotography.co.uk
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    Hi there...

thanks for posting on the 3rd party batteries....

How are they doing? Also do you still get the power indicator on the top of the camera with the 3rd party batteries?

thanks

http://www.leeallenphotography.co.uk

Leeallenphotography, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Unfortunately the EBay cheap LP-E6 replacement batteries are of the "dumb" variety in that they do not exchange information with the body. When you install the cheap battery you will get a warning from the camera that the camera does not understand the battery and there is no power indication for the battery.

You either run the battery until it is spent, at which time the camera shuts down, or you run the battery for a number of shots and swap the battery out after the number of shots has transpired. (The number of shots would be predetermined by you based on your experience with the battery in question.)

It is rather like most motorcycles which you fill with gasoline based on the number of miles driven. While changing batteries by the number of shots is slightly inconvenient, it's really not that bad to do.

Likewise the cheap batteries cannot be charged by the Canon factory charger and the cheap charger will not charge the factory battery(ies). You need to develop a new discipline about battery usage or just retire the factory batteries temporarily and use nothing but the cheap batteries and charger.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    _my_pov_my_pov Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

Unfortunately the EBay cheap LP-E6 replacement batteries are of the "dumb" variety in that they do not exchange information with the body. When you install the cheap battery you will get a warning from the camera that the camera does not understand the battery and there is no power indication for the battery.

You either run the battery until it is spent, at which time the camera shuts down, or you run the battery for a number of shots and swap the battery out after the number of shots has transpired. (The number of shots would be predetermined by you based on your experience with the battery in question.)

It is rather like most motorcycles which you fill with gasoline based on the number of miles driven. While changing batteries by the number of shots is slightly inconvenient, it's really not that bad to do.

Likewise the cheap batteries cannot be charged by the Canon factory charger and the cheap charger will not charge the factory battery(ies). You need to develop a new discipline about battery usage or just retire the factory batteries temporarily and use nothing but the cheap batteries and charger.

delkin has joined the fray although they have not emailed ME as they promised..they would when they were ready to bring their version of the LP-E6 to market

I paid a "scalper" online scalper...147 bucks for a Canon LP-E6

I figured far better to be safe than sorry even at that price.

this camera deserves the best
    A Canon 5DmkII is my "third eye"
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

No, the charger that came with my ebay batteries charges the canon battery just fine, it says so in the instructions and I've done it a few times.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    _my_pov wrote:
    delkin has joined the fray although they have not emailed ME as they promised..they would when they were ready to bring their version of the LP-E6 to market

I paid a "scalper" online scalper...147 bucks for a Canon LP-E6

I figured far better to be safe than sorry even at that price.

this camera deserves the best

_my_pov, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I do intend to purchase a genuine Canon LP-E6 as they become common but since I haven't seen any terrible negative testimony regarding the EBay replacement batteries I decided to give them a try. So far I have no issues with the batteries themselves in that they do what they were designed to do. The first charger I used burned up and that was not pleasant but the vendor seems legitimate and has promised to ship a replacement to me today.

I do regard the EBay LP-E6 type batteries as a temporary solution and they seem fine towards that end.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    jogle wrote:
    No, the charger that came with my ebay batteries charges the canon battery just fine, it says so in the instructions and I've done it a few times.

That's curious. The system I got had no documentation and I read from another user that the Canon and EBay systems should not be mixed. I wonder if there are different sorts of 3rd party chargers out there? I am hesitant to try my only genuine Canon battery in a 3rd party charger unless it says it is compatible. (The charger is kaput right now anyway.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    That's curious. The system I got had no documentation and I read from another user that the Canon and EBay systems should not be mixed. I wonder if there are different sorts of 3rd party chargers out there? I am hesitant to try my only genuine Canon battery in a 3rd party charger unless it says it is compatible. (The charger is kaput right now anyway.)

I can charge my canon battery in the cheapo charger. But I only tried this because it was in the item description on ebay. Both are LiIon chargers so there shouldn't be a big difference anyway.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I can charge my canon battery in the cheapo charger. But I only tried this because it was in the item description on ebay. Both are LiIon chargers so there shouldn't be a big difference anyway.

The difference, as was explained to me, is how the Canon charger communicates with the battery during the charge to determine some data which the camera will later interrogate to produce battery health data. I have no idea if that is factual information or not.

Note that the actual Canon charger does have more contacts, labeled "C" and "T", and I am not sure how those are used.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 14, 2009
    I have used the BP 511 clones from Sterlingtek.com without incident. LIke NIk some work better than others, but not exactly like the EOS versions from Canon.

One thing that concerns me if one of the clone batteries for the 5D MKII melts down and damages your camera, you are on your own with no warranty from Canon. That is kind of a sobering thought. Less concern in my 40D, but more so in a 5DMKII

I am still looking for a second battery from Canon for my 5DMKII as well.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I alluded to this in another post about Canon raising prices, but two weeks ago I was on a mad search for the LP-E6 here in Calgary, Canada. I managed to find them in stock and super cheap (relatively) at my new favorite store (great prices, service and selection) called Robinson's Camera (am I allowed to provide a link? if so: www.robinsonscamera.com). It's owner-operated, and he says he ships inter-provincially, so maybe that means internationally, too.

Bottom line, though, is that I got an LP-E6 for $90 Canadian, which translates into $75 USD (pre-price increases recently). Might be worth a call to those of you interested. mwink.gif

And, prices on every product I have checked have gone up here in my neck of the woods - 10-15%. :cry
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    Speaking of LP-E6 batteries, Tallyn's web site is showing that they have the real thing in stock RIGHT NOW for $75. eek7.gif Go git 'em.

http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?ic=3347B001

-joel
  • Options
    Wildcat61Wildcat61 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2011
    aftermarket battery problem
    ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Can anyone help? my "dumb" ebay batteries won't power my Canon 7D after one recharge.... they worked fine initially (after i told the camera to use them despite it's lack of recognition). After i recharged them (on their charger, not Canon) the camera doesn't power up with them again.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2011
    Wildcat61 wrote: »
    ne_nau.gif

Can anyone help? my "dumb" ebay batteries won't power my Canon 7D after one recharge.... they worked fine initially (after i told the camera to use them despite it's lack of recognition). After i recharged them (on their charger, not Canon) the camera doesn't power up with them again.

I did get a bad charger that would not charge the batteries even though the light came on. A new charger solved the problem. (I purchased the second charger with another set of batteries from a different supplier.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    Seems like this situation with the battery chargers is a hit and miss affair.
    I too am in the market for a second battery for my 5dmk2.
    I have used after market batteries on my 40d charged with my canon battery charger with no problems for over 3 years now.
    So all i can ask is where can i find the most reliable battery source for my 5dmk2 given that some here have had experience with different variations.

Regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2011
    Seems like this situation with the battery chargers is a hit and miss affair.
    I too am in the market for a second battery for my 5dmk2.
    I have used after market batteries on my 40d charged with my canon battery charger with no problems for over 3 years now.
    So all i can ask is where can i find the most reliable battery source for my 5dmk2 given that some here have had experience with different variations.

Regards
    Patrick.:D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=179713
    ziggy53
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2011
    I have used Phottix clones- Good results!
    Most of these cloned batteries should be more than adequate for replacing the original batteries. Just don't buy from a site or a supplier that sells jewelery and batteries. Sites such as Battery Expert are going to sell you a good product because they know batteries. The chargers that properly charge these batteries are called "burp" chargers - that release the gases of the charge at certain intervals for proper charging which is very important. Now were you are buying from will provide you the results in which you are seeking.

Good luck!

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    I get mine from SterlingTek out of N.M. and they are the best after markets
    that I have found. I used them on my Minoltas/Sonys and now my
    Canon 7D and 40D. I've been using them for years.

They don't hold a charge quite as long as the Canon,
    but they're close and they are around $30 if you buy them through the Amazon
    site. I think they are made in CHina, but with Japanese cells.
    For some reason they are more expensive through the SterlingTek site?

Manfr3d wrote: »
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2011
    OK, I'm puzzled. I've been considering Sterlingtek 511s, which seem to get pretty favorable reviews (one above). However, one poster wrote:
    Another tip is to not buy those 1800mAh BP511 batteries. Cells of this capacity simply
    don't exist. 1500mAh cells is the maximum Sanyo and Co. produce. Those cells are
    often rebranded by Panasonic, Sony etc. and live inside a quality BP511.

Sterlingtek offers only two, which they claim are rated at 2000mAh and 2200 mAh respectively. Anyone know if these are real?

I do know that Ansmann makes 2850mAh AAs, and the 511 is two cells that size, right?